Juice Diets..has anyone tried them?

Options
Hello!

I recently became a fan of juicing organic raw vegetables and fruits. However I have been having a difficult time trying to extract the nutritional value within a cup of my freshly made juice. I have begun to removing juicing from my diet as of late because I cannot figure our the amount of calories/sugars/carbs that I'm taking in. I really would like to continue to have raw juice in my diet for the amount of nutrients is contains.

Does anyone juice or have they in the past? Can you recommend a way to calculate the nutrition?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Replies

• CarriLu123
    CarriLu123 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    http://www.myphytos.com/

This website will let you build your own juice and calculate the calories for you.
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for the link.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Assuming it is one of those 'juicers' that just blends stuff really fineley, it would have the same calories as the whole item.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Whatever you put in is what the calories will be. Depending on the juicer, you're either only removing the fiber (which is next calorieless and your body needs) or you're leaving the fiber in which means it's still the whole fruit or veg. There's no calorie saving advantage to juicing and you aren't getting more nutrients.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Whatever you put in is what the calories will be. Depending on the juicer, you're either only removing the fiber (which is next calorieless and your body needs) or you're leaving the fiber in which means it's still the whole fruit or veg. There's no calorie saving advantage to juicing and you aren't getting more nutrients.

Exactly - your teeth would do the same thing as the juicer does if you weren't to juice.
  • kmcosgrove115
    kmcosgrove115 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I juice as a complement to eating whole foods plant based - and love it! I have a fairly standard mix of:

lemon
    apple
    beet
    ginger
    chard
    kale
    cucumber
    cilantro
    turnip
    carrots

What I did was create my own food - I went in and got the nutritional info from the database based on the set amts I add, totaled them and divided by 8 as I make 8 eight ounces a day...........
  • MadisonLeo
    MadisonLeo Posts: 89
    Options
    Juicing is good for detoxifying the bloodstream. This is especially beneficial for better skin, hair, nails and organ function. As stated below, the calorie content will be the same whether you eat the fruit whole or not.

I recommend juicing as part of a healthy lifestyle. If you add protein, it can also be used as a meal replacement. Only thing to worry about is that once a fruit or veggie is juiced, it starts to lose vitamin content. So the longer it sits, the more vitamins you lose. After a few hours, its really only good for ruffage lol, so as long as you juice and drink it then, you are doing your body good.
  • Mokey41
    Options
    Juicing is good for detoxifying the bloodstream.

Is this bro science or can you back it up with actual facts?
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Juicing is good for detoxifying the bloodstream.

Is this bro science or can you back it up with actual facts?

I've heard the liver is much better at it.
  • Parmcat
    Parmcat Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Look for a movie on Netflix called Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" Joe Cross is the guy, and his story is very inspiring.

I tried to do it, but could not find a combo of greens that I could drink....but juicing does have benefits....watch the documentary
  • nikkiw29
    nikkiw29 Posts: 25
    Options

You do get more nutrients from juicing because you're drinking multiple vegetables and fruits that you normally wouldn't do on a regular basis.
  • Mokey41
    Options

You do get more nutrients from juicing because you're drinking multiple vegetables and fruits that you normally wouldn't do on a regular basis.

You only get more nutrients if you are drinking more veggies and fruit than you would eat but you're also losing out on the fiber that would keep you full and help with your digestion. You're sucking out the sugars and water and throwing out the good stuff. Learn to eat your food instead of suck it through a straw.