So, is this healthy?

Options
So, lately I've been tracking how much I eat. I've been running and working out; I feel good and proud of myself. However, my fit recommends 1700 or so calories and I have only been eating 1000-1300. I haven't done it consciously, it just so happens at the end of the day it balances out around there. I really don't think I know what "hungry" feels like. I used to eat out of boredom an needless to say I was bored more often than not. So, not that I've been tracking what I put in my body, I eat less and make healthier choices. I'm not trying to eat 1000, like I said I eat when I feel hungry...or what I think is hunger. Is this okay? I don't want to hurt myself. I feel good. Also, I realized I tend to only eat two times a day. Sometimes 3 if you count Greek yogurt and some unsalted sunflower seeds. What do you think?

Replies

• melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    So, lately I've been tracking how much I eat. I've been running and working out; I feel good and proud of myself. However, my fit recommends 1700 or so calories and I have only been eating 1000-1300. I haven't done it consciously, it just so happens at the end of the day it balances out around there. I really don't think I know what "hungry" feels like. I used to eat out of boredom an needless to say I was bored more often than not. So, not that I've been tracking what I put in my body, I eat less and make healthier choices. I'm not trying to eat 1000, like I said I eat when I feel hungry...or what I think is hunger. Is this okay? I don't want to hurt myself. I feel good. Also, I realized I tend to only eat two times a day. Sometimes 3 if you count Greek yogurt and some unsalted sunflower seeds. What do you think?

it's just an indicative :) 1000-1300 is fine as long as you are getting the nutrition to perform everyday you are fine :)

Mine is 1590 and I barely hit or exceed that unless I am having a naughty weekend :)
  • jenslife82
    jenslife82 Posts: 229
    Options
    1000-1300 is a little low, it also depends on how much you weigh, how tall you are, if you're male or female. Is it net calories? It sounds like you feel good, listening to your body is definitely smart and feeding yourself with the right foods when you feel hungry. If it's after exercise that doesn't sound too bad to me, but I'm not an expert, just done this a few times lol. If you have concerns about recognizing hunger and how many calories you should be eating then asking your doctor would be good.
  • Gabrielm80
    Gabrielm80 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Yes be sure your meeting you nutricinal goels. And that doesn't mean get them all from a vitamin pills. Eat plenty of greens and than plenty of protien and carbs. That said under 1200 calories can cause a yoyo effect later when you do have a cheat day, week or month. Eating closer to you goal will in the long run allow you to not gain so much back. I know what your going through. If I eat whole food only I tend to barely make 1200. Become friends with beans and nuts. Makes it easier to reach that goal number, plus planning the day out ahead of time is also great. Good luck. Don't eat if your not hungry but rethink what you eat so your stomach stops getting full on too many 50 calorie or less items