Rediculous Co-worker Problems

Options
ARRRGHH!!

let me just say. I know we all have 'that co-worker' who drives us insane, but please humor me by giving me some sort of advice on this situation.

i make ads that go in the paper. There are 3 sales reps here that selll the ads and play laison between us (the designers) and the businesses themselves.

One of the sales reps is married to the boss, despite the very clear rule (that is documented in the rule book of our paper that everyone reads upon hiring) that Married Co-workers is not allowed.

thats where all the rules fly out the window. She has no regard for anyone here, is very conceited, and the thing that is bothering me most today (and is somethign that has bothered all of us in the design department since she started here two years ago) is that she has NO regard for deadline. She could care less about deadlines, and every day we have to stop the presses because of her not doing her job and needing to change something at the last minute to make the customer happy. THis wouldnt be a problem is she payed attention to deadline.

The worst side effect of this, is that she comes in late every day, and throws all of the work at us at the last minute. She wants us to turn out a days worth of work in a matter of hours... The presses deadlines DONT change despite what happens in the office, so we have to make up the hours we lost doing nothing in the morning waiting for her to come in, so that WE can meet the presses deadline, meaning we all have to stay til 7 getting her stuff done so that the paper can print, (when we are supposed to be out of here at five)

This limits all of our out of work activities because we have to stay so late. ( I MISSED PILATES YESTERDAY AND IM PISSED)

Complaining does nothing, because remember, her husband is the boss? It is a sucky situation, that only gets worse if we 'tell on her'

so anyway. GRRRRRR!!!! we are all at a loss as to how to fix this problem, so thats why im on here complainting to you guys, since i cant complain to the higher ups!

Replies

• iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    ARRRGHH!!

let me just say. I know we all have 'that co-worker' who drives us insane, but please humor me by giving me some sort of advice on this situation.

i make ads that go in the paper. There are 3 sales reps here that selll the ads and play laison between us (the designers) and the businesses themselves.

One of the sales reps is married to the boss, despite the very clear rule (that is documented in the rule book of our paper that everyone reads upon hiring) that Married Co-workers is not allowed.

thats where all the rules fly out the window. She has no regard for anyone here, is very conceited, and the thing that is bothering me most today (and is somethign that has bothered all of us in the design department since she started here two years ago) is that she has NO regard for deadline. She could care less about deadlines, and every day we have to stop the presses because of her not doing her job and needing to change something at the last minute to make the customer happy. THis wouldnt be a problem is she payed attention to deadline.

The worst side effect of this, is that she comes in late every day, and throws all of the work at us at the last minute. She wants us to turn out a days worth of work in a matter of hours... The presses deadlines DONT change despite what happens in the office, so we have to make up the hours we lost doing nothing in the morning waiting for her to come in, so that WE can meet the presses deadline, meaning we all have to stay til 7 getting her stuff done so that the paper can print, (when we are supposed to be out of here at five)

This limits all of our out of work activities because we have to stay so late. ( I MISSED PILATES YESTERDAY AND IM PISSED)

Complaining does nothing, because remember, her husband is the boss? It is a sucky situation, that only gets worse if we 'tell on her'

so anyway. GRRRRRR!!!! we are all at a loss as to how to fix this problem, so thats why im on here complainting to you guys, since i cant complain to the higher ups!
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Ugh...sounds awful :ohwell: I have no advice for you..I mean if the boss is her husband than there is nothing u can do :sad: Sorry...but at least u know we're here to talk to :bigsmile: lol *hugs* Hang in there Em!

:heart:
  • BlazinEmerald
    Options
    Is the boss the owner ? If not I would think about going over his head. If things are not being done properly and it is effecting all staff I think the owner should step in. The more hours you pull the more they have to pay it SHOULD be a concern for them. If the boss is the owner I have no clue what to tell you. You'd think HE would be concerned about the bottom line :flowerforyou: Best wishes figuring this issue out
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    There isn't anyone above him to go to?
    And how in the world have the "gotten around" a clearly stated rule?
    That does seem extremely frustrating. You have some amazing strength. I would have been fired for telling her where to stick it!
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    who is your boss's boss? like the owner of the paper? Perhaps you could tell them that this is bothering you, but you didn't feel comfortable talking to your boss b/c they're married. Or... maybe you could discuss it with one of the reps for the companies advertising and they could discuss the issue with your boss.

Normally, I would suggest discussing the problem with your boss, but I understand this is sticky and might need a 3rd party involvement. Does your work have a HR department or person to speak with.

All I can picture is on The Office when Michael and Jan were involved and all rules flew out the window... :laugh: sorry to make light of the situation...

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone in a corporate office that may be higher up that you can talk to?

Is there a HR rep that can act as a liaison?? :flowerforyou:
  • greysweatshirt
    Options
    Ugh, I had a boss like this at one of my office jobs. She never worked the 40 hour week she got paid for. She came in late every day and left early..and rarely worked any Fridays. She would leave the students who worked for her to do all of the work for her. I remember coming into work angry a lot! I hope that things get better for you there.
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    We have a person like that at our paper here. She the only person who is in charge of the obituaries. Which, being one of the 2 funeral homes in town, we have to deal with her on a regular basis. At first she would say that she didn't get our email, then she wouldn't get the faxes, and the topper, she didn't get our submission when I hand carried it to the paper, more than 24 hours in advance of deadline.
    She is never there during normal hours and none of the front office ladies(who are great!) have any idea what her schedule is.
    Both funeral homes have lodged complaints all the way up the chain of command, and there she is, screwing up the obits still. She has actually told families that it's really not a big deal, since they are dead and no one reads the whole thing anyway. AND SHE IS STILL EMPLOYED. We haven't quite figured out who she is related to, but it sure is someone up there!!

So I feel your pain sparkles, but your's is infinately more frustrating since you are the one left to cover her butt!
  • kobrie17
    kobrie17 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    report the situation to your boss's boss or an even higher up. someone has to be paying attention to the rule book. then personally, when you know shes about to get fired, do something really *****y to her to let her know that every hates her and shes about to get ****ed..i love it when ppl get whats coming to them. good luck=]
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Do you have an HR office to look into doing a transfer within your company? I worked with my hubby once, but we acted like adults. Everyone always said we were a great working couple because we are not fighters, and we were not all mushy. The other couple who were dating one of them finally got fired over her obsessiveness! GAG!

Anyway, more the point...It can be a miserable situation for others if the couple is not careful. In your case there is nothing you can do, you can't change her, you can't change or complain to him. You might love that job, but there is nothing wrong with "looking to learn more about the company and into other options." Right?

Good luck girlie! The comment about "going to work angry...." I had a job like that once!!! ONCE! YUCK! Now I look back and think, why did I put up with that???
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    i agree with everyone else go higher up if you can--maybe the others will support you==i cant stand people who think they are the only ones with an outside life. really it is disrespectful to the people who have to stay late because she comes in late.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    Oh no she didn't mess w/ my girl Em!!!!:angry: ......just say the word pretty girl....and I will come charging!!!....:mad:

but if ya know you don't want to pull out the big guns....all 5'2" of me...LMBO....then I say write a letter to the top honcho....or HR rep....but only if you feel like it won't back fire on you...see I work in an "The office-esque" environment...where there are those you can trust and those you can't....sigh...its sucks girly...but you don't deserve to pay for other's mistakes.....band up w/ the others and go together!!! just a thought....or make that call girl....I'll be standing by the phone!!!:wink:

hugs and :heart:
    Ali....:flowerforyou:
  • emtink
    emtink Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    i would start looking for another job. from my own experience with a company that knowingly broke their own rules (especially nepotism), the higher ups are aware, and they don't want to hear complaints about it. maybe talk to hr, and if they gloss over it or don't really do anything, then you know what the situation really is. i left my horrible job, and found a much better one. best of luck!
  • iluvsparkles
    Options
    yea, unfortunately my boss doesnt have a boss..so going over his head is out of the question.

it pretty much blows all around. Every once in a while when she does something particularly disrespectful i will call her right out on it, but she usually just blows it off and thats that.

i think my next line of defence is going to the girls she works with, the other two sales reps, who actually DO their jobs, and see if they can suggest something that mght work to make her a little more concious of how she is treating others.

she will never be fired. She makes it very clear DAILY that she is the boss' wife. What a load of crap!

btw we recently had a girl whos worked here for over ten years quit because of this woman. I thought that would say it all, but its only gotten worse, because she is now taking advantage of the new person in that old position
  • emtink
    emtink Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    get out! get out now!!!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    get out! get out now!!!

Yep, I think that's your only option to save your sanity.

Start your own company & take the good employees with you. :wink:
  • iluvsparkles
    Options
    i agree with everyone else go higher up if you can--maybe the others will support you==i cant stand people who think they are the only ones with an outside life. really it is disrespectful to the people who have to stay late because she comes in late.

no kidding! then she comes in the next day talking about being at the rec center, or going shopping, and i just reply with "i wish i hadnt gotten out of here so late last nite so I could go to the gym" but she is pretty dense so she never 'gets it'

shes really bad about regifting also, which i just find humorous. I always call her out on that one.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Ugh...sounds awful :ohwell: I have no advice for you..I mean if the boss is her husband than there is nothing u can do :sad: Sorry...but at least u know we're here to talk to :bigsmile: lol *hugs* Hang in there Em!

:heart:
    i agree. This is just about a no win situation, unless you go over his head, but in that case it could backfire. suck it up grin and run off thew anger!
  • kaiyacali
    kaiyacali Posts: 175
    Options
    Make up some crazy excuse to match her hours (as best as you can). That way, you'll only have a 10 hour day vs 12 LOL! J/K!
  • walnut
    walnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Is your boss fully aware of the extent of the situation? Maybe you and your co-workers could write him an anonymous letter about how it's affecting everyone, affecting morale, and ultimately affecting the work that's being done. I would think if he is the owner of the company he'd want to know if an employee, even if it's his wife, is affecting the business in such a way. Even if he wouldn't fire her, a good talking-to might affect her behavior.