Training for a race...

Options
I have recently started running again. I stopped for a long while due to a knee injury which now seems to be healed. I have only been back to running for about three weeks and I feel amazing. Right now the furthest I've ran is 4 miles. Although at 4 miles I feel like I'm at my happy place and want to keep going...

I would like to sign up for a race by Sept. My questions are endless.... Should I go for a 10k or a half marathon? Also...how do you transition into running more. Should I run every other day? Everyday at different intervals and speeds? Whats your schedule?

Any suggestions or information is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I'd go for a 10k. If you are pressed for time, try a running plan from FIRST

http://itscheesecaketime.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/furman-1st-10k-program.pdf

If you have more time and are really avid about running, you can try something like this http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/137.shtml
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I have recently started running again. I stopped for a long while due to a knee injury which now seems to be healed. I have only been back to running for about three weeks and I feel amazing. Right now the furthest I've ran is 4 miles. Although at 4 miles I feel like I'm at my happy place and want to keep going...

I would like to sign up for a race by Sept. My questions are endless.... Should I go for a 10k or a half marathon? Also...how do you transition into running more. Should I run every other day? Everyday at different intervals and speeds? Whats your schedule?

Any suggestions or information is greatly appreciated!

since you're coming back from a knee injury i would also say train for a 10k. i started running about 1.5 years ago and i'm now getting ready to run my first half on saturday. i run 3 days during my lunch hour (less than an hour run) then rest then run 2 long runs (one on the weekend and one during the week at night). on the day i did strength training i also ran 1 mile at the fastest i could go but the rest of the time i stayed within my pace. for me distance is more important than speed.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    choose the race based on your preferences. like me personally i would never ever do a half or full marathon even if i could run that long because those distances bore me. I personally prefer 5 and 10k so only sign up for those. I like to have everything over in an hour so i can enjoy my post race beer and brunch :laugh:

i'm just now getting back into running and currently do a 5k program 3 days a week. once i'm able to run the full 5k my plan is to restart it again once a week where i build up to 10K. i also lift 3 days a week so i dont think it's conceivable for me to add an extra day of running and i'm really only willing to spend at most 90 minutes running any distance anyway, so that's going to limit the distances i would train for
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'd let the event/venue determine what race I signed up for, not the distance. Find one that's going to be fun, then train for it.
  • amandanndel
    amandanndel Posts: 47
    Options
    I'd let the event/venue determine what race I signed up for, not the distance. Find one that's going to be fun, then train for it.

I'm actually searching this right now. I want a fun race!!!
  • MadisonLeo
    MadisonLeo Posts: 89
    Options
    I ran my first half in April and that was with only 10 weeks of training. Definitely find a good training program. The thing with the injury is don't focus on speed or time, focus on finishing the race. I agree with the above comment, find a fun race and go from there!
  • nncantrell
    nncantrell Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the find a fun race comment...fun races (or at least great cheering locals) make all the difference! Good luck! :)