How to begin (exercising)???

Options

Replies

• OhSweetEnigma
    Options
    I would definitely recommend a workout buddy! it gives you the push in the beginning to get out of the house. I also enjoy taking classes at my gym, spin is particularly addicting. Eventually exercise will become reason enough to get out and go :)
    Good Luck!!
  • AmandaReimer1
    AmandaReimer1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    As some have said, fit it into your life. Do you need to workout 5-6 days a week? No. I workout 3 times a week Mon, Wed, and Friday afternoons during my toddlers nap time. It's an appointment. I find for me if sometimes I can switch the days up, sometimes I can't because I get lazy. I'm a bit of a routine person.

Now that the weather is better I do purposely get out more for walks, but that's more to benefit my toddler than me.
  • henriettevanittersum
    henriettevanittersum Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Anything is better than nothing, I told myself. So I started on the elliptical resistance 2 and went 30 min at a speed of 55... Fast forward 3 months later, I am looking forward to my session of resistance 8, speed 65 for 50 minutes. And I started doing strength training and intervals. The moment you start noticing changes in the mirror, motivation is limitless! I LOVE endorphins! Sometimes I have to force myself to have a rest day, lol. Who knew?
  • GiddyNZ
    GiddyNZ Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You need to form a habit.. I started two days a week for a few weeks once I got used to that, then added another day each few weeks, it is easier to introduce a bit at a time.. going from nothing to all out in one giant leap is just asking for you to fail.. you will hurt and it will be hard to jump back in the next day, your body will need more recovery time to begin with.

Definitely important to do something you enjoy doing, and once your body gets used to doing it the motivation creates itself.. it gets easier so you WANT to push harder.. I get sad on days when I have to miss pump class.. Yes you will still have the odd off day, so turn up and go through the motions and that will keep the habit in tact.. you will still burn a few calories even if you aren't putting in your usual 100% effort.

One last thing.. perhaps find something to do where people will notice if you don't show up.. guilt works wonders :)

All the best :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    don't make exercise this big "thing" that you have to do/accomplish.

This. I put exercise in the same mental category as brushing my teeth and shaving my legs and balancing my checkbook and all those other things you don't really WANT to do, but have to. It's not a punishment or something to dread. It's just part of my life.
  • tcraw15
    tcraw15 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Well, starting is always the hardest part. But once you get going, it's hard to stop! At least, that's how it is for me.

I'm easily motivated, so seeing success stories and how others have been making progress on here, has been really inspiring. Not to mention, I spend my free time surfing amongst the internets trying to find more things to motivate and inspire me. I tend to focus on the end result, and I would like to be one of those people that people look at for inspiration. Just imagine yourself fit, full of energy, and strong. Imagine what you could achieve! I want to be stronger, and I am getting there. And boy is all the hard work WORTH IT!
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I find that doing something I ENJOY makes me WANT to exercise! I used to think exercising just meant going to the gym; lifting weights and running on the treadmill. False. I ride my bicycle, stand up paddleboard, walk, surf, kneeboard, ski, snowshoe, etc. I love doing all those things and look forward to doing them every single day. I used to DREAD going to the gym or even running in my neighborhood. Now I'm like, "Yes! Exercise!"
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Make it fun.
    After awhile I began to dread working out.
    My time on the treadmill and elliptical became mind-numbing.
    Now I take classes and love them.
    The instructor is motivating and helps us to get the most out of our work outs, use proper form etc.
    The music is fun and I've met a lot of new people.
  • WhitneyT586
    WhitneyT586 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I walk - and run - outside 3-4 days a week. Strength train on my off days. But I find that if I go outside and I promise myself 1 mile (or 2...) then I find that after that 1 mile I have to go back home too. So I get two miles anyway. I know that seems stupid and just common sense, but if I "trick" myself into that first bit of effort, I get more out of it. That, and I pay myself $1 for every workout and at $100 I get a treat - this treat is going to be a Fitbit Flex I think!
  • binkyb00
    binkyb00 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Think about what you're doing and why. My main reason is because I want to do it for myself, and no one else. And do the exercise that you love.
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I walk over to the mirror, that gets my *kitten* moving every time.

Seriously, find something you LOVE to do. For me it's weight training. I look forward to my training days.
    d
    ^ This. Finding something you love to do can help in so many ways. One thing that motivates me is that I love the feeling after I work out. I also feel lazy and unaccomplished if I don't work out. On my rest days I do some light stretching yoga so I don't overdo things.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I walk - and run - outside 3-4 days a week. Strength train on my off days. But I find that if I go outside and I promise myself 1 mile (or 2...) then I find that after that 1 mile I have to go back home too. So I get two miles anyway. I know that seems stupid and just common sense, but if I "trick" myself into that first bit of effort, I get more out of it.

I do that, too. Even if I'm having a crappy day, I promise to go at least one mile. I very, very rarely do less than three. :smile:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ummm get off your a#s and start doing it....

once it becomes a part of your daily routine then you will feel like crap if you do not work out...
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Having a small goal.

I started out walking 2 miles a day 3 years ago. Now I can walk between 5 and 6 miles in less than an hour and a half. I can run a couple of miles with out stopping and can hike 10 in less than 4 hours.

If you keep putting off the C25k, then just take a walk. You will start craving it, you really will.
  • Powerfocus
    Powerfocus Posts: 18
    Options
    Watching weight loss shows really get me motivated an that fact that I want to get to my goal in 3months. Some people say exercising is fun I don't know that is the case for me To me it is about self control and disciplining my body to do things that are healthy for it. Exercising does relieve stress an help me focus an think clearer also I like to listen to my favorite tapes and I am starting to enjoy the ME time not to mention how good I feel when I reach my exercise targets
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
    Options
    I've read every single reply from you all and I want to sincerely thank you for every sentence you wrote! For taking the time to articulate helpful suggestions for my benefit, I am incredibly grateful. You are WONDERFUL!

@BellaIron: Actually, one of the things that motivates me most is full-length mirrors, too. But, for some reason, it's got to be a fitting room in a clothing store. I get one glimpse and I'm like, HOOOOOLY POO...who be dat? Then I get all depressed. Then...determined! I think I need to go try on clothes more often!

@Blakerb29: That's basically where I'm at right now. I totally hear you.

@lcvrablik: I'm most intimidated by pressure. Signing up for something with a deadline will almost assuredly end in failure due to being overwhelmed by pressure and giving up. But this approach is GREAT for competitive people so I'm glad you mentioned it!

@suzeya: THANK YOU! This is where I always go wrong. I think: there is no WAY I'll have time to workout today! Thinking I've got to go home, change into work out clothes, stretch, work out, cool down, shower, change and do my hair and makeup all over again, etc. But it can be so much simpler than that. THANK YOU.

@cockney365: You made some EXCELLENT points and your post was so well organized and easy to read. I wanted to thank you sincerely for that effort. You're awesome and I took every word to heart.

@BillRicks1: I am downloading that mp3! That mantra can be applied to my entire life including exercising. Thank you so much for sharing it with me!

@cwolfman13: I want to ride my bike because I genuinely love it. It's just difficult to find a place to ride it in the area I live in. Tiny little blocks and tons of stop lights. The closest trail would require me to load my bike and drive there and back (which is something I am going to do but I only have time for it once/week). I want to run because I overheard someone at work say they placed 3rd in a running event when she runs a 7:30 mile. My best mile was 7:22 and I really wasn't even trying. It was a lonnnnng time ago but I think, with training, I could beat my time and potentially place at a run! I want to do Insanity because it gives me energy and I see it starting to tone my body almost immediately. Certainly within a week. I don't bank on this for weight loss but for aesthetics. I have definitely put a lot of thought into all those things you asked about. And I totally do the net calories thing. So, I hear ya! Thanks.

@pu_239: Can you tell me what you're referring to? I don't remember you at all and it doesn't sound like me to say something like that for no reason... But I agree with your last sentence to a point. One piece of motivation got me through those first ten months. I guess when that motivation changed, I stopped feeling it. So now I am hunting for a new one. But that may not exist!

@WhitneyT586: I loooove that idea. That is an ongoing, self-propelled form of motivation. I am going to start doing this! Thank you!!! I might even make it a competition with my boyfriend...I work out, you pay me. We both work out, no one owes. lol! Yay!

I really did read EVERY SINGLE reply and, again, thank you all SO MUCH. I think you're wonderful people and I feel like this thread has really set my mind right. I'm going to bed tonight and starting my day with renewed vigor and dedication to my goals.

THANK YOU!!!

:drinker: :flowerforyou: :heart: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :heart: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    I think your comment is spot on, pu. Thanks!!!
  • blakerb29
    blakerb29 Posts: 74
    Options
    Glad some of the responses helped, get to work and shed those pounds! :)

-Blake
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    I totally did! Got up, aired up my bike tires and rode around running errands all morning. I didn't realize how much I missed it! :)
  • meramirez2012
    meramirez2012 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats on your weight loss! WOW!

I was JUST LIKE YOU, except you seem to already like working out more than I did. I'm not athletic and I just couldn't find anything that I enjoyed doing. I finally tried yoga and pilates, both of which I had been avoiding because I didn't think I would get results from something so low key and I didn't want to waste my time. I was WRONG. I am addicted to both yoga and pilates, and I have to force myself to only do it 6 times a week. I feel amazing, have lost inches all over my body, and have never felt better mentally. It's not for everyone, but I finally found something for me. You will too. :)