Juicing Yay or Nay?

Options
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has added Juicing to their diets? I was thinking of juicing for breakfast and eating low calorie meals for lunch and dinner. Has anyone had success or no success with Juicing?

Thanks!
Rosa

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I like to eat so juicing has never tempted me, but my question for you would be what do you plan to do when you reach your goal? Unless this is something that you plan to continue long term, I would not suggest it as a short term way to lose weight.
  • StephF3692
    StephF3692 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has added Juicing to their diets? I was thinking of juicing for breakfast and eating low calorie meals for lunch and dinner. Has anyone had success or no success with Juicing?

Thanks!
    Rosa

Hi Rosa! I added nutribullet-blasts with mostly vegetables and fruits to my eating plans, and enjoying it. I didn't want to buy a juicer because you lose all the fiber of the produce, and have to go through a lot more for a serving of juice. I've been doing this for about 50 days, and now instead of chips and cookies, I crave salads...it's so crazy but awesome. I find that when I drink whatever drink I've made for the morning first, that I am less hungry for breakfast and other meals, but I still try to reach my totals.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I used to have a green juice everyday. Kale, spinach, apple, cucumber, ginger and lemon. I drank it mostly because of the nutrients and vitamins since I don't eat kale or spinach a lot. It was around 250 calories and I was hungry fast. I decided I'd rather use those calories on something that kept me full longer, and just take vitamins.

I did enjoy it, just wasn't a great supplement because I was hungry within the hour.
  • henriettevanittersum
    henriettevanittersum Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I juice, but not as a meal replacement. I do it to get all my daily nutrients, specially vitamins and minerals. Approx. 4x per week I make a veggie juice with added fruit and peppermint for taste. It works for me. The fiber is not an issue as with my Huron, there are still plenty coming through. Also, I eat chia seeds a lot.
  • trueepicure
    trueepicure Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    One problem with juicing is that you are leaving behind all of the fiber from the fruit, which is an important part of good nutrition as well as keeping you full longer. I prefer whole fruit or smoothies where the whole fruit(s) are blended.
  • niceguywi
    niceguywi Posts: 11
    Options
    I juice with my Vitamix blender. Put some protein powder, fruit, veggies, blend it up.... nothing wasted and you get a full healthy glass of goodness!
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Nay.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Nay.I need my fiber so I blend the whole fruit and veggies.

My morning smoothie is kale (super cheap!), banana, 1/4 cup frozen blueberries, 1/4 cup frozen raspberries, water (and flax seed when I remember it).
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss with a juice fast for 5 days. It helped break my cravings for sweets. I still juice a few times a week but to supplement a meal, not to replace it. For example, I'll eat a wrap or pita sandwich for lunch and do a veggie packed juice to get extra nutrition. It also seems to help keep things flowing, so to speak! I enjoy the taste of the juice and it helps me get some veggies I wouldn't ordinarily eat, like beets.
  • carolachristensen
    Options
    Nay-I also prefer to eat food.
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I have a mean green every morning. (along with a hard boiled egg) It consists of 2 green apples, 3 things of celery, a cucumber, couple things of kale, thumb sized piece of ginger root, and a half (or whole if its small) of a lemon. It fills up a whole blender bottle. I dont usually eat a ton of vegetables and this is a great way for me to get my vegetables every morning. Watch "fat,sick,and nearly dead" This is something you can do forever. It doesn't have to be temporary. It's all fresh vegetables. :)
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I'm not super crazy about juice so I don't really get it myself.

If juice is something you're super into, why not? I don't get the appeal of replacing a meal with juice though..

Smoothies on the other hand.. Smoothies are where it's at. Again maybe not as a meal. Except breakfast. I like smoothies for breakfast.
  • starrdark
    starrdark Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are on Day 5 of juicing, more or less following Joe Cross's Reboot plan. Joe did the documentary "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead."

Five days of only juice isn't a lot, but I'm pretty amazed at how full and satisfied I'm feeling. We'll begin adding in smoothies (more fiber,) a bit of olive oil and some proteins after this first week. At the end of 2 or 3 weeks, we're hoping to make juicing a regular part of our routine, with two or three juices a day plus one mostly plant-based meal.

Our goal is better health more than weight loss.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks!
    Rosa

I do it for breakfast and enjoy the hell out of it. One of my colleagues does as well. He does fruit in his, I don't. I keep within a relatively narrow band of veg I like. You can check out my diary if you'd like. I don't think I juiced last week, but I've been consistent with it previous. Last week was a big transitional week for me.

It's sharpened me up mentally for work, and it keeps me feeling good. I like it.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss with a juice fast for 5 days. It helped break my cravings for sweets. I still juice a few times a week but to supplement a meal, not to replace it. For example, I'll eat a wrap or pita sandwich for lunch and do a veggie packed juice to get extra nutrition. It also seems to help keep things flowing, so to speak! I enjoy the taste of the juice and it helps me get some veggies I wouldn't ordinarily eat, like beets.
    Same experience here. Although I don't do the wrap or pita. ;)
  • mistyme
    mistyme Posts: 26
    Options
    Nay
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options

Hi Rosa! I added nutribullet-blasts with mostly vegetables and fruits to my eating plans, and enjoying it. I didn't want to buy a juicer because you lose all the fiber of the produce, and have to go through a lot more for a serving of juice. I've been doing this for about 50 days, and now instead of chips and cookies, I crave salads...it's so crazy but awesome. I find that when I drink whatever drink I've made for the morning first, that I am less hungry for breakfast and other meals, but I still try to reach my totals.

THIS! I LOVE my nutribullet! I chose mine for the same reason (if I'm going to throw money down the drain, it won't be because half of my food went into the compost!) Its true, I DO crave salads and veggie stix and such as opposed to regular junk. It keeps me on track to start my day with a nice "shake" and the possibilities are endless :bigsmile:
  • rtorres1985
    rtorres1985 Posts: 18
    Options
    Thank you for your replies! Im going to try for a week and see how the cravings go!:drinker: