Activity level help please

Hi
Just wondering can ye help me choose what activity level I should set myself at , I'm quiet sedentary during the day apart from my workout , I walk everyday 5 miles and go to gym 5 days a week I do an hour cardio 3 of them days and the other 3 days I do half an hour cardio combined with an hour strength , I wouldn't say my gym workouts are overly strenuous I typically burn 500 calories each session according to my HRM , I was going to the gym 6 days a week and taking 1 day rest but I'm going to cut that down to 5 days going to the gym
What activity level do ye think I fit into ?

Replies

• MACnificence
    MACnificence Posts: 419 Member
    Anyone ?
  • klgpal
    klgpal Posts: 2
    I'm assuming you are talking about the activity level you set in myfitnesspal that it uses to calculate your daily caloric values. I'm new here as well, but you look to have two options:

1) List your basic activity level as "sedentary" (or whatever basic activity level your job/daily life happens to entail), and then add in all of your exercise activities each day in the cardiovascular exercise section of myfitnesspal. Myfitnesspal will then account for all the calories you burned in your workout and adjust your calorie and nutrient recommendations accordingly: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/268-what-are-net-calories

2) For a less accurate, lazier solution (but maybe still good enough for you depending on your intentions) list your activity level as "active" or "very active" and then never bother logging any of your exercise. The net effect may be about the same.

(Note that myfitnesspal can also log strength training exercises in addition to cardiovascular, but it only counts calories from the cardiovascular activities: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/91-doesn-t-strength-training-burn-calories-why-don-t-you-show-any-calories-burned-for-strength-training )
  • MACnificence
    MACnificence Posts: 419 Member
    I was actually going by scoobys workshop calculator which works out TDEE - 20 % , moderate activity is 3-5 hours of moderate exercise a week next up is active and that 6-7 hours of strenuous exercise , I really don't consider my exercise strenuous but I do put a good bit of time into it !
  • Motown_Girl
    Motown_Girl Posts: 2 Member
    This is what I don't get.

Why doesn't this app count burned calories for strength training? My workouts are quite intense. I spend a full hour (and on leg days almost two hours) at the gym.

Not being able to account for that in my daily caloric intake doesn't seem right.

Is there a way around this?
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    The nice thing about tracking everything is you can see if you're actually experiencing results consistent with expectations, and then adjust the parameters to fit.
  • Davina_JH
    Davina_JH Posts: 473 Member
    profile pics, anyone? :indifferent: