PCOS-Low Glycemic Index Diet

Options
So I've had a ton of success with eating low gylcemic with the PCOS(Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome). It was really the only thing that has ever worked in me losing weight and would highly recommend it if you have PCOS. I started last July and within a few month of being really good on it, lost about 35-40lbs with execerise.

I've been off it for a few months..have only gained back like 6lbs but have to get on it again and started last week! I hurt my back so it kinda threw me a curveball.

Anyway, just wanted to share and see if anyone else has seen success with this or has any great recipes that are low GI?

I have a ton of recipes in here that are low GI and its amazing how many yummy foods you can make that fit this kind of diet!

This is the site I used to print out the list of acceptable foods to eat and non acceptable according to the LOW GI diet.

http://www.lifetimefatloss.com/glycemic-index-list-of-foods.html

It the middle paragraph, you click on where it says "printable list". I post it on my fridge and honestly by know I have it memorized :)

Hope it helps someone!

Replies

• MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Lower/Good carb, low glycemic, high protein is a great diet for both PCOS and diabetes.
    Since I am a former diabetic and PCOS never goes away - I have been following this for years.

I was a little suprised to see millet on the high glycemic list though... but good to know!

Also sucrose is on the high glycemic list --- but sucralose (splenda) is not on either list.
    I can't actually determine if Sucralose (splenda) should be high or low -- there are tons of articles if you google and they all contradict each other. I usually use stevia, truvia, agave -- but a lot of protein powders have splenda so I use some of those too.

Good link though!
  • Jeanine_Colavecchi
    Jeanine_Colavecchi Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Yea its crazy some of the things I never knew were high like pineapple, cantelope....I'd eat that all the time thinking it was super good for me LOL
  • kristybenner
    kristybenner Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I HAVE PCOS AND CANNOT SEEM TO DO MORE THAN MAINTAIN MY WEIGHT THAT IS A SUCSESS FOR ME. I AM GOING TO TRY THIS. I AM ON DEPO ITS THE ONLY THING THAT KEEPS ME FROM HAVING... EPISODES WITH MY PCOS. MY DOCTOR SAID I WOULD GAIN 10-15 POUNDS A YEAR AND SHE IS ON TARGET.

I AM STOKED TO FIND YOUR POST. I HAVE ABOUT 150LBS TO GET HEALTHY AND IT SEEMS UNREAL MOST DAYS.
    I WOULD LOVE RECIPES IF YOU COULD SHARE THAT WOULD BE GREAT.

THANK YOU~
  • Jinx1
    Jinx1 Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi there, I just went for an ultrasound and found out that I might have PCOS. I've been married for almost 11 years and we haven't gotten pregnant yet. Never really "tried" but we haven't not tried either if you get what I mean. I have to go for another ultrasound in 4-6 weeks to see if the cysts have gone away but in the meantime i'm being sent to a fertility doctor. I am over weight which has crept up on me over the last 10 years (i'm currently 34) . It is nice to see that a lot of other women struggle with this as I am brand new to it. I am going to give this GI lifestyle a try, if anything it will help me adopt healthier eating habits. Feel free to add me as a friend if any of you would like to stay in touch and have a support system. :-)
  • Jinx1
    Jinx1 Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks!