Im wondering if anyones stomach looks like mine

Options
i3xo3r.jpg

I want to know if anyone's stomach looks/looked like mine.
I am on day 6 of 30ds and I do a LOT of running as well as 15 minutes of random activity (sit-ups etc)
Anyway, is it realistic to assume I can get a flat tummy?
Im pretty healthy, I gained like 30lbs from birth control and have lost about 10 of it, im 23 and very healthy and active.
Let me know what you think as well as toning workout suggestions etc.

Replies

• ellaloveslove
    ellaloveslove Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    It's kind of hard to tell with that picture, you already look pretty good!
    What part are you worried about? Maybe put up a pic from the side?
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    2zh2iwl.jpg

Forgive the sunburn! I know what bit you mean, the little "w" shaped pooch at the bottom? I have that too. (Although my tummy doesn't look as good as yours!) Just keep on going and it will get better. I am still waiting for the day it flattens out, too.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Um... I think you already do have a flat stomach... What am I missing here?
  • Susannahbeanieg
    Options
    You both look like you have a normal, healthy, not fat, female tummy! If you want it to look like the magazines then you have to NOT eat..(how many models and famous people have admitted to their eating disorders?).or, be realistic and stop looking at magazine pictures!
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    You both look like you have a normal, healthy, not fat, female tummy! If you want it to look like the magazines then you have to NOT eat..(how many models and famous people have admitted to their eating disorders?).or, be realistic and stop looking at magazine pictures!

Thank you, but I'm trying to get some abs ;)
  • fitnessbearness
    fitnessbearness Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Well considering I have never been heavily over weight,or have kids, I don't get why my stomach has that apron on the bottom. I dont think Im overweight or have a large tummy, I just want to get rid of that bottom pooch.
    34ex7yq.jpg
    Maybe you can see it from the side better
  • snejkaxo
    snejkaxo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Yep it's that evil pouch that almost impossible to get rid of. I hate when people tell me that I don't have a stomach, because the pouch is clearly there! Well, this is what I can tell you from my experience:
    I do abs targeted exercises at least 3 times a week (both mid and low abdomen). I have clearly defined side lines and the packs. Yet I also have a pouch! It is not as noticeable as yours when I'm standing, but when I sit down, I can clearly see it, and it's annoying
    I read every article I could find on how to get rid of the pouch, and I keep switching exercises, but the pouch is there. What I gathered from multiple sources is that they only way to get rid of the pouch is to lose weight overall. So the other person who mentioned models in magazines is correct - you need to be really thin to get rid of that pouch, but then that kind of thin borderline with eating disorders. I think this is just part of female anatomy to have some extra cushion on the front.

My recommendation:

--Try targeted exercises. You can find tons of videos on Youtube. I think once you see more definition, you'll be happier. At least it will look really good standing up.
    --Try losing a bit more weight. You already look thin, so be careful not to get too obsessed.

I hope this helps. I am in exactly the same boat. Fighting!! :)
  • nataliesarazyn
    nataliesarazyn Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem ugh. Although mine is a lot more noticeable then yours. I just want to make it go away. :(
  • jessicadawn1978
    jessicadawn1978 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

My understanding is that the ab fat is the hardest area for a woman to shift because it's purpose is to help protect the reproductive organs.We are mammals after all, and this is a vunerable part of a woman's body, particularly when carrying a child, and we have nothing other than fat to protect it, whereas our other esssential organs such as the heart, lungs etc are all protected by the ribgage. So this is always the last place that a woman will lose fat as the body will try and hang onto it as long as possible. Dieting away the stomach fat for some women would mean a very low overall weight is needed, which may not be healthy or natural, so probably one to approach with care, in terms of diet.

Reducing fat in any one spot is really difficult from exercise alone, and stomach muscles will only become more defined as the fat on top of the muscles reduces, however exercises that require stability work the deep muscles and can help strengthen your tummy. So look for exercises like cable crunches, stability ball exercises, plank, rotating plank etc to work those deep core muscles, rather than knocking out 100's of sit ups.

That's my entirely unscientific thoughts anyway, I've still got quite a long way to go myself as well but working at it :-)
  • MrsDobbs2013
    Options
    I'm so glad I've stumbled across this, I thought I was the only one! I have a fair bit of weight to lose (ideally 20lbs), but even when I was super thin (size 6 gymnast) I still had this weird pooch!! I have already lost nearly 2 stone (it was more than that but put about 8lb on since I got married!!) I am low carbing and also doing 30 day shred but looking in the mirror and seeing that dint and crease gets me down so much, I've even considered looking into liposuction to get rid :( please tell me if anyone has ever found exercises that combat this area! X x x
  • gostumpy
    gostumpy Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Now being a man, you can ignore me if you like... But as far as I've heard, to get that "washboard abs" or "6pack stomach", it requires a LOT, and I mean A FREAKING LOT, of strength training. Just dieting won't bring out this hidden 6pack. I think that might be a common misconception. Women with nice abs quite often have a job that involves tons of lifting, or do a lot of workouts that involve abs.

Take this with a grain of salt, but it's my two cents :)
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Umm... you are comparing yourself to the anorexic models/actresses who have no body fat whatsoever. Your abdomen is normal with a normal amount of health fat. If you want to be like them you have to starve yourself or get a surgeon to suck it out.
    Well considering I have never been heavily over weight,or have kids, I don't get why my stomach has that apron on the bottom. I dont think Im overweight or have a large tummy, I just want to get rid of that bottom pooch.
    34ex7yq.jpg
    Maybe you can see it from the side better
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    hi hi:) Hoping I can help. I've always been petite but up til recently I still had that squishy bit around my hips and stomach. Now I don't have to flex in the least bit and my abs are hard. So it can be done! Like other people said, you can't spot reduce so keep working to lower your overall bf%. Take the time to educate yourself on ways to take your workouts to the next level, really challenge yourself. Also, take time to honestly assess what you're eating. Cutting out sugary items, fast food, and pop altogether (no cheat days!) made a substantial difference for me. Especially at a smaller size, that excess sugar and sodium shows up pretty quick.

Best of luck! Don't hesitate to give me a holla if there's anything I can do to further help :flowerforyou:
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    It doesn't help that the bottom line there on a woman's belly is so often airbrushed out in everything we see!

Flat stomachs are possible at reasonable BF% for women who have that body type. Others have to get down to ridiculous levels. Still others will have muscles that stick out themselves :)

I'll always have a little softness at the bottom middle (unless my BF% dips very low from illness or something), but most of my abs are visible at a reasonable BF%. I think the combo looks good enough! I'm happy with just working my core a whole lot. When I don't do work on it, I don't like the looks of it on me. I like ab work as a warmup, too, just because the moves work well for that for me.

Go on and target the core and see what you think. It can't hurt :)