Snacks With Protein

samtrenouth
samtrenouth Posts: 6
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
I have been eating 5-6 smaller meals a day. And some of those are small snacks, I have been eating dried fruit, seeds and yogurt coated dried fruit but I am looking for something with a little more protein. Any suggestions?

The snacks I seem to have contain a lot of carbs, how many grams would you recommend for a day, for someone who wants to lose weight?

Sam

Replies

• misspenny762
    misspenny762 Posts: 279 Member
    For protein, nuts, nut butters, and cold cuts are what I usually go for in terms of snacking. Hope this helps :]
  • frogmommy
    frogmommy Posts: 151 Member
    Greek yogurt with spices added to make a veggie dip!
  • nicrock
    nicrock Posts: 3
    Sam,

Dried fruits are one of those foods that you would think are healthy, but are actually junk in disguise as they are usually loaded with sugar.
    I would recommend apples with peanut butter, or drinking a smoothie blended with whey protein.

As for carbs, I would recommend eating whole-grains within proportion - perhaps a couple of slices of toast, a smaller bowl of pasta, etc. Personally, carbs are what makes me gain more weight around my middle, and controlling how much of them I consume has made it much easier to shed pounds for me.

-Nicole
  • Skinnytime
    Skinnytime Posts: 279
    GNC has some really great ostrich and beef sticks. Low in fat, low sodium, high in protein. Very tasty. They are called Ostrim.
  • Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    Greek yogurt with spices added to make a veggie dip!

Ooh, that sounds good-- what spices do you add to it? I love greek yogurt, but I'm used to only adding fruit to it.
  • Low sodium beef or turkey jerky...also, whey protein.
  • fullboost
    fullboost Posts: 53 Member
    Something as simple as beans on toast is good, excellent source of protein too!
    Two slices of bread, a whole tin of beans and a teaspoon of butter will tot up to not a lot more than 400 calories. Very filling, lots of protein and very little fat.
  • vaughny
    vaughny Posts: 145
    Cottage Cheese veggie dip
    Purchase a veggie dip packet, Ranch dressing packet or even a spinach dip packet. (ones that you would use oil or sour cream with instead we will substitute cottage cheese)
    Large container of low fat cottage cheese
    mix in a blender add a little water you can adjust water to thickness that you would like. Ranch can be used on salads as well.
  • creativefrugalmom
    creativefrugalmom Posts: 267 Member
    Nuts
    Celery with Peanut Butter
    Granny Smith apples with Peanut Butter
    Grilled Chicken or make a chicken salad and eat with wheat crackers
    Hard Boiled eggs
  • TMDRyan
    TMDRyan Posts: 8
    Cut your carbs to about 40% of what your protein intake is if you want to kick your body into a fat burning mode. That means you'll need a LOT of protein and your snacks should reflect this - so skip the apples and dried fruit (LOADED with carbs and very little protein). Nuts are ok, but be careful to limit the amount you eat to one handful a day. Go for string cheese, celery, sliced deli meats and hard boiled eggs. Watch out for jerky because they tend to be glazed in sugar and 100 calorie packs - don't get me started! Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.