advice from runners on running in the heat

Options
I started running last fall. Since Christmas I have regularly been running 10 km. I have been on holiday for two weeks with no running. Today I went out- it is now very hot and humid. It was really difficult- I had to stop and walk twice. I did 7.8 km and that was a challenge. I wore one of those belts with little water bottles and did drink alot along the way.

What advice do runners have for running in the summer, particularly in high humidity?

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Go out early, drink a lot of water, be prepared for your times to drop

It takes a few weeks to get acclimated to the heat
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me. Its frustrating but your body has to acclimate to the heat and humidity like vetryshyn said. I agree, run early in the day, drink more water, plan to take breaks as needed and try not to be discouraged. It's hard I know because just today I was very down about how horrible it was.
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    Go out early, drink a lot of water, be prepared for your times to drop

It takes a few weeks to get acclimated to the heat

^^this^^

and I have also read that it takes about 2 weeks to acclimate..but if you take a break from the heat, and say run on a treadmill for 10 days you will have to re-acclimate. With both heat and humidity your times will drop, with both being high your times will drop a lot!! so either SLOOOOW down the run or expect to take a lot more walking breaks.

beyond that...I have heard the suggestion of wetting down your shirt before your run...putting ice under a hat...I haven't tried either..but they sound like they could work :wink:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Drink water, but not too much. If you drink too much you'll pee out sodium (and other nutrients) throughout the day before you run.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I'm cursed with the worst weather in the universe living in england, but my marathon in toronto was on a blazing hot day..I had never even experienced weather warm enough for a t shirt and shorts and the best advice a gentleman gave me at the expo to deal with the heat is to wear a hat and every so often, pour water on my head and put the cap back on. it really worked well for me.

Other than that, stay hydrated as much as possible and don't push yourself too hard.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Even after you acclimatize, you will still need to go slower than what you could do when it was cooler. It's a challenge, but if you keep up your workouts in the summer you will be in amazing shape in the fall. As soon as the temperature drops you'll notice that your runs seem easier, and you'll be going a lot faster!
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    i get pre hydrated the day prior. and then you will be starting in a good place - wear sun screen. its cooler in the am but if i cant do that i go out at night. :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    properly hydrate the day before. the day off have something with more balanced electrolytes like coconut water.

i like freezing a ziploc baggy filled with water and wearing that on top of my head and underneath the baseball cap i wear on hot, sunny and humid days to help keep sun and sweat out of my eyes.
    i dont like carrying water bottles with, but i make sure to know where the water fountains are along my route
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Im on the Texas gulf coast and trust me, it's hot and humid. As someone above mentioned, summer is the time to train, when fall comes you will be a stronger runner.

Drink water before the run.
    Wear white.
    Wear a hat.
    Wear a tech shirt and wet it before the run.
    Carry water for long runs.
    Select a route having trees for shade.
    Run earlier in the AM
    Carry a Cool Towel http://www.campmor.com/o2-cool-articloth-cooling-towel.shtml
    And for my favorite, run through someone's water sprinkler every chance you find! YE-OWL BAY-BEE!
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    sunglasses_and_ocean_waves Posts: 2,757 Member
    Options
    I'm new to running, but not to speed walking. I agree with what's been written so far and will add, don't wear dark colors. Cotton's not great either. Wear something that wicks moisture. I go out in the am or early evening and stay on the side of the road where there's shade whenever I can.
  • AFilmer
    AFilmer Posts: 22
    Options
    wear little.

go early in the morning.

drink some water but not too much.

don't eat a lot of food before run.

eat some salt or take a thermotab (makes your body retain water).
  • phooey43
    phooey43 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hydration is definitely key, we get a several people into the ER with heatstroke. I agree with everything stated above and have one more thing to add, the trail I run primarily has a couple of spots that you can drive to, so I throw a couple of water bottles into the brush nearby that I can pickup as I run by, or if at a track I will just throw my water along the side and pick it up as needed. I hate to carry water with me. Whatever you do hydration and electrolyte replacement is important