Smelly guy at the gym

Options
Mummyadams
Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
Ok - so I go to the gym at 5.30am before work - it's a 24 hr gym and there are no staff there until 8.30am.

There is a young guy there that smells so bad of BO!! I can usually put my ear phones on and zone people out but the smell is so extreme that I cannot work out near him - which sux as we both weight train. It is seriously over powering and the area is not large enough for me to get away from it.

I know its not just me because I have seen many others sniff, search and avoid.

If it was me I would be fine about someone pulling me aside to whisper in my ear to re-iterate the use of deoderant but I'm not sure if I should approach him.

I'm no princess and I get that people sweat and all that - but this guy is just horrendous.

What would you do?

Replies

• bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    i would talk to staff and have them talk to him about his hygiene
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Ask him out on a date....make him your pretend boyfriend......then give him deodorant for a gift....then say, its not you its me,
  • MistieWalters
    Options
    Perhaps ask him nicely if he also smells an overly strong odor and if he knew where it was coming from? Play it off be like "It isn't me is it??" :) Thats what I do.
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    You can see how much I sweat from my profile picture. This is a very common occurrence for me too. I don't get how dudes forget to apply deodorant before they go.

I will speak in defense that is isn't only men. I've smelt some women who really should've washed up before coming to the gym too.

But whenever I am in the situation where someone has BO, I just try to keep my distance and avoid it.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I'd just wink and say, you know girls like it when you shower.
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    You can either grow a pair and tell him how you feel, or you can grow up and deal with it.
  • NormInv
    Options
    We had a guy at work at this investment consulting shop, and he smelled so bad it was impossible to smell so bad; then they put him and the prettiest woman at work in the same office. It was so excruciating to walk past their door every day.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    You can either grow a pair and tell him how you feel, or you can grow up and deal with it.
    Honey - your missing the point of this post.
  • NormInv
    Options
    Do you have $10 to spare? Make a T shirt that says, Say No to BO, or BO Kills puppies, or Four More Years of BO - End of US!

Then go and stand in front of him with heavy weights.
  • JustAGirl0916
    JustAGirl0916 Posts: 1,020
    Options
    Ewww lol...I don't know what I'd do haha but this made me laugh reading it lol
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Perhaps ask him nicely if he also smells an overly strong odor and if he knew where it was coming from? Play it off be like "It isn't me is it??" :) Thats what I do.

this. is. so. smart!
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    This could be a medical condition.
    Ppl can have surgery to remove their sweat glands actually.
  • NormInv
    Options
    This could be a medical condition.
    Ppl can have surgery to remove their sweat glands actually.

people with medical conditions need to avoid the gym babes
  • Scottmcteare
    Options
    Just tell him, hand him a spray bottle of deodorant and say "you sink" spray this on NOW!! smelly man.
  • koko12
    koko12 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    probably call when the staff is in and let them know. otherwise youre gonna have to tell him
  • knittingwitch
    knittingwitch Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    definitely talk to staff, why should you have to be the bad guy when other people are getting bothered as well, plus if he smells that bad and is touching all the weights he's probably not cleaning his hands or the equipment after and before using it. So really he is a health hazard.
  • knittingwitch
    knittingwitch Posts: 231 Member
    Options

What if his breath smell worse or he thinks she is kidding around with him as a way to flirt. :P
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Is this a budget-friendly gym, like a community centre or the YMCA? Maybe he doesn't have easy or regular access to laundry facilities, or even a shower. Happens.. (obviously he has the shower there, ok. but i'll bet he's wearing the same clothes all the time, something like that.)
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

That is actually a very diplomatic suggestion.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    ry5ntIe.jpg