Legs=Sore! help!

Options
Has anyone got any tips to help sore muscles, My Hamstrings are so bad I can hardly straighten them.

I would love a bath but we don't have one! Iv been putting on anti-flam (herbal relief cream like deep heat or tiger balm) and trying to stretch as much as possible but It doesn't seem to be helping

I also plan on working out tonight!

Ouch!

Replies

• koko12
    koko12 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    stretch, foam roller, stretch, stretch and stretch. massage them, tigers balm
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Foam roller? where do i get this?
  • koko12
    koko12 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    gyms usually have one. its just a big roll of foam and you roll your legs (awkwardly) on it. but it really helps. google, foam rolling for muscles
  • 2mnytries
    2mnytries Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Foam roller works the best but if you don't have one, even using a tennis ball or something similar (even an orange!!) will work.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    Foam roller works the best but if you don't have one, even using a tennis ball or something similar (even an orange!!) will work.

Off to the fruit shop i go!
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    gyms usually have one. its just a big roll of foam and you roll your legs (awkwardly) on it. but it really helps. google, foam rolling for muscles

Awesome i will give that a try tonight! thanks
  • andrea_wants_abs
    Options
    My boyfriend will use PVC pipe or broomsticks to help massage out different large sore muscles.
    You could also freeze waterbottles, wrap them in a towel and roll your legs over them.

Don't forget to stretch what you can! :) Hope you feel better!
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    My boyfriend will use PVC pipe or broomsticks to help massage out different large sore muscles.
    You could also freeze waterbottles, wrap them in a towel and roll your legs over them.

Don't forget to stretch what you can! :) Hope you feel better!

Water bottle is such a good idea! i will be freezing one to keep handy!
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I use a tennis ball....put pressure on it and massage in the sore areas in a circular motion. I've done that every time I get sore, and it seems to work pretty well (same concept as a roller)
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    I use a tennis ball....put pressure on it and massage in the sore areas in a circular motion. I've done that every time I get sore, and it seems to work pretty well (same concept as a roller)

I can see my boos walking in to my office wondering what the heck im doing!
  • JerroldAquino
    JerroldAquino Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to think about nutrition. Recovery from exercise requires good nutrition, specifically protein. Protein can help accelerate recovery time by providing muscles the nutrients they need to recover & grow from the stress placed upon them. Foods rich in potassium can also help if you have cramping as well: bananas, potatoes, cantaloupe, apricots, spinach & tomatoes to name a few. Poor diet or a diet insufficient in protein can prolong recovery time leading to longer periods of soreness/exhaustion.
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to think about nutrition. Recovery from exercise requires good nutrition, specifically protein. Protein can help accelerate recovery time by providing muscles the nutrients they need to recover & grow from the stress placed upon them. Foods rich in potassium can also help if you have cramping as well: bananas, potatoes, cantaloupe, apricots, spinach & tomatoes to name a few. Poor diet or a diet insufficient in protein can prolong recovery time leading to longer periods of soreness/exhaustion.

YEP this...be sure you have adequate protein and trace minerals in your diet all day (especially potassium, magnesium and sodium). Also I would highly encourage a pre-work out drink that has electrolytes and supplemented with BCAA, It will help reduce muscle fatigue. I use Fem Fire, which is specifically designed for women (but I add BCAA to it), but there are many on the market that are good with BCAA already in them. Just don't over do caffeine because it can actually cause MORE soreness due to the natural diuretic properties it has.

Also "a hair from the dog that bit you" applies here. Working the muscles LIGHTLY that you just might worked the day before can give you major relief from soreness. Just be super careful that you do not over do it. These light exercises are more stretches than working out. I often will just do a light set of everything in my circuit the day after my heavy lifting if I am really sore, followed by sauna and lots of water...

And then there is my favorite activity for soreness...SWIMMING...it is a miracle exercise. Burns serious calories, tones the body, and reduces muscle soreness and improves range of motion and mobility...it's ALL good.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options

I have protein shakes after i work out and i have a banana pre work out for fuel, There's no way im lacking in protein, Thanks though ill keep it in mind
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options

YEP this...be sure you have adequate protein and trace minerals in your diet all day (especially potassium, magnesium and sodium). Also I would highly encourage a pre-work out drink that has electrolytes and supplemented with BCAA, It will help reduce muscle fatigue. I use Fem Fire, which is specifically designed for women (but I add BCAA to it), but there are many on the market that are good with BCAA already in them. Just don't over do caffeine because it can actually cause MORE soreness due to the natural diuretic properties it has.

Also "a hair from the dog that bit you" applies here. Working the muscles LIGHTLY that you just might worked the day before can give you major relief from soreness. Just be super careful that you do not over do it. These light exercises are more stretches than working out. I often will just do a light set of everything in my circuit the day after my heavy lifting if I am really sore, followed by sauna and lots of water...

And then there is my favorite activity for soreness...SWIMMING...it is a miracle exercise. Burns serious calories, tones the body, and reduces muscle soreness and improves range of motion and mobility...it's ALL good.

I usually just do a light cadio work out if I'm sore from the day before and that seems to help but this time it didn't do much, I have actually been thinking about taking pre-work out drink or pill so ill look into that! thanks :flowerforyou:
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Yoga and a hot bath really help try a lil hair of the dog example if its from running walk if from weight lifting do squats without weight ect
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    POST-workout stretching, nutrition & BCAA's. Then foam/pipe rolling and massaging the next couple of days.

I swear by BCAA's.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    Yoga and a hot bath really help try a lil hair of the dog example if its from running walk if from weight lifting do squats without weight ect

Yeah i would love one but like i said i don't have one at home which sucks big time. I did do i light work out on tuesday after my monday sesh but had a rest day yesterday. back at the gym tonight though.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Options
    POST-workout stretching, nutrition & BCAA's. Then foam/pipe rolling and massaging the next couple of days.

I swear by BCAA's.

I must look into these BCAA's would i just get them from my usual supplement shop?