is there any point in me buying a pedometer ?

Options
caz1507
caz1507 Posts: 29 Member
i am looking at this pedometer that costs £20 and it connects to the computer to record your process, but my question is it worth buying one , i mean does anyone find them usefull at all ?

Replies

• JessicaPasieka
    JessicaPasieka Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have one and it sits in my drawer untouched. I find it is really inaccurate. Mine detected every little movement from moving in my chair to readjusting my posture. I just didn't find it useful at all.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your goals. If you are walking for fitness, it can help you make sure you are getting enough activity.
    I walk as a part of my daily life and commute in the city, so don't count it as exercise. so I don't think it has many benefits for someone like me.
  • Izzyd1979
    Izzyd1979 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit and I love it. Tracks my steps and tells me how many "extra" calories I burnt. It links to MFP too, so you dont have to log twice. Definitively more motivating and easier to know what your true calorie needs/deficit is! It is $100 though, but I think very worth the extra cost!
  • rhogr000
    rhogr000 Posts: 126
    Options
    i am looking at this pedometer that costs £20 and it connects to the computer to record your process, but my question is it worth buying one , i mean does anyone find them usefull at all ?

Twenty pounds? Good Lord, that's like thirty dollars. For that price, unless the pedometer is going to give you a foot massage at the end of the day, I'd definitely skip it.

I have an app on my phone that I use that cost around $2 (£1.30), and I know there are lots of free apps as well. Plus, I'm pretty sure that you can find a reliable pedometer for > $10 (£7) if you look.

I think pedometers are great; the one I use tracks distance walked AND calories burned. It also includes a neat GPS feature.
  • caz1507
    Options
    tha sounds wonderfull but i am on a really tight budget , hence the £20 :(
  • caz1507
    Options

Twenty pounds? Good Lord, that's like thirty dollars. For that price, unless the pedometer is going to give you a foot massage at the end of the day, I'd definitely skip it.

I have an app on my phone that I use that cost around $2 (£1.30), and I know there are lots of free apps as well. Plus, I'm pretty sure that you can find a reliable pedometer for > $10 (£7) if you look.

I think pedometers are great; the one I use tracks distance walked AND calories burned. It also includes a neat GPS feature.
    is that app accurate ?
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    im not buying one..........
    i am getting one free through a free sample
    but i walk daily annd just count how long i do it for-
    on mfp u record it by minutes/hours.............
    ill try an d find the link for the free pedometer and post it here
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    nny Craig and Purina have teamed up to give away "Power of Two" packs, which include a free dog leash and pedometer. The only problem I see with this
    www.heyitsfree.net/2013/05/10/free-dog-leash-and-pedometer - Cached

Free Dog Leash and Pedometer » Free N Clear
    Snag a free Dog Leash and Pedometer from ProjectSlimDown.com. Walking with your pooch can help you on your way to weight loss. US only.
    www.freenclearstuff.com/free-dog-leash-and-pedometer - Cached
  • MaydayParadeGirl
    MaydayParadeGirl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I spent ten dollars on one because I walk everywhere and wanted to find out how far and what not I was actually walking in a day and I found that if I kept it hooked to my body at all times it would count every single movement I made as a step. Like I'd cough and it'd count it as a step or if I was going to take it off. Maybe because I bought the cheapest one but I'm not sure.

On the note of the fitbit it doesn't automatically sync up unless you have the correct operating system thing. My friend got it because she has an iphone but she doesn't have the right iphone to let it sync up automatically or whatever so just read. Plus if you're just using it for going for walks it's kind of a waste of money...
  • rhogr000
    rhogr000 Posts: 126
    Options

is that app accurate ?

It's the Nike+ app and, ya, it's pretty accurate.
  • username_misso
    username_misso Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt bother, ive had several that have been crap.

i figured out the distance i walk (driving the route, map my walk), worked out how ling it takes me, and then worked out an average pace. i went on a few different websites to look at the suggested calories, then averaged them and now work off that figure.