What do you do when....

Options
you are absolutely so tired you couldn't possibly even think about working out but know you have to do it anyway. I'm exhausted and still have two more hours at work. The thought of working out when I get home just exhausts me even more but I know I need to do it. For those of you who have felt this way before, what gets you motivated enough to workout when you're so tired you'd rather not? Thanks!

Replies

• tectonic
    tectonic Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't think about it until you are doing it.
  • JUSTFORME2010
    JUSTFORME2010 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    This is the key. You allow yourself to decide if you will go or not. It is like eating dinner or going to work it is a part of your day no matter. Eventhough you are tired you still need to stay 2 more hours at work and eat dinner tonight so what you do is tell your mind that it is something you are going to do no matter what. If you workout a little less that is fine.

I use to do that all the time I use to tell myself it is ok..... I will make up for it.....I have a lot of other stuff to do.....I am too tired.....and it is all us trying to convince ourselfs that we can skip something we need to do.

GO AHEAD....GO you will feel so much better!!!!
  • daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    dont think. just do it
  • lessjess1
    lessjess1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    If you're truly too tired to work out today, don't, but then you have to eat less. I workout so I can have a hearty dinner and dessert!
  • Amber030583
    Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    If you use workout dvd's just put one in and hit play. Next thing you know you will be up working out. I know it sounds corny but it works!
  • kk_stephens
    kk_stephens Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    You could try some B vistmins -- great for stress and energy.
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    And don't let yourself sit down at home until you do the exercise! Once you sit down at home you are FINISHED!
  • shannie_lou
    shannie_lou Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Pop in a workout video and commit to just 5 min of working out. If you can get yourself to do this you will always succeed-5 min is better than nothing-win! More often than not if you do 5 min you'll want to do more-win again!
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    If you use workout dvd's just put one in and hit play. Next thing you know you will be up working out. I know it sounds corny but it works!

This is what works for me. I hit play, start moving and then I hear my HRM kick in with it's beeping. I start to not feel as tired and then by the time I'm dripping sweat and starting to actually feel tired, the workout is over. POOF, 40 minutes of exercise and 400 someodd calories burned DONE!!!!

Or, just go outside for a walk and use landmarks. Tell yourself you will walk to that tree. When you get there, find another landmark and keep going. Next thing you know, you've walked a good distance in half an hour and there's your workout!!!
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    It is very hard to get into the "groove" of working out daily. I get up early and get it done in the morning, basically before I wake up too much to even think about it.
    On days that I get up late and just don't have time to fit it in (I have to get up at 5am to fit in a workout) I come home from work and put on my exercise clothes and running shoes and just do it right away . . . don't listen to your voicemail, don't look through the mail received, don't pick up the newspaper you didn't read in the morning . . . just get to it the moment you get home . . . force yourself if necessary. After a while it just becomes a habit and it isn't so hard to force yourself to do it!
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I find that sometimes by the end of my workday that I don't have the energy to workout (not to mention time) so what I do is go for a walk on my lunch break, and do situps and squats and stuff like that in my office. That way even if I don't have it in me to workout in the evening then I have done at least 20 mins of activity. Sometimes doing fitness at work will give me an energy boost as well! Plus it helps with workplace stress!
  • Tonyv01
    Tonyv01 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    For me, I found that I had to switch to mornings because that feeling after working all day was a constant battle.
    For today, maybe just grab that cute dog of yours in the photo and go for a walk. When I feel I absolutely cannot workout (missed my morning session), I grab the leash and walk my English Bulldog. For those that know Bullies you know this is a short workout.:happy:
    Somehow knowing that about the walk takes the stress away, and it often leads to me working out more.
    If that gets you feeling better keep going, if not it's still something. There is another thread were folks talk about their favorite workout tunes. Slap on the headphones when you get home and see if that pumps you up!
  • summerblunden
    summerblunden Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    The hardest part about going to the gym is putting on your shoes. Once you do that, everything else is easy. Think about how GOOD you will feel when you go to bed tonight knowing you didn't want to work out, but you did anyway, and your body is thanking you for it.
  • grizrules
    Options
    It is hard but they are right, don't think about it - sometimes I take my gym gear to work and change and then go straight to the gym without going home first or, if I go home first, change directly and go. I know that if I sit for a minute or start doing something else, it makes it hard to get up and go! Once you are there and working out and, most especially, when you are finished the work out, you will feel very glad you went! I am not able to work out in the morning due to my metabolism so forced to do it after work which I know can be difficult but I am starting to see results of my interval training and toning up and it makes it easier to work out! Good luck and happy working out!
  • bigphatloser
    bigphatloser Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Accountability works for me. When my motivation is low, I purposely tell my wife I'm gonna go to the gym (usually the next morning in my case)...not that she cares or keeps tabs on me, but it forces my hand because I feel like a loser if I say I'm gonna work out and then don't end up going!
  • missouri_rain
    missouri_rain Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I actually have this same problem a lot.....and what I do it tell myself just give it 10 minutes, I figure I can do anything for 10 minutes.... the mind games help me a lot.....by the time that 10 minutes is up, I'm perking up and I continue going....give it a try....
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    you are absolutely so tired you couldn't possibly even think about working out but know you have to do it anyway. I'm exhausted and still have two more hours at work. The thought of working out when I get home just exhausts me even more but I know I need to do it. For those of you who have felt this way before, what gets you motivated enough to workout when you're so tired you'd rather not? Thanks!

Contrairian here. But are you talking "you got 4 hours of sleep last night and just want to go to bed, tired"? At that point it would be better to go to bed. If it's the "I just want to sit in front of the TV tired"? I'll tell myself that working out will make me feel better, and I'll sleep better.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I find that I just make myself go for 30 minutes. if at 30 minutes into the work out I still am not feeling re-energized, I go home. But 99% of the time I find that I want to keep going and end up staying for 45 to 60.
  • suzyharlan1
    Options
    Gosh, you guys, this is awesome! Thanks for the pep talks. I can at least do 10 mins. of SOMETHING when I get home and that will more than likely lead to more time. All great ideas. Okay, I'm fired up and ready to go!!!
  • sngnyrslp
    sngnyrslp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    And don't let yourself sit down at home until you do the exercise! Once you sit down at home you are FINISHED!

Haha that's SO true. As soon as I sit down after classes or work and take of my shoes, I'm pretty much in for the night. I'll remember this tip the next time I'm about to take "a short rest" before working out!