How do I figure calorie content of deli foods?

Options
I'm sure not the healthiest but I was out today after a doctor's appointment, it was lunchtime, and I was starving! Rather than pop in to Wendy's for a burger and fry I went to the grocery store and got 8 oz of Greek pasta salad. I also bought some chicken salad for pita sandwiches this week. (portion control... right? ;)) Anyways, how do I log my calories when I have no idea? For today I found a similar recipe online and just used those nutrition facts but I won't always have time to do that. Do you just not eat anything you can't log??? Thanks!!!

Replies

• utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    If I can I go to the counter and ask to see their nutritional info and jot it down in a little notebook and then add it myself to the database.
  • DawnElisabeth
    Options
    Thanks! Maybe I can even call and get it since I won't be back there anytime soon yet remember in the future! :smile: :smile:
  • utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Yeah I always go to the deli counter and ask for the nutritional info. You can also do that at the bakery!
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    i swear to god i have called publix (my grocery store) at least 5 times to confirm the nutritional value of the sweet deli ham i eat for breakfast every morning....
    i finally have accepted that 1 slice (cut on the slicer #1 spot) is 1 oz and that is 35 calories...
    i have done the same thing for the turkey i buy from them too....the packages they cut from and/or portion out the cups with have the nutritional info on them...they just have to look and then tell you.....
    but, they can't if you dont ask......
    good luck....
  • bbraun
    bbraun Posts: 6
    Options
    If you know the brand of the deli items you purchased, you can go to thier websites and look the information up. Most of the bigger food companys have their nutirition information on thier websites. Not sure how well that works for storebrands - I'll have to try it some time.
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    You could check out the grocery store's website too (if its a larger chain anyway). Most stores will have nutritional info posted about the stuff they make in house.