Counting fruits and veggies?

Options
Do you guys think it's really necessary to count calories for fruit and veggies?

I like how in WW most fruit and veggies are free. Obviously I'd still count some (corn, potatoes). But apples, oranges, grapefruit, carrots, celery, cucumber?

What do you think?

Replies

• rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I think yes, because fruits and vegetables have calories and nutritional value too, and can help you meet your nutrient needs. I for one like checking on my phone app to see how I did on vitamin C or A, or fiber, etc. Also, when I go over on my sugar recommendations, but most every sugar gram came from fruits, I don't worry. When I've eaten less clean foods and notice the sugar ratched up, I know to do better tomorrow. This is my opinion though, do what works for you! I also like keeping track of it just for the thought that I can see how many servings of fruit/veggies I got in for the day...
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Do you guys think it's really necessary to count calories for fruit and veggies?

I like how in WW most fruit and veggies are free. Obviously I'd still count some (corn, potatoes). But apples, oranges, grapefruit, carrots, celery, cucumber?

What do you think?

I agree I believe it is necessary to count the calories ... you might think you are on a defect when you are actually over eating.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options

What do you think?

I agree I believe it is necessary to count the calories ... you might think you are on a defect when you are actually over eating.

I think counting is necessary too - I did WW off and on for ages, I think counting everything on MFP is the reason I'm doing well here
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    of course you count them.
    they have calories, carbs, sugars, fiber, sometimes a little fat even...
  • KAYRRIE
    KAYRRIE Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    When I started here I didn't because of the Weight Watchers idea too, and then I ran into someone's comment on these posts once and she said, "Fruits don't have free calories and therefore they should be counted just like everything else". That was a lightbulb moment and I have been adding them ever since. I count everything that I eat now, EVERYTHING. It just makes for a more accurate diary for yourself too.
  • sparklingday
    sparklingday Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I count them all. Veggies have more nutritional value and less sugar and calories but they still count.
    Fruits, WOW!! you might do a bit of research and check out the calories and sugars and carbs that are in fruits. Very High Values!!
    I would recommend counting it all for a month and see how things look and then decide if you think you need to continue counting them or not. Different things work for different folks.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Yes count them. Most have calories/carbs/etc. Plus it re-enforces the habit of logging everything.

I.E. apples have a lot of sugar and carbs.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I've never done WW, but from what I remember hearing, the points equal a very low calorie goal. So when you're already very low calorie, it's not a problem to add a couple hundred extra a day from fruits or vegetables.

But if you're doing calorie counting, count them.
  • composite
    composite Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why you would even consider not counting them?
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Always. I'm not always specific on weights for things like spinach, cucumber and salad leafs, but I normally overestimate weights anyway.

Fruit, in particular, has high sugar levels - natural, but sugar levels none the less, as well as carbohydrates. If you're not that bothered about macro's then it's your call. Personally, I need to know because I'm a data junkie. Also, I know from people who do WW that although fruit is free, eating 5 banana's a day is counter-productive really - members were gaining weight, not losing because they were eating crap load of fruit.
  • runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    What others said. In addition, I annotate how my exercises went - how I'm feeling in general, if I've a headache, etc... I keep an eye to make sure I'm getting a good mix of fruit and veggies, and look back on it. I find if I'm low of veggies, I don't feel great next day.

Count everything.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options

What do you think?

I'm eating an apple right now...it's about 90 calories. Earlier I had a cup of mixed berries that totaled about 80 calories. I had 100g of cherries for desert at lunch...that totaled about 60 calories. I had some spinach at lunch @ 20 calories and am having Brussels sprouts for dinner @ 35 calories. I also had 2 low sodium V8 juices today totaling 60 calories. So, today I've consumed a total of 345 calories in fruits and vegetables. I only have a 250-300 calorie deficit from maintenance to lose about 0.5 Lbs per week. If I didn't count those calories and ate up to my calorie goal with other foods, I'd be at a surplus of calories for the day.

I have a feeling that a lot of people think like this and I believe it to be a big reason why "it isn't working" for so many people.

This isn't WW. WW makes up for that by allocating higher points to other things...that makes up the difference usually...it's not based on actual calories. When you're calorie counting, you have to count all of the calories...
  • adam1885282
    adam1885282 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The only thing I don't worry about is lettuce. 100 grams is something like 14 calories, and 100 grams is a full plate of lettuce.

I still record it, I'm just not as particular about weighing it.

But fruit is about 100 cal per peice, so that can add up quickly.
  • jade2112
    jade2112 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie no matter where it comes from.
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    count every single thing you put in your mouth otherwise you are cheating yourself and won't meet your goals.

I even logged cress tonight which came in at 3 cals !

Some fruits eg apples and bananas are high in sugar, and need to be monitored if you're going low carb
  • lmcgowenscott
    lmcgowenscott Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    As I recall, WW does count fruit, although it is only 1 or 2 pts, depending on the fruit. Veggies are the rare ones that don't count, and even then some do. Something to keep in mind: one WW point is roughly 50 calories, so anything under 50 calories won't count there, which is why they give slightly higher points to some foods. And WW points only take into consideration calories, fat and fiber. They aren't accounting for sugars, carbs, etc. Those are important things as well. And, when you take the amount of points you are allowed on WW and multiply them by 50, you'll actually see that your calories are roughly the same as they are for MFP (give or take another 100 or so). It's important to count everything you ingest!
  • oldernotwiser
    oldernotwiser Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    You should count everything including herbs and spices. Individually they may not mean much but it all adds up eventually. More importantly, though, is maintaining the discilpine of tracking everything and logging daily.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think it's necessary to count the calories in fruits and vegetables. I'm surprised by how many calories of those I eat per day.
  • RockMe777
    RockMe777 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I count everything, I am borderline diabetic and fruit has a lot of sugar that I need to track