PLEASE HELP! NOT LOSING WEIGHT

Options
Please looking for advice here.. I am eating about 1300 cal day , have not lost one pound in 3 weeks. :( my food diary is open.

Replies

• 130Sam130
    130Sam130 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You could try upping your calories for a week or two, then go back to 1300 calories? Another idea is to exercise more than you are.
  • nikkiw29
    nikkiw29 Posts: 25
    Options
    Everyone hits a wall sometimes, try not to get discouraged!! I would be mindful of any processed white refined sugars and carbs. Even though you have been keeping a close eye on your calorie intake you really need to focus on sugars and carbs intake as well. Both of these break down in your system and turn into fat. I wouldn't limit your intake dramatically but I would just try to focus on 100% whole wheat breads and raw sugars and really try to stay withing your recommended daily goal. I hope this helps! Good luck!
  • purple4sure05
    purple4sure05 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Everyone hits a wall sometimes, try not to get discouraged!! I would be mindful of any processed white refined sugars and carbs. Even though you have been keeping a close eye on your calorie intake you really need to focus on sugars and carbs intake as well. Both of these break down in your system and turn into fat. I wouldn't limit your intake dramatically but I would just try to focus on 100% whole wheat breads and raw sugars and really try to stay withing your recommended daily goal. I hope this helps! Good luck!

This is good advice in general, but a calorie is a calorie no matter what you get it from. I suggest that you make sure you log every single thing as accurately as possible. Also, your height and activity level could be important factors as to why you aren't losing weight on 1300.
  • TX_Aggie_Dad
    TX_Aggie_Dad Posts: 173
    Options
    Please looking for advice here.. I am eating about 1300 cal day , have not lost one pound in 3 weeks. :( my food diary is open.

When did you start eating healthy? Is this a plateau or are you only 3 weeks into your plan?

Are you taking measurements and body fat %? Without that you're only guessing in regards to what is happening. You could be retaining water due to starting a new intense exercise routine. You could be eating too much because you are underestimating your portion sizes. Suggest staying the course a little longer but focus on portion sizes if you haven't been using a food scale and measuring.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I spike and dip constantly. Three weeks isn't that long of a time. Wait for a few more weeks and see what happens.

Also take measurements - scale weight is not the most accurate basis of fitness. It measures EVERYTHING.

If you still haven't moved in a few more weeks, I'd suggest weighing everything to make sure you are portioning correctly.
  • gridsanders
    gridsanders Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is watch you salt and sugar intake. Even though you go over sometimes look at the overage for the week. It might be too high. Which means you need to burn more. Don't up calories just yet. Stay the course and do circuit training to boost heart rate. :smile:
  • niteal2
    niteal2 Posts: 14
    Options
    Thank you all so much for taking the time to give me some advice here.. I am weighting my food, but I agreed I need to cut on sugar and salt, just not easy since I’m almost never home for the main meals. I will try harder w my exercise and make better choices with my food intake.
  • MensEtSalvere2013
    MensEtSalvere2013 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for taking the time to give me some advice here.. I am weighting my food, but I agreed I need to cut on sugar and salt, just not easy since I’m almost never home for the main meals. I will try harder w my exercise and make better choices with my food intake.
    I would alos try and up your protein. It is essential to loosing weight :). Also how many glasses of water do you drink a day? Water helps too. Good luck! :)
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary for yesterday, you list 3 oz. of boneless beef short ribs as only 131 calories. That's probably seriously underestimated; the USDA database for cooked beef ribs (boneless, lean only) is 295 calories for 100g (3.4 oz). (Source: http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/3737). Or is 3 oz. the uncooked weight? Even so, it seems a little low. Are there any condiments you're not including--mayo or mustard with the tuna, for example? Those little things can add up. Calorie counting only works if you're brutally honest with yourself.

If you are being brutally honest, then you're probably in a plateau due to more water and solid retention, adaptation to endurance exercise, etc. I went through a plateau for nearly 2 weeks at the end of March and in early April, but I was still below my exponentially smoothed weighted average (the thin purple line in my weight chart: https://www.beeminder.com/brianogilvie/goals/weigh).
  • niteal2
    niteal2 Posts: 14
    Options
    Thank you so much! :) You are absolutely right , just noticed today i logged 4 strawberrys and its giving me below 20 cal?? Im sure this is not correct. I will sure pay more attention from now on..
  • purple4sure05
    purple4sure05 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! :) You are absolutely right , just noticed today i logged 4 strawberrys and its giving me below 20 cal?? Im sure this is not correct. I will sure pay more attention from now on..

That's probably about right. Strawberries are very low in calories. You could probably eat as many strawberries as you want.
  • dancerbyday
    dancerbyday Posts: 61
    Options
    One thing that might help is doing cardio, or upping your cardio. Also, eating fewer calories than the site prescribes. I know that I, personally, would gain weight on their calorie prescription had I not just started running. Another important thing: it's not so much the QUANTITY of what you eat, but the QUALITY. If you consume 1300 calories of bad food a day, your body can't use that, so it will be stored as fat. However, if you are eating 1300 calories of good, nutritious food, then your body will absorb the nutrients, burn the calories, and stop storing up your meals for the scale! Make sure you eat lots of fruits and vegetables, some of which are actually "negative calorie" foods, meaning they digesting them actually takes more calories than you get in eating them!
  • cpayne56
    cpayne56 Posts: 12
    Options
    The other thing to note is that if you are exercising you can appear to be on a weight plateau but actually your body will be changing. Developing muscle adds weight but tightens you up, so you can weigh the same but still be losing inches.
    The scale isn't everything and not the only measure you should use.
    Keep with it, weigh everything you eat and ensure you drink enough water. It will start to come off again.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Not sure your logging is accurate. I see several days with meals being logged as "Homemade - X,Y,Z." Those tend to be really bad under-guesstimates. I mean you've got 2 enchiladas for just a couple hundred calories, something made with a bunch of ground beef with just a few grams of fat. It just doesn't sound right. When I cook something homemade I just add all the parts in myself rather than rely on some random Internet person's entry of a homemade meal. Plus, how do you measure serving sizes on that? Make sure you are measuring and weighing your food and that your serving sizes are accurate. :flowerforyou:
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    When I cook something homemade I just add all the parts in myself rather than rely on some random Internet person's entry of a homemade meal.

Jenilla1's advice is great. I do a lot of home cooking, and I always start by entering the recipe in MFP, using USDA data or product labels, instead of trusting someone else to have been accurate. It adds 5 minutes for each recipe, but then I know with reasonable accuracy how many calories are in what I cook. I also take the opportunity to cut back on fats when possible: the Rick Bayless salad dressing I made last week called for 3/4 cups of olive oil - for four servings! I cut it back to 1/4 cup and added some water (about 1/4 cup), and it was perfectly fine.