Any vegetable you feel is a waste to eat?

Options

Replies

• bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    Funny thing about corn is that, as we've bred it to be sweeter and lighter in color, it's lost nutrients and gained sugar. (some varieties are 40% sugar now!) Yellow corn, or even better yet, multicolored "Indian corn" is far more nutritious.

NY times quotes:

Corn with deep yellow kernels, including the yellow corn available in our grocery stores, has nearly 60 times more beta-carotene than white corn, valuable because it turns to Vitamin A in the body, which helps vision and the immune system.

and

Build a sweeter fruit or vegetable — by any means — and we will come. Today, most of the fresh corn in our supermarkets is extra-sweet. The kernels are either white, pale yellow, or a combination of the two. The sweetest varieties approach 40 percent sugar, bringing new meaning to the words “candy corn.” Only a handful of farmers in the United States specialize in multicolored Indian corn, and it is generally sold for seasonal decorations, not food.

Here's a link to the full article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/26/opinion/sunday/breeding-the-nutrition-out-of-our-food.html?pagewanted=all

No wonder the country has such a weight problem, even our 'healthy' food is full of sugar.

I had to read a book a few years ago in University called The Omnivore's Dilemna and I was surprised how much corn North Americans eat, from hidden sources, Corn is used in EVERYTHING. even in making plastic lol. Just about everything in the supermarket has corn in some shape or form.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't think any vegetable is a waste, but then again I'm a chef.:smile:
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Zucchini. What's the point of it? And then people go and waste perfectly good ingredients making zucchini bread. Even worse, chocolate zucchini bread.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Corn just tastes good.

But celery? What IS the point of celery?
  • Seej
    Seej Posts: 7
    Options
    Beat me to it. Corn's a grain. Iceberg lettuce isn't the most nutritious lettuce. I'll pass up a salad at a restaurant unless it's spring greens or romaine or something that doesn't taste like crispy water.
  • Wakefromsleep
    Options
    Beets
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Crisphead Lettuce (iceberg lettuce, depending on where in the world you live).

No nutrition, boring and spoils way too easily.

This. Never eat it, entirely pointless for me.
  • Jenni129
    Jenni129 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Eggplant
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Pickles, I think they taste disgusting and there isn't alot of nutrition in them but yet they get put along side alot of foods you order. My youngest daughter would disagree though she loves pickles, I just can't stand pickles.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I love corn. I mean that is just not a good nutritional choice. Like iceberg lettuce.

not meaning harm at all.

It's a fine nutritional choice.

- decent source of vitamin A
    - antioxidant rich
    - good source of lutein and zeaxanthin (eye health)
    - high in fiber

Not to mention, it's delicious...though I am biased...originally from Nebraska.

Yes, it is starchy just like potatoes and higher calorie as far as veggies go...but I don't categorize foods as good or bad just because of their carb value, fat value, or calorie value. I suppose if you're low carbing, corn would not be on the list...otherwise, it's a perfectly fine nutritional choice.

I'm with you on the iceberg lettuce...pretty much just water...though if you have difficulty getting your hydration on, it's not a bad choice I suppose.
  • CalynZeigs
    CalynZeigs Posts: 34
    Options
    Funny thing about corn is that, as we've bred it to be sweeter and lighter in color, it's lost nutrients and gained sugar. (some varieties are 40% sugar now!) Yellow corn, or even better yet, multicolored "Indian corn" is far more nutritious.

NY times quotes:

Corn with deep yellow kernels, including the yellow corn available in our grocery stores, has nearly 60 times more beta-carotene than white corn, valuable because it turns to Vitamin A in the body, which helps vision and the immune system.

and

Build a sweeter fruit or vegetable — by any means — and we will come. Today, most of the fresh corn in our supermarkets is extra-sweet. The kernels are either white, pale yellow, or a combination of the two. The sweetest varieties approach 40 percent sugar, bringing new meaning to the words “candy corn.” Only a handful of farmers in the United States specialize in multicolored Indian corn, and it is generally sold for seasonal decorations, not food.

Here's a link to the full article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/26/opinion/sunday/breeding-the-nutrition-out-of-our-food.html?pagewanted=all

No wonder the country has such a weight problem, even our 'healthy' food is full of sugar.

I had to read a book a few years ago in University called The Omnivore's Dilemna and I was surprised how much corn North Americans eat, from hidden sources, Corn is used in EVERYTHING. even in making plastic lol. Just about everything in the supermarket has corn in some shape or form.

Yeah, I'm allergic to corn, lung collapsing allergic. It's not that much fun trying to find foods in the country that don't have corn of some sort in them. You'd be amazed how many of the crazy named ingredients at the end are derived from corn sources -.- It's extremely frustrating.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    i-didnt-claw-my-way-up-the-food-chain-to-eat-vegetables-t-shirt.jpg
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    Kohlrabi... blech.....
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    All of my life I thought I loved iceberg lettuce. When I learned just what it is - nothing - I consider it as a waste. It's crispy and has water, but to me, iceberg is just something to hold all the crap that I use to put in a salad, making me think the lettuce is tasting good.
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Half a head of iceberg lettuce has significantly more alpha-carotene, an antioxidant, than either romaine lettuce or spinach- it's NOT a wasted vegetable. Personally- I hate the stuff, but it's not nutritionally bankrupt.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Corn isn't a vegetable but it is delicious.
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Zucchini. What's the point of it? And then people go and waste perfectly good ingredients making zucchini bread. Even worse, chocolate zucchini bread.

Mmmmyum - Curried zucchini pancakes!!!!
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    cauliflower, asparagus + cabbage- we have an IBS household.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Iceberg. I know it has some nutritional value, but to me it's not very filling and I find I put more toppings on a salad of iceberg than I do with spinach or romaine or frisee, etc.

Other than that, I haven't met a veggie I don't like. Unless you count acorn squash as a veggie. If so then there's just the one! lol
  • SabrinaLC
    SabrinaLC Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Celery. Waste! lol

And corn isn't technically a vegetable.