Adverse reaction to chia seeds

Options
Has anyone else experienced an adverse reaction to chia seeds? I had some mixed in a smoothie a few hours ago and am feeling light headed, nauseated and shaky. My vision also seems to be affected.

Replies

• mrscompgeek
    mrscompgeek Posts: 18
    Options
    Did you work out before the smoothie? Sounds like not enough water in your system.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else experienced an adverse reaction to chia seeds? I had some mixed in a smoothie a few hours ago and am feeling light headed, nauseated and shaky. My vision also seems to be affected.

I had no reaction, but if I had the reaction you describe I certainly wouldn't eat them again without being checked for allergy first.
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Sounds like low blood sugar or dehydration was there protein in your smoothie?
  • Shauna776
    Shauna776 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Nope, I've just recently added them to my diet and haven't experienced anything like that. It does, however, sound a lot like dehydration. I feel like that and even throw up if I haven't had enough water (and food) and then work out really hard (get really hot). Just a suggestion and my 2 cents :)
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Chia is the seed of the devil - google the stuff, lots of people having very bad reactions to this, me included. Stick to flax !
  • fuschiagirl99
    fuschiagirl99 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I wasn't dehydrated. I drank the smoothie this morning before strength training. I had also had a few cups
    of coffee. I eventually had some cereal with almond milk and then felt better.