New and confused

Options
Hi everyone! I have decided to change from WW to MFP due to money reason (daughter going to dental school) but as I'm reading the posts some of them seem very technical. Is this something I will learn over time like my BMI and HR and other stuff like what is better for me protein or carbs? Ahhh so confused I just want to learn to be healthy and loose weight.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Michelle

Replies

• AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I don't really follow all that jazz. I just do my thing, record my food like a good girl and try to get a walk in at least 3 times a week. Worked for me so far. It's not a bad idea to KNOW your BMI just to get an idea of what it is and where it should be, but I just go by what MFP tells me for calories. If it's not working for you, then you can start eating at TDEE (or whatever other method people use) and see if that works.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Also protein is generally a lot better than carbs. I don't care about going over on protein or fiber, I do worry about carbs and sugars.
  • running_shoe
    running_shoe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Hi Michelle and welcome! MFP works like a charm if you're honest with setting up your account (activity level) and with what you really eat (weigh and measure!) and what you do to burn calories. You can find all kinds of forum posts explaining the math, if you're the sort of person who likes math or is on a nasty plateau and want more info about how it all works. My advice is start with the stuff you know; take a month or two and log your food and exercise and see what happens with the scale. You will seek the knowledge you need as you go along. Don't be in a hurry and enjoy your food and exercise! Add me if you like - I'm in my 40s, too!

Sandy
  • mgs68pony
    mgs68pony Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    First of all WELCOME to MFP!

You will get a lot of information some will be great, some mediocre and some will be just terrible.

Since you are just starting out........follow the calories that MFP suggests and just log everything you eat and try to work out at least 3-4 times a week. With time will you will get more and more familiar with the site and all that it has to offer.

Like the other poster if this isn't working for you start changing up things until you find something that works.

Good Luck on your journey!
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i dont have experience with WW, but MFP seems so much more realistic because you learn about calories/nutrition in food and therefore there shouldnt be a transition "off" when you get to goal weight/bf %.