Mexican Lasagna... low calorie and soooo delicious!

Options
I recently found and made this recipe for vegan, low fat, Mexican Lasagna and I must say, it blew my expectations out of the water. I'm not a vegan nor a vegetarian, but I definitely didn't miss the meat in this dish, it was so delicious! My very sizable portion (1/8th of a 9x13 pan) came in around 310 calories and only 3 grams of fat! This a recipe for those who are looking for a meal with minimal calories that doesn't cut back on flavor. I highly recommend!

Mexican Lasagna (or Enchilada Casserole)

1/2 large green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 large red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped (optional)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large onion, chopped
corn tortillas--at least 12
3 cups (28 ounces) fatfree refried beans
2 medium tomatoes, diced
1 tsp. chili powder, divided
1/2 tsp. cumin, divided
3 cups black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup salsa
1 can enchilada sauce (or 1 1/2 cups homemade)
sliced black olives

Preheat oven to 375 F.

In a non-stick pan with a little water (1 tbsp.), sauté the peppers, garlic, and onion for about 3 minutes, or until softened. Set aside.

Spray a 9 X 13-inch baking pan with non-stick spray. Line the bottom with a layer of tortillas (you may cut some of them to fit). Make sure you cover the entire bottom of the pan.

Stir the refried beans and spread half of them evenly over the tortillas. Cover the refried beans with half of the pepper-onion mixture and half of the tomatoes; sprinkle with half of the seasonings and half of the black beans.

Add another layer of tortillas and repeat the layers of the other ingredients. Spread the cup of salsa over the final layer of black beans. Cover with a final layer of tortillas, pour the enchilada sauce over the top, and sprinkle with black olives. Cover and bake for about 30 minutes or until hot throughout. It will be easier to cut if you allow it to cool for about 10 minutes before serving.

Makes about 8 large servings. Each serving contains 319 Calories (kcal); 5g Total Fat; (13% calories from fat); 15g Protein; 56g Carbohydrate; 9mg Cholesterol; 601mg Sodium; 14g Fiber. Weight Watchers 6 Flex points.

Recipe courtesy of:
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/07/mexican-lasagna-or-enchilada-casserole.html

Replies

• Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Sounds awesome.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I'm excited to try this tomorrow. So glad I cooked up a big pot of black beans to use for lunches!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SashaSpells
    Options
    thanks for sharing! =)
  • dorwade
    dorwade Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm making this next week for Meatless Monday! Sounds so yummy!
  • stellcorb
    stellcorb Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Gotta try that!
  • shannon_miller
    Options
    Oh this sounds great, thanks!
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    BUMP! My husband would totally eat this and sounds amazing!
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy!
  • mhagoaliemom
    Options
    Looks great! Thanks for sharing! :bigsmile:
  • mommamills
    mommamills Posts: 437
    Options
    wow! thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Yummy! And easy ingredients! Bump!
  • themyriadthings
    themyriadthings Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I've been looking for more ways to eat dried beans and this looks delicious - thanks!
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    bump....yummm
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    This looks great! :) Bumping to try next week...
  • mcpherson4
    mcpherson4 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Sound yummy to me, but with no cheese, do you think my 9 and 11 year olds will like it? They love mexican. Thanks!
  • rhymeofanothersummer
    Options
    To mcpherson4, If your children aren't picky about beans, they are sure to love it. As for the cheese, I added reduced fat shredded cheddar on just half of the top during the last 15 minutes of baking, as my boyfriend is the same way. That way I could eat my portion without the extra calories while he could still eat it with cheese. Although, even he admitted it was delicious without it.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Num! :love:
  • rinren84
    rinren84 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ucms
    ucms Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, one question...what is enchilada sauce? Can I get it at a regular grocery store??