What to do with hair after I work out at work - please help!

Options
My new office has a treadmill in the basement. Just a treadmill, not a fitness center or anything. It's convenient and the best way to make sure I get in my cardio, so I started running on it a few times a week. My issue is, what to do about my hair afterwards? There's no shower, so no ability to actually wash my hair until I get home (which is too far away to go to during the day). I keep a hairdryer at work which helps, but my hair still looks limp and dirty even after I blow it dry. Does anyone have any tips or tricks on what I can do to help my hair after a workout? My hair is thick and shoulder-length.

Replies

• rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    baby powder or dry shampoo helps! sprinkle the powder near your roots, rub in with fingers, brush through, pull your hair up and put in a sock bun/pony tail, secure with a headband :) I live in South Carolina and during the summer you need to do this even without actually working out just to keep from washing your hair twice a day!!
  • _JamieB_
    _JamieB_ Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I have long and curly hair, so probably of no help...but I'd say ponytail or braids!!
  • WannaDizzolve
    WannaDizzolve Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Spraying children's detangler and blowing dry after will help. But i'd rub a couple of baby wipes over mine and put it up. Shoulder length hair is long enough for a french twist. Just anchor the heck out of it with bobby pins. Or, once it dries, tie a scarf over it ala Grace Kelly.

Hope this helps.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Dry Shampoo
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    My new office has a treadmill in the basement. Just a treadmill, not a fitness center or anything. It's convenient and the best way to make sure I get in my cardio, so I started running on it a few times a week. My issue is, what to do about my hair afterwards? There's no shower, so no ability to actually wash my hair until I get home (which is too far away to go to during the day). I keep a hairdryer at work which helps, but my hair still looks limp and dirty even after I blow it dry. Does anyone have any tips or tricks on what I can do to help my hair after a workout? My hair is thick and shoulder-length.

1.) Hair dryer (to dry up the sweat...it's gross, but it is what it is)
    2.) Dry shampoo (it actually works really well-especially if it's only part of the day)
    3.) Braids. I braid my hair or do a messy bun...both of those hide a multitude of sins.
  • ellen_kay
    ellen_kay Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    baby powder or dry shampoo helps! sprinkle the powder near your roots, rub in with fingers, brush through, pull your hair up and put in a sock bun/pony tail, secure with a headband :) I live in South Carolina and during the summer you need to do this even without actually working out just to keep from washing your hair twice a day!!

This is exactly what I would suggest. Both the baby powder and dry shampoo will soak up the excess oil.
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    Options
    Spraying children's detangler and blowing dry after will help. But i'd rub a couple of baby wipes over mine and put it up. Shoulder length hair is long enough for a french twist. Just anchor the heck out of it with bobby pins. Or, once it dries, tie a scarf over it ala Grace Kelly.

Hope this helps.

A large clip should hold as well. When I head out for a walk during lunch on the warmer days, that is what I used to do...up in a clip or ponytail for the afternoon! :-)
  • weinbagel
    weinbagel Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    dry shampoo saved my life!
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I just always pull mine in a ponytail or use a hairdryer...
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Dry shampoo.

But I don't know how people can get all sweaty and then get back into their work clothes for the rest of the work day.
  • Lauran845
    Lauran845 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Pony tail holders are a girls best friend and bobby pins. I twist the front (bangs) back and secure them with a couple pins then turn the rest of it into a cute pony tail, bun or french twist. You could also get super fancy and try to do a half up with a barratte. Barrattes and claw clips are good desk drawer staples too. If you feel like your hair might be too greasy to live with for the rest of the day, try a couple spritz of hair spray, but too much might add to the greasy/shine look.
  • mytime1986
    mytime1986 Posts: 117
    Options
    Ohhh... try that dry shampoo I love that stuff. Bed head and aussie (I think) has it. Trust me it will do wonders.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I'd just use it at the end of the day before going home if that's an option.
    I'm a sweaty beast, though, and there's no rejoining society after a workout until I get a shower.
  • HJMAYES
    HJMAYES Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I used to run at lunch, and I got into the habit of only washing my hair a few times a week (I know, it sounds gross, but after you quit washing it every day, you quit producing as much oil, so therefore, less dirtiness) plus I don't sweat.
    I would throw it up in a ponytail and just go with it.
    Congrats on your workplace trying to help out - I wish more places of employment would recognize that obesity/morbid obesity is going to overtake tobacco as the leading cause of death and heart disease.
  • awetherell
    awetherell Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My hairdresser suggested spraying in dry shampoo and then blow drying it out and brushing. Apparently it's supposed to blow all the grease away... Good luck with the lunchtime workouts! x
  • kiekokay
    kiekokay Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    This has been said multiple times I see, but dry shampoo works wonders! I use Psssst brand and love it. I also use a hair "refresher" by treseme that smells nice. It doesn't do anything on its own in terms of addressing sweaty hair, but when used on top of the dry shampoo it really helps to freshen it up.

Kudos for working out during your lunch hour! :flowerforyou:
  • CarolElaine25
    CarolElaine25 Posts: 102
    Options
    Dry shampoo.

But I don't know how people can get all sweaty and then get back into their work clothes for the rest of the work day.
    I work out in our work's basement gym during lunch (the only time I really have during the week to workout), so I keep a small towel, baby wipes, deodorant and baby powder in my gym bag for use after I workout. It's not ideal, but I feel (and smell) much, much better than I would if I didn't. I also have underwear that I change into for my workouts.

I always pull my hair up in a ponytail when I work out, so it doesn't get really gross (I have long thick hair). But if it does, dry shampoo is the way to go. Tresemme dry shampoo is really good, plus they also make a refresher spray for use after dry shampoo.
  • RisOnTheRun
    RisOnTheRun Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    As others have said, I generally use dry shampoo (when I wear my hair straight, as you need to brush your hair afterwards) or just put my hair up in pony tail. I also use a product called "Dry Icing," which is basically hair gel that you use on dry hair. It's pretty good for adding body to limp hair.