Pesto Chicken with Tomatoes & Mozzarella

aawh
aawh Posts: 96 Member
edited September 21 in Recipes
I just had to post this recipe because I thought it was so good! I made it yesterday and just had leftovers tonight for dinner. It is very flavorful and moist! I modified a recipe from www.food.com to work with what I had on hand and also reduce calories.

6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (mine were about 5oz each)
salt and pepper
4 tablespoons jared basil pesto sauce
4 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
4-6 small (cherry) tomatoes, sliced
3 slices mozzarella cheese

Place chicken breasts in a casserole dish and season both sides with salt and pepper. Spread 1 tablespoon pesto sauce and 2 teaspoons of the minced garlic onto the chicken. Flip them over and spread on the remaining 3 tablespoons of pesto sauce and 2 teaspoons of garlic. Sprinkle Italian seasoning on top. Bake at 400 degrees for 25-35 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the center. Remove from oven and place the tomato slices on the chicken. Top each chicken breast with 1/2 a slice of the mozzarella cheese. Return to oven and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes until the cheese has melted.

This is the nutrition info based on the kind of pesto I used and the size of my chicken.

Serves 6, each serving:
Cal: 239
Fat: 12
Sat Fat: 3
Trn Fat: 0
Chol: 87
Sod: 323
Carbs: 4
Fiber: 1
Sugar: 1
Protein: 32

Here is the link to the original recipe, that uses less chicken and more pesto, the refrigerated kind. There are quite a few pictures and reviews too. Don't believe the nutrition info you see there though - no way that could be right. I think they left something out of that calculation!

http://www.food.com/recipe/baked-pesto-chicken-23425

Replies

• MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    that sounds good. Anyone know how to make pesto sauce if you don't have any? Not that I probably have the ingredients on hand either... but I have TONS of tomatoes :)
  • Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Thanks for posting! I can't wait to make this. I love pesto!
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    bump
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    I copied this down. It sounds very easy and it sounds delicious!!! Thanks!!

I loveeee pesto tomatoes and Mozzarella
  • sunlover67
    sunlover67 Posts: 158 Member
    bump:flowerforyou:
  • shannahrose
    shannahrose Posts: 585 Member
    sounds easy & delicious! thanks!
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Yummy. Bumping
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    that sounds good. Anyone know how to make pesto sauce if you don't have any? Not that I probably have the ingredients on hand either... but I have TONS of tomatoes :)

Fresh basil
    Pine nuts
    Garlic
    Parmesan cheese
    Salt
    Pepper
    Olive Oil
    Blend it all together in a food processor.
  • shellshalla
    shellshalla Posts: 263 Member
    that sounds great!
  • Hi everyone! I am new to this site- I just joined an hour ago! lol...okay so I have a question. I thought this chicken sounded fantastic but my mom doesn't like pesto. If there an alternative?
  • aawh
    aawh Posts: 96 Member
    I know in the grocery store where the jared pestos are, there are many different flavors besides just basil, like roasted pepper & sun-dried tomato.

You could also use some type of pasta or marinara sauce or a can of campbells soup (like cream of mushroom) - whatever will coat the chicken and keep it moist.
  • jbuffan218
    jbuffan218 Posts: 275 Member
    :love: pesto
  • Andreamofme
    Andreamofme Posts: 11 Member
    Yumm
  • slimline1
    slimline1 Posts: 44 Member
    Thanks, sounds delish, have added it to my recipe page.
    Carol
This discussion has been closed.