eating burnt calories

Options
Quick question. I have been doing a lot exercise, if I eat my burnt calories to make my net calories 1200 will I still lose weight?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • carolemorden9
    carolemorden9 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I do.
  • Mguilmot
    Mguilmot Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Never did.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    You are supposed to. The 1200 calories that MFP tells you to eat are NET calories (calories eaten - calories burned). Depending on your activity level beyond exercise, 1200 may not be enough calories. Check out www.fitnessfrog.com to calculate your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). It's recommended you eat your TDEE less 20% to lose weight.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm,....crispy!

Yes, you will.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yes - I did to lose my weight! That's the way the site is designed.

Now expect a load of replies from people who don't, mainly because they either have a fearful attitude to food, don't understand how this site works or "don't see the point of exercise if you then eat the calories back".....
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Net Calories = Food - Exercise

If you didn't exercise, you would still lose weight as long as Net Calories is less than Goal Calories and Daily Calorie Deficit combined. Goal Calories includes your Daily Calorie Deficit (goal calories = calories from normal daily activity - daily deficit), so as long as Net Calories is approximately equal to Goal Calories you will lose approximately your weekly weight loss goal (not guaranteed, too many variables that can effect the scales and weight loss).

Edited to remove bad info.
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Yes Yes Yes Yes!
  • kanadian_bear
    Options
    Yum .. I have a great recipe for burnt calories :)
  • ElizaJay143
    ElizaJay143 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Likely, Yes. But, it depends... where did you come up with the goal of 1,200?

Below is an EXAMPLE of how you might calculate a calorie target, using the Harris Benedict Equation:

According to that equation you start with your Base Metabolic Rate (BMR) which is calculated as follows:

Women: BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )
    Men: BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) - ( 6.8 x age in year )

Then you determine your activity level:
    Sedentary = little or no exercise
    Lightly Active = light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week
    Moderatetely Active = moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week
    Very Active = hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week
    Extra Active = very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training

To calculate your daily calorie goal you use the following:
    Sedentary = BMR x 1.2
    Lightly active = BMR x 1.375
    Moderatetely active = BMR x 1.55
    Very active = BMR x 1.725
    Extra active = BMR x 1.9

So, again, as an example. I am a 155lb, 5'3", 24 y/o female. My BMR is 1,513 calories per day. I have a desk job, and exercise 3 times per week, most weeks...

So, to calculate my caloric need I have 2 options:
    Sedentary = 1513 x 1.2 = 1,816
    Lightly active = 1513 x 1.375 = 2,080

You then calculate the rate at which you want to lose. On average, a deficit of 500 calories per day is going to equal 1 lb of weight loss per week.Which would put my calorie targets at:

Sedentary = 1513 x 1.2 = 1,816 - 500 = 1,316
    Lightly active = 1513 x 1.375 = 2,080 - 500 = 1,580

Depending on my choice, I will determine if I eat back my calories or not. I am "lightly active" but not ALL the time... So, for me, I would choose the Sedentary total of ~1,300 calories per day, and when I exercise I will eat them back, for a NET of ~1,300 per day.

BUT, if I ever got to the point where I KNOW I'm going to exercise those 3x per week, I'd probably switch to the Lightly Active choice, and NOT eat back my calories, because that burn is factored into my daily goal.

Hope that helps to clarify things.

A side not however is that this math isn't perfect, and the human body is a VERY complex machine. So, if you find yourself sticking to one routine for a solid month and it's just not working, try tweaking things a bit. For example, I know that if I net 1,300 calories per day, I really struggle to lose weight, but if I keep my target between 1400-1500, the lbs melt off ( I lost 25 lbs relatively easily before I joined this site that way). Mathematically, I should still lose at 1,300, and eventually I likely would, but it's more than just about being thinner, it's about being healthy and happy along the way.
  • merv243
    merv243 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Careful when logging exercises in MFP and using it to calculate calorie needs.

When you use a calorie calculator and want to factor in workout calories separately, then you need to select an activity level that does NOT include workouts. For example, I work out five times a week, but outside of that, I am lightly active at best (I walk a lot at work, take the stairs, but that's it). As a result, I selected lightly active.

If I were to select very active, which is actually true, then every workout I log in MFP is getting counted twice - once when calculating my TDEE, and again when adding in the calories burned in that workout.

Ideally, your calculated TDEE is accurate on rest days, and then you add on calories to that if necessary.

So, to answer your question directly, if you did not factor in your workouts with your activity level, then yes, you should eat those calories back so your net calories remains the same every day. If you selected a higher activity level, then you will be overeating for your goal.
  • Cam_
    Cam_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    You will get a lot of different opinions on this one! This gets asked a lot. I say, if you are hungry, eat the extra calories that you *earn*. If not, don't worry about it. After a while, you will figure what's right for you. I guarantee it. All the best.
  • LibertyBelle89
    Options
    Likely, Yes. But, it depends... where did you come up with the goal of 1,200?

Below is an EXAMPLE of how you might calculate a calorie target, using the Harris Benedict Equation:

According to that equation you start with your Base Metabolic Rate (BMR) which is calculated as follows:

Women: BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )
    Men: BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) - ( 6.8 x age in year )

Then you determine your activity level:
    Sedentary = little or no exercise
    Lightly Active = light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week
    Moderatetely Active = moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week
    Very Active = hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week
    Extra Active = very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training

To calculate your daily calorie goal you use the following:
    Sedentary = BMR x 1.2
    Lightly active = BMR x 1.375
    Moderatetely active = BMR x 1.55
    Very active = BMR x 1.725
    Extra active = BMR x 1.9

So, again, as an example. I am a 155lb, 5'3", 24 y/o female. My BMR is 1,513 calories per day. I have a desk job, and exercise 3 times per week, most weeks...

So, to calculate my caloric need I have 2 options:
    Sedentary = 1513 x 1.2 = 1,816
    Lightly active = 1513 x 1.375 = 2,080

You then calculate the rate at which you want to lose. On average, a deficit of 500 calories per day is going to equal 1 lb of weight loss per week.Which would put my calorie targets at:

Sedentary = 1513 x 1.2 = 1,816 - 500 = 1,316
    Lightly active = 1513 x 1.375 = 2,080 - 500 = 1,580

Depending on my choice, I will determine if I eat back my calories or not. I am "lightly active" but not ALL the time... So, for me, I would choose the Sedentary total of ~1,300 calories per day, and when I exercise I will eat them back, for a NET of ~1,300 per day.

BUT, if I ever got to the point where I KNOW I'm going to exercise those 3x per week, I'd probably switch to the Lightly Active choice, and NOT eat back my calories, because that burn is factored into my daily goal.

Hope that helps to clarify things.

A side not however is that this math isn't perfect, and the human body is a VERY complex machine. So, if you find yourself sticking to one routine for a solid month and it's just not working, try tweaking things a bit. For example, I know that if I net 1,300 calories per day, I really struggle to lose weight, but if I keep my target between 1400-1500, the lbs melt off ( I lost 25 lbs relatively easily before I joined this site that way). Mathematically, I should still lose at 1,300, and eventually I likely would, but it's more than just about being thinner, it's about being healthy and happy along the way.

^^this explains it perfectly...thanks
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Possibly. It depends on how accurately you estimate your calories expended and your calories taken in. Net calorie game seems to be risky to me. When I increase my activity through exercise consistently, I increase my activity level to give myself a larger "pool" of calories for the day and never eat back my exercise calories. Down 108 lbs, and working out about 10 hours per week.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Yes, *if* your estimate for how many calories you burn when exercising is reasonably accurate, and your calorie counting is accurate. Many heart rate monitors and other devices seriously overestimate how many calories are consumed in exercise. (One study showed that a Polar monitor overestimated college women's calorie expenditure by over 25%: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21178923.)
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Of course. 1200 is eating at a pretty serious deficit unless you're Barbie Doll size and never move.