Weigh in? Every week?

Options
My question is..
Do you weigh in every week? everyday? once a month?
I've heard people say that your weight will go up and down daily so it's better not to weigh everyday.. it will just get you feeling down.
So what does everyone do? What's best?

Replies

• kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I prob weigh every day or every couple days but I only log the weight on here once a week.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    If you are easily discouraged, once a week would be good. Do it the same time and day of the week. I do it daily because, well I don't know just like my cool Aria scale!!!
  • sgh4ra
    sgh4ra Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week. I do it at the same time (roughly) that I did the first time I weighed. I think that weighing in every day is counterproductive; at least it was for me. Your weight fluctuates too much and it can either (1) get you down or (2) give you a false sense of security (when you've eaten more than you planned and then it doesn't immediately show.) Good luck.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I do once a month. But after I weigh in this Friday, I think I"m going to switch to every two weeks.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily just to "keep myself in check" and log weight and measurements at least once a week. Did it twice this week (Monday and today) after one heck of a naughty weekends.

I do it just for a mental kick in the bum, always with measurements. When I was younger and had the misconception that I was huge (so totally would love to be there again!!) I worked out and weighed and measured....only numbers going down were my measurements. Taught me that weight isn't everything.

Best advice is to feel it out and find what works for you. Honestly, this journey will teach you that one person's solution may not be yours. Sure, you can follow it and lose weight/build muscle/see results....but if it doesn't make you happy in an all-around way, you'll never truely stick it out.

Find your way and kick *kitten* :glasses:
  • zeala
    zeala Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Once a week, but I completely ignore one week a month because the weight always goes up by about 3lb during that week. So overall I focus on the month.
  • Fuzzbang
    Fuzzbang Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I check it every day as soon as I wake up and pee. But I only log it in once per week.
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I like weekly, it's the best way to show overall progress and not the daily fluctuations. I weigh myself kinda obsessively, usually once or twice a day [before the morning shower and sometimes in the evening] but I only record the weight change if it's been consistently lower for 4-5 days in a row.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Once a week on Friday morning.

This makes most sense for me because Friday night- Sunday night I'm usually not as disciplined with my eating so it doesn't make sense for me to weigh in on a Monday morning... then just get let down when I don't see a loss because I've got a lot of water retention etc. from the weekend. :)

I used to be obsessed with the scale.. every day would weigh in. That just drove me crazy and drove unhealthy behaviors. :(

Friday morning is my day now. No ifs, ands, or buts.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I check it every day as soon as I wake up and pee. But I only log it in once per week.

Same here, just to keep a check on it, goes up a pound or down a pound, but I the trend is the important bit, not daily weight
  • Texasopa
    Texasopa Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I weigh the 1st of every month. I try not to worry about it too much. I know if I eat right and go to the gym, I'm gonna loose weight.
    I got discouraged too much weighing daily.
  • irishscootz
    irishscootz Posts: 97
    Options
    I weigh-in at least once a week, and log it. But I will check it periodically throughout the week, depending on what's going on.
  • jlcrph
    jlcrph Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i weigh myself every day at the same time - just to have an idea of where I am. However, I only log my weight every Saturday morning.
  • starbab311
    starbab311 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week but every 4 weeks I skip the scale & take measurements.

My girlfriend weighed everyday and it was very discouraging to her so I try to keep it as stress free as possible...
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I like to weigh one a week. It helps me stay accountable and if things start going pear shaped I can catch it before it gets totally out of hand.
  • lmcgowenscott
    lmcgowenscott Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, but its only to keep me in check. I log my weight once a week and I take my measurements once a month. It's important you find what works for you though.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day just to see... but "officially" I weigh myself every week. That's the only number I record here on MFP.
  • TheDarlingOne
    TheDarlingOne Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    That's exactly what happened to me. i was getting too scale obsessed, and using bad #'s as an excuse to do whatever i wanted and eat whatever.

since i changed to 1x a month - MUCH LESS STRESS. you spend your time looking @ quality of foods, how they make you feel - do they kill the hunger, was it worth eating etc - as oppose to - oh man i'm gonna weigh in on friday, in 2 days but man i want that candy bar, but whatever if it sucks on the scale it just does i'm bad and i shouldn't eat bad stuff blah blah

haha.

but since changing to 1x a month - i have been more encouraged to 'keep at it' - even when the scale did look "not so good" for may 1st's weigh in - i'm looking forward to june 1st's weigh in so i can see how well i've improved :)

wish you well - here's to a great june! :)
  • berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday at least, but I only log my weight as official on Fridays. I'm the type that likes to see the reflection between what/how much I eat and my weight per day. It's also motivation for me to continue working :)
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Daily; I then enter it in a spreadsheet that calculates a weighted average of my weights. As long as my daily value is below the average, I'm losing weight, even if it's 2 lbs. heavier than the previous day. See John Walker, "The Hacker's Diet," chapters on "The Rubber Bag" and "Signal and Noise" for an explanation (free online at http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/).