Need some clarification

Options
Hi, I am a new member to MFP in the last few months and so far I'm loving it! I have a few questions though.... I am new to working out and counting calories (had a baby boy a few months ago) so I'm a little confused on how many calories I should be eating a day. For example.... for my height, age, sex etc. it says I should have 1200 calories daily (before I work out) then say I burn 600 calories that day it says I have earned an "extra" 600 calories and therefore my calorie intake goes to 1800. I am having a really hard time eating that many calories in a healthy way and feel like I"m eating just to meet my goal for the day of 1800. Do I have to eat all 1800 calories? And I am correct in the numbers of calories I should be having? Someone please help I am working out 5 days a week and seeing results, but might get better results if I knew exactly how many calories I should eat a day. Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    1) yes, you need to eat 1800 calories a day if you burn 600, as 1200 net is the minimum you should be consuming.

2) if you find it difficult to eat back your exercise calories, exercise less. Seriously. you need fuel and if you aren't getting sufficient fuel, you will burn out.

3) If you eat 80% of your calories healthy, it is perfectly okay to get in the last 300 calories by having ice cream or wine or pop tarts or whatever you want. It will not hinder your progress, and it will keep you sane.

Good luck!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    1) yes, you need to eat 1800 calories a day if you burn 600, as 1200 net is the minimum you should be consuming.

2) if you find it difficult to eat back your exercise calories, exercise less. Seriously. you need fuel and if you aren't getting sufficient fuel, you will burn out.

3) If you eat 80% of your calories healthy, it is perfectly okay to get in the last 300 calories by having ice cream or wine or pop tarts or whatever you want. It will not hinder your progress, and it will keep you sane.

Good luck!

I second all of this.
  • nikkiw29
    nikkiw29 Posts: 25
    Options
    I agree with everything that has been said so far. The main reason you "earn" calories is because you "burn" them. You need to eat more to maintain your daily goal because every work out you do depletes nutrients from your body. Eventually the low amount of calories you take in with being to take affect and become far more harmful to your well being than helpful.

Perhaps you should incorporate some post work out shakes to help you maintain your daily goal! This one is my favorite

1-2 Frozen Bananas
    1 heaped tablespoon of nut butter (choice of almond, organic peanut or cashew nut)
    1 ½ Cup Almond Milk (or your choice of milk)
    Optional additions (organic whey protein concentrate powder, raw cacao, raw egg, cinnamon, flax, chia etc.)

Blend it all together and be sure to have it within 30mins after your workout to ensure your body begins to repair what was lost during your workout!

I hope this helps! Good luck and take care!
  • stacetherainbow
    Options

Good luck!
    ^ great advice!
  • PaulVanda
    PaulVanda Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi Babyholt. From what you say, it sounds like you have things worked out correctly. My personal view (and not wanting to get into an argument with others) is just don't feel obliged to eat the extra calories if you don't want them. I am sticking to 1250 a day plus what I earn from exercise. I run every day and very rarely use my total allowance. Check out my diary and you will see what I mean. I believe in listening to your body. If you feel OK then you probably are OK on what you are eating. I have found that over the past few weeks the amount I want to eat has decreased. I am just losing the pounds a bit quicker than the prediction. I am still running at the same intensity, am not getting ill and feel pretty good, so I can only say the it works for me. Of course, you don't want to go too low and everyone has different metabolisms and different needs.