Learning to make myself eat extra calories!

Hi guys,

So, this might be a seriously niche topic, but I'm struggling with forcing myself to eat my daily allotted calories. I'm trying to eat healthy, and as clean as possible, so I don't want to just go and binge on crap foods to make up for the deficit. I've also been a vegetarian for the past 6 years, so that definitely contributes to my lack of caloric intake. Also, my doctor recently had one of my medications changed to Adderall, which is absolutely KILLING my appetite. I couldn't binge on unhealthy foods even if I wanted to. I just reallyyyyy don't want to deal with a slowed metabolism. Can anyone offer any advice? I would appreciate it soooo much!!

Thank you!

Replies

• MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Nuts are high cal, maybe add a protein shake, greek yogurt, make sure you eat full fat of everything as it will be higher cals.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Eat regular mayo etc, nothing non-fat. Eat tb of real peanut butter, put olive oil, not olive spray, in your salad, try avocados, nuts.
  • susieoj
    susieoj Posts: 181
    Mmmm, a whole wheat bagel with cheddar cheese, ham and 2 eggs? That's high cal, good fiber and protein and not too much fat, I'd eat that if I could afford the calories. Or a peanut butter and banana sandwich on wonderful bread of any sort, or peanut butter and banana waffles? Mmmm peanut butter protein shake with ice to make it into a smoothie? Enough peanut butter will make it like icecream and really make those calories pile up, and add banana too
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    avocado and nuts are two easy ways to get a lot of healthy calories quickly.

If I have a big gap in my calories for the day, and I'm also low on fat, I take it as a sign that I'm meant to enjoy more cheese.
  • laurimaki
    laurimaki Posts: 47 Member
    I'm struggling with forcing myself to eat my daily allotted calories.

I wish I had the same problem.

41526192.png
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Use non-diet products. Try adding nuts, nut butters, avocados, hemp hearts (like 5Tbsp is over 300 calories). Don't shy away from using healthy oils to cook. Saute your veggies in olive oil or add full fat dressings to salads or use sauces.

If you're working out a lot you might consider scaling back a bit, not necessarily stopping, but cutting back until you can get at least your base calories in without adding more.
  • These are awesome ideas. I've just been so stuck in the "I can't eat that" mindset that now, with everything else, I'm ending up eating like 500-1000 calories a day. I've just started to add some cardio into my life as well, but the calories that I've been burning makes me nervous, because I know that I won't be able to eat them back.

This is also like such an alien feeling for me, because I struggled with binge eating issues for my whole life before now, so it's really weird to be on the opposite side.
  • Mmmm, a whole wheat bagel with cheddar cheese, ham and 2 eggs? That's high cal, good fiber and protein and not too much fat, I'd eat that if I could afford the calories. Or a peanut butter and banana sandwich on wonderful bread of any sort, or peanut butter and banana waffles? Mmmm peanut butter protein shake with ice to make it into a smoothie? Enough peanut butter will make it like icecream and really make those calories pile up, and add banana too

That peanut butter protein shake is such a good idea! That sounds sooooo yummy, and would be a great way to add in some of the protein I'm missing from my diet, too. Thank you so much!