Dirt Broke Gourmet: Looking for seriously cheap recipes

moxiecowgirl
moxiecowgirl Posts: 291 Member
Due to some crazy financial crap, I'm Ramen noodle broke for the next 2 weeks. For obvious reasons, I don't want to subsist on that nutritional wasteland of pasty white flour noodles and God-knows-what that they use for seasoning. Does anyone have any good, nutritionally sound recipes that cost next to nothing?

Replies

• Koholint
    Koholint Posts: 104 Member
    No comment on the rest of the stuff littering the page, but this list may be helpful...

44 Healthy Foods Under $1

http://greatist.com/health/44-healthy-foods-under-1
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    rice and beans I know are pretty inexpensive especially if you buy dry beans and cook themselves
  • jessichri
    jessichri Posts: 81 Member
    I'm a huge fan of soups because you can make a huge pot for typically under 10 and have several meals worth. You can also freeze them most of the time so they stay good til you need them.

Cabbage/Veggie soup-- If you have a farmers market, you could get everything super cheap. Cheapest way is to buy a head of cabbage, carrots, celery, an onion and tomato juice. Chop veggies, throw in pan with juice and boil. Season and voila!

Potato leek soup-- Onion, Bag of potatoes, leek (or a bunch of green onions if your store doesnt sell leeks which mine doesnt usually) and chicken or vegetable stock. Saute onions, and leeks until soft, add water and stock, throw in chopped potatoes and boil down. When the potatoes are soft, throw in a blender to puree. Top with cheddar, sour cream, bacon bits, whatever.

Then theres pasta. Go to dollar general. In two dollars you have spaghetti and sauce (I'm a vegetarian so I don't have to buy hamburger so its cheaper! :P). Pasta is another buy one package, eat for days thing.

Hope that helps!
  • autumny70
    autumny70 Posts: 127 Member
    I second beans. A bag of dried is about a dollar. Also, eggs.
  • Yogurt, Beans, Eggs, Bell Peppers Stuffed With Ground Beef or Turkey, Spaghetti Sauce, Frozen Vegetables, Refried Beans, Tuna, Certain cuts of chicken are only $0.99 to $1.49 a pound. Pork chops are usually cheap. I tried not to list rice and other stuff that has too many carbs. I hope this helps.
  • kitty_kong
    kitty_kong Posts: 56
    chicken leg quarters are good and inexpensive.. Lotta bang for your buck
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Due to some crazy financial crap, I'm Ramen noodle broke for the next 2 weeks. For obvious reasons, I don't want to subsist on that nutritional wasteland of pasty white flour noodles and God-knows-what that they use for seasoning. Does anyone have any good, nutritionally sound recipes that cost next to nothing?

I'm not sure you've actually eaten ramen for you to disparage it like that, ramen is pretty awesome. Anyways

Get some dry beans, dried chilis, ground beef, crushed tomatoes and seasoning and make a chili
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Frozen veggies
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    I'm a huge fan of soups because you can make a huge pot for typically under 10 and have several meals worth. You can also freeze them most of the time so they stay good til you need them.

Cabbage/Veggie soup-- If you have a farmers market, you could get everything super cheap. Cheapest way is to buy a head of cabbage, carrots, celery, an onion and tomato juice. Chop veggies, throw in pan with juice and boil. Season and voila!

Potato leek soup-- Onion, Bag of potatoes, leek (or a bunch of green onions if your store doesnt sell leeks which mine doesnt usually) and chicken or vegetable stock. Saute onions, and leeks until soft, add water and stock, throw in chopped potatoes and boil down. When the potatoes are soft, throw in a blender to puree. Top with cheddar, sour cream, bacon bits, whatever.

Then theres pasta. Go to dollar general. In two dollars you have spaghetti and sauce (I'm a vegetarian so I don't have to buy hamburger so its cheaper! :P). Pasta is another buy one package, eat for days thing.

Hope that helps!

oooh! i want to try the potato leek soup!!!
  • KimINfortheWin
    KimINfortheWin Posts: 251 Member

http://www.poorgirleatswell.com/ - She makes $25/wk shopping trips! With recipes included. I have found all kinds of goodies on her website.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    rice and beans is my favorite cheap meal.

Buy cheap meat in bulk and freeze it. I get my chicken at costco or sometimes Sprouts for $2 a pound. Chicken and salsa crockpot recipe is my favorite. Throw in 5 chicken breasts, half a jar of salsa, cook for 5-6 hours, shred and enjoy. I eat it by itself or with rice.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,586 Member
    http://www.theskintfoodie.com/

A nice cooking blog by ex high flyer who became homeless and mentally ill and now lives on welfare but manages to still eat well for very little.
  • kitty_kong
    kitty_kong Posts: 56

I'm not sure you've actually eaten ramen for you to disparage it like that, ramen is pretty awesome. Anyways

Get some dry beans, dried chilis, ground beef, crushed tomatoes and seasoning and make a chili

Ramen is bad for you. It has no nutritional value and way too much sodium.
    The chili is a good idea. Fancy feast is having a sale. 10 cans for 10 dollars. I gotta get my owner to get me some
  • moxiecowgirl
    moxiecowgirl Posts: 291 Member

http://www.poorgirleatswell.com/ - She makes $25/wk shopping trips! With recipes included. I have found all kinds of goodies on her website.

Holy cow! She did one $25 trip at Trader Joe's! I think I found a new favorite blog. Thank you!
  • princesspea234
    princesspea234 Posts: 182 Member
    Buy bag of onions, extra lean ground beef in bulk, oatmeal,(can double for breakfast), low sodium/sugar ketchup, mixed frozen veggies, bag of red potatoes, frozen veggies of choice, whole chicken (cheaper than one cut up), lemons, garlic, eggs, tinned tomato sauce, tinned tomatoes, pasta

Meatloaf:

Mix 1 chopped onion, 2 minced garlic cloves, 1 pound extra lean ground beef, 2 eggs, 3/4 cup oatmeal in a casserole dish. Top with 1/2 cup ketchup. Cook at 350 for 1 hr and 15 mins.

Serves 6. Freezes well. Can serve with boiled red potatoes and frozen mixed veggies

Lemon Chicken:

Pour half a cup of lemon juice on inside and outside of chicken. salt and pepper inside and outside. Stuff with two pierced lemons.

Bake at 450 degrees, breast side down for 15 minutes

Flip chicken and reduce heat to 350 and bake until done... anywhere from 50 minutes to an hour and 15. Depends on the size of chicken.
    Serves 6. Can serve with potatoes and frozen veggies

Saute 1 pound ground beef, seasoned with salt and pepper, with 3 garlic cloves minced and one onion until brown over medium high heat. Drain fat off. Add tin of tomatoes, 1/4 tsp dried oregano and tin of tomato sauce. Bring to boil then reduce to simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, measure amount of pasta you'll be having with your sauce and boil until al dente. Add 3/4 cup sauce to pasta.

Sauce can be frozen well and serves 5. Just don't freeze with pasta! Fix fresh past for each serving.
  • princesspea234
    princesspea234 Posts: 182 Member
    Also pinto beans boiled with ham hock( really cheap) can be a great meal. I serve it with gluten free cornbread and green onions.
  • shadowkat57
    shadowkat57 Posts: 151 Member
    I second soups/stews. I go to a fruit/veg shop, buy whatever is in-season and cheap, and chuck it in the pot! Potato, sweet potato, pumpkin, cabbage, kale, spinach, onion, carrot, mushroom, leeks, spring onion etc etc etc...
    Plus chop and chuck in a cheap cut of meat of soup bone if you're so inclined.
    Plus chickpeas, lentils, beans etc to bulk out even more.
    Plus some nommy low-sodium stock and whatever herbs/spices float your boat.
    Healthy, cheap, makes a million servings, easy to freeze etc.
  • Black beans and rice with a fried egg. yummy--Cuban style!
  • evdenapoli
    evdenapoli Posts: 164 Member
    I have a lentil soup recipe if interested!
  • Onederchic
    Onederchic Posts: 128 Member

Thanks for the link! :drinker: