Exercise novice help needed

Options
Help really. I'm sick of being a far cow, who is shockingly unfit. I was thinking of doing the 30 day shred and the couch to 5k together. I was just wondering if it's possible to do both together? Like coach to 5k mon, weds,fri then TDS tues, thurs, sat, with 1 day off. Or is that too much excersise?!? Any advice is much appreciated

Replies

• bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    If you aren't already in good condition, no, you shouldn't do both together. Those recovery days are when you actually get the benefits of the exercise - if you don't take them, you'll burn some calories (a depressingly small number compared to what's in a slice of pizza) but you won't get fitter and eventually you start running the risk of injuring yourself and/or burning out. Build your base first, then go from there.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    It's not too much exercise, but it does sound like it's all cardio. Maybe do a bodyweight strength training program instead of TDS?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It's all cardio, so as long as your body can hold up to it, do whatever you want.
  • PrincessMissDee
    PrincessMissDee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    If you're not exercising at the moment then pick one and focus on it. Agreed you will get better results if you do one properly than if you try to do both without rest days but also both those programmes can tire out those who are used to exercise. Most people struggle with motivation half way through them when it gets harder so chances are you'll give up on both.

Why not choose one, and really challenge yourself to complete it first? If you're successful then you can re-do it, with the second one.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Why not just start with one? You will be less likely to burn out. Once you stop feeling uber sore, think about incorporating the other.
  • Opie1980
    Opie1980 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The couch to 5k is an excellent program if you want to start running. If you are really unfit then I wouldn't do a 6 day cardio regimen. Do one and maybe some walking or an elliptical or some other type of cross training where you are not working as hard. Strength training is always a great option to as someone mentioned above me.
  • Shaky44
    Shaky44 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    30DS certainly has a cardio emphasis, but I wouldn't classify it as simply a cardio program.
  • emilydinah
    emilydinah Posts: 10
    Options
    If you're just beginning an exercise program, it may be a little too much too soon. It's great you're thinking of training for a 5K! If you know you want to set the 5K as a primary goal, I would focus on training for that first. Once you've completed your race, you can experiment with adding the other regimen into your training. Basically, I would suggest prioritizing one or the other in the beginning, then adding in additional training once you've improved your fitness level. Good luck!
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hi friend! I would say that I've started on couch to 5K a couple of times, they recommend you do 3X/week. I always get really excited and start pounding through the workouts.... only to have a twinge in my knee and loose all enthusiasm 5 weeks later.... I would offer a recommendation that you try simple: 3 days a week of cardio is a great start. Maybe mix it up though, 2 days of couch to 5k, 1 day of the other. Then eventually you may want to try some weight training... I am currently in love with "boot camp style" classes, because in 45 minutes I get both and its feels efficient and definitely makes me sore! Good luck on your new exercise journey!
  • rinn09103974
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I don't have a race to do, but i just wanted to do some physical activity. I like the idea of doing the couch to 5k 3 days then adding TDS as i get fitter.
  • rinn09103974
    Options
    Ohhh i really like the idea of alternating. That will be good for days when it's raining really bad. Or i just don't feel like going for a run as i can do the shred in the kitchen!!!
  • Shaky44
    Shaky44 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I think picking one is probably the best move. I do think you should have a plan as to what to do on the "other" days, as there is no issue doing cardio more than 3x per week. I would go one of two ways: either a very low impact cardio (bike, elliptical) or weight training, or a combination of the two. You're going to be putting some stress on your body from the impact of running, thus the very low impact.

No one is in worse shape than I am and I'm doing elliptical 6-7x per week. Nothing wrong with doing cardio every day and you will get results more quickly.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    30DS and C35K are both pretty high-impact for a novice exercise. Many beginners feel just one give them sore joints, especially knees, until their muscles get strong enough to support them. Why not exercise every other day, so one week you'll total three and the next week four? If you're looking for something to add into C25K, I'd suggest a bodyweight resistance circuit - say squats, push-ups, lunges, triceps dips, planks and bicycle crunches.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    30DS certainly has a cardio emphasis, but I wouldn't classify it as simply a cardio program.

Totally agree. It's frustrating when people who lift heavy classify it this way. It's circuit training. I did this (and many other Jillian DVDs with weights) and got a LOT stronger and got some great muscle definition. No, it's not lifting heavy, but if you've never done any kind of strength training, it's an excellent intro and shows you the possibilities of being stronger.

To the OP: I would recommend doing each program in succession. I would do 30 Day Shred first, like maybe during the month of June. Then in July do C25K and after doing 30DS, C25K should seem pretty easy. I've done both of these programs and love them!