Kid Friendly Meals?

Options
Maridinger
Maridinger Posts: 74 Member
I need some new healthy meal options for my kids? Any ideas? Do you make anything special your kids just love? Thank you! In case it matters they are 7, 6 and 3....

Replies

• Weeblessings
    Weeblessings Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    One of my kids' favorite meals, and it reheats great for leftovers we call Cowboy stew. We take 1lb of hamburger and 1 can of gluten free Heinz baked beans. It doesn't have HFCS in it either. We brown the hamburger with 2TBS of coconut oil (any oil of your choice), I also had 2-3TBS of flaxseed meal as I'm browning the hamburger, season the way you choose. Once the hamburger is browned, add the baked beans, heat till all is warmed. It's NOT always the healthiest, but it's quick, great source of protien, and fiber.

Also we use a lot of recipes from the ADD/Autism kids cookbook, too. My kids favorite from there is Light Beef and Broccoli. It's gluten, dairy, egg, corn and nut free. :-)
  • smhaze77
    smhaze77 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My kids are super picky eaters but they seem to like a lot of Skinnytaste.com recipes. There is a cheeseburger casserole one on there that seems kind of strange but its delicious and my whole family loved it.
  • Apicius
    Apicius Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Mine love nachos, and I put a heap of vegetables in a tomato mince sauce, and then put little piles of tomato, avocado, grated carrot, grated cheese and lettuce with a couple of taco shells or some corn chips (plain ones) and they put it together themselves. Adults can skip the corm chips and use lettuce as the wrap which I prefer.

Other things are a salmon cheese mornay sauce on a heap of vegetables (corn, potato, pumpkin etc) and baked in oven with some cheese and breadcrumbs. No one notices the salmon unless they see the tin!

Fried rice using brown rice, with peas, corn and bacon and soy sauce is also a favourite.
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Baked chicken tenders.
    Homemade macaroni and cheese with broccoli mixed in.
    Homemade pizza.
    Homemade soup and sandwiches.
  • lauraleighsm
    lauraleighsm Posts: 167
    Options
    I make a lot of recipes from the 100 Days of Real Food blog. Also, Chocolate Covered Katie blog for healthy desserts.
  • _Aimée_
    _Aimée_ Posts: 190
    Options
    Any breaded meat, I buy breadcrumbs and do it myself as it works out cheaper and healthier.
    I'm not sure 'plain' fillets of fish or meat are necessarily kid friendly but chicken, cod and salmon go down well either grilled or steamed with some herbs or spices, I usually serve with broccoli and home made potato wedges.
    Skewers, he likes to help choose what goes on his, I make a selection of meat and veg, usually put a pesto marinade over them and then grill, usually serve with cous cous and salad or veg.
    Talking of salad..it CAN be kid friendly, I guess it depends on the kid. I get mine to help me prepare or choose what goes in it, and with a tangy dressing he will eat it, most of the time, just keep trying!
    Pasta with sauce, I grate in courgette to get more veg in it.
    Home made fish/crab cakes.
    Prawn pad thai with less chilli.
    Spanish Omlette.
    Cheese and tomato tarts made with puff pastry.
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Pasta and meat sauce with veggies blended into the sauce
    Baked salmon
    Turkey meatloaf muffins
    Turkey burgers