I've tried everything to lose weight...except..

Options
Came across this article and had to share, especially with everyone posting how "nothing works" from a blog
Link:

http://networkedblogs.com/LEkhw

I have a client who is on a weight loss journey. She realizes that it is just that – a journey. When I met with her this week, she said something I found profound – “I’ve tried everything to lose weight except time.” WOW! That is so true. How many times have you tried to lose weight, and it hasn’t worked. The more I work with people who are trying to lose weight, the more I find that they want it to happen NOW! Unfortunately, “now” isn’t an option.

Some people can get weight loss “now” but “now” isn’t realistic for most people. The “reality” shows like Biggest Loser make it even harder for people to gauge realistic weight loss. What you don’t see in the 60 to 90 minutes of the show is that the contestants (yes, they are contestants) are working out 6+ hours per day in addition to watching their food. I don’t know anyone who has a full time job who can work out 6 hours per day.

For those that weight loss isn’t a “now” option, patience has to be developed to be successful. For some people, it can take two to three weeks of consistent eating and exercise for the scale to start to move. For these people, if they try a “diet” for two weeks and give up they can say “it didn’t work!” instead of realizing that it takes time.

Abraham Lincoln said, “The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time.” If you have a weight loss goal in mind and a different body in your future, you can reach that goal by taking it one day at a time, one meal at a time, one workout at a time. Wow! There’s a lot of time in that last sentence.

As Mick Jagger said, “Time is on my side, yes it is.” Time is on your side, too, if you’re trying to change your body. Give yourself and your body some time – time to be successful.

Replies

• Collidoscopekid
    Collidoscopekid Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    This is so true. I can honestly admit that I am one of those people who want to see results on the scale immediately. I get discouraged if I don't see a loss each week. This is sound advice.

Also, I totally agree about the biggest loser thing. It is unrealistic to think most people who work full time can dedicate 6 or more hours a day to exercise.

Encouraging post!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does take time and that's why a permanent change is the only thing that works. Having a timeline and deadline for achieving weight loss goals is a FAIL. That's why WHAT I eat matters so much because I have to love it, not struggle with hunger and be able to maintain it forever. My weight loss was fast at first and now it is slow, but I keep my mind focused on my HEALTH, not the scale. And I have no deadline; I'm going to eat this way for the rest of my life (except that I will increase healthy carbohydrate foods, but never grains, once my metabolism has recovered).

The weight loss shows are doing more harm than good. The dietary advice is faulty and people are being pushed to over-exercise. Really, someone two hundred pounds over weight being pushed to jog? NO. Sooner or later, these "reality" shows are going to kill someone, if they haven't already. Weight loss is not a race.
  • SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I agree that it takes time to lose weight and you need patience, but, I do not believe the point of the Biggest Loser is to "show" people how to lose weight. What they do is take someone who feels like a failure inside, and make them believe they can do anything. When someone tells me that they don't watch the show because they "are not interested in losing weight"...I tell them the message applies to anything--if you put your heart into it, you can achieve it!

Those people can quit...and some of them do. Celebrities who lose weight may have trainers and cooks--but they still have to do the work. I've watched the biggest loser ever since I started my journey and every time I watch, it empowers me just to do the work.
    Good luck with your goals!
  • rdmomofthree
    rdmomofthree Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love that I came across this..I see the scale fluctuate. almost to the point that it doesn't appear I have lost any weight..although I have more cardio endurance and clothes are looser..I hope this encourages other people :)
  • luvriden
    luvriden Posts: 52
    Options
    I also watched the Biggest Loser every week while it is on. I usually recorded it and watched it the next day WHILE I did MY "Last chance workout". Granted mine is only an hour, not 6 hours, but I made sure I worked hard that whole hour. That show gives me inspiration to keep going. When I would watch that show and see after a week sometimes they would only loose 1 or 2 lbs. it made me realize that, even with a trainer for exercise, trainer for food, doctor for health, sometimes they would stall out or not loose much. Gave me the OK to not have a good week or not want to exercise (but did anyway). This is a lifestyle change not just weight loss or diet. It has to be everyday for the rest of my life.....yup....TIME :-)