How to work out while at work

Options
When you work an eight-hour workday, there's not much time (or energy) left at the end of the day for a workout. Packing up and making a trip to the gym is sometimes just not an option. But what if the office was your gym? You may not be able to hop on the treadmill while you're on a conference call, but there are plenty of other ways to sneak in a workout at the office.

Take the stairs
You may be used to just grabbing your coffee and heading straight for the elevator in the morning, but you may want to think about taking the stairs instead. A little cardio can even boost the immune system. It may not seem like much, but that little bit of exercise everyday can really add up. Every stair is a quarter-calorie burn. If you come into work a little earlier than usual, go up and down the stairs a few times to burn even more calories and get those leg muscles toned. You could even do squats right on the stairs. Stand sideways on a stair and do half-legged squats on each leg – you'd be surprised how difficult they are!

Squeeze at your seat
Sitting in a chair for eight hours can be rough on the body. Keep yourself moving right at your desk by squeezing your buttocks for five to 10 seconds, then release. You could also try squeezing a pen and focusing on your forearm muscles. You'll be burning calories while just sitting there doing your work – and you won't even have to get out of your chair.

Leg lifts
While sitting at your desk, straighten either one or both legs and hold them off the ground for five or more seconds. Then lower them back toward the ground without letting the feet touch the floor. If you want even more of a challenge, try putting a book or a briefcase on top of your feet for added weight.

Swivel chair
To work your core, hold onto your desk and lift your feet off the ground. Use your abs to swivel the chair from side to side for about 15 reps – you'll be on your way to a more toned core.

Replies

• tamarwe
    tamarwe Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    awesome, thanks...she says while squeezing her butt.
  • jnzema
    jnzema Posts: 24
    Options
    Not at work, but with a similiar theme, holding a horse stance while doing dishes is a killer workout for your butt and thighs.
  • rjabbe1143
    rjabbe1143 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hadn't thought about the swivel-chair thing. Got a few hours of project time coming up, guess I'll be trying that out!
  • Jackie_XOXOXO
    Jackie_XOXOXO Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    im swiveling!!! Thanks
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I also do planks, push ups, squats,and jumping jacks in my office as well. Sometimes you just have to move!
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I do push ups and squats in my office, I also make a habit of running up the stairs.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I walk the parking lot at lunch.

And lift boxes in the warehouse instead of asking the techs to do it :)

And while cleaning up around the office (filing/cleaning up my desk) I tend to dance to music in my head. Every little bit helps.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I just sleep with my secretary.
  • cmpollard01
    cmpollard01 Posts: 246
    Options
    Wow! Some of those I knew, but can I just say how hard it is to try and type while swiveling? :bigsmile:
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I just sleep with my secretary.

Dream on.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Use an exercise ball instead of a chair. Or hover over your chair in a squat...that gets the quads burning after awhile and you can still type from that position.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I've got a door, so I do my You Are Your Own Gym workout in the office. If I've got a busy day, I might split it up and do half in the morning and half in the afternoon. I do alternate excercises for anything that involves me hanging off the door. Don't know how I would explain pulling the door off the hinges to the building manager's office.
  • prettigirl01
    prettigirl01 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    omg i so needed this. wish i would have known this 8 years ago lol