New...anyone else dealing with foold allergies?

Options
New to the website and curious to see if anyone else is trying to loose weight why dealing with food allergies to the biggies: Gluten, Dairy and etc.

Replies

• belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I've been gluten free for 5 years. It's tricky to deal with food allergies, but you can lose weight while doing so! : ) Good luck!
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    New to the website and curious to see if anyone else is trying to loose weight why dealing with food allergies to the biggies: Gluten, Dairy and etc.

Look into Paleo, I don't eat dairy or anything with gluten in it ... just meat, fruit, veggies, nuts and beans ... that's pretty much it...
  • Weeblessings
    Weeblessings Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I've been gluten free for 5yrs, and dairy free for almost 3yrs, but found out my hormones were contributing to preventing my weight loss. Frustrated when I look at all these weight loss websites and the menu plans are all geared for regular people with no food allergies. And all my friends that are gluten free, are having the OPPOSITE problem, need to gain weight (if only), so it's frustrating not having people get the struggle.
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I've been gluten free for 5yrs, and dairy free for almost 3yrs, but found out my hormones were contributing to preventing my weight loss. Frustrated when I look at all these weight loss websites and the menu plans are all geared for regular people with no food allergies. And all my friends that are gluten free, are having the OPPOSITE problem, need to gain weight (if only), so it's frustrating not having people get the struggle.

My diary is open if you want to add me, you can see what I'm eating. It's generally a lot. :wink:
  • Weeblessings
    Options
    Thank you - Aida! We include some Paleo recipes and meals, but at this time my kids and I can't go totally Paleo yet. They would revolt against me with all the dietary changest I've forced on them this year. lol. Besides our meals being gluten and dairy free for 3-5yrs, are meals are also egg free for that length of time, we also follow the Feingold diet and do not allow HFCS. Eventually we'll have more Paleo meals then we don't. But thanks for the suggestion.
  • taylorxpaige
    taylorxpaige Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am 100% nut free, tree nut free, soy free, and egg free (95% of the time, only eat in baked goods). I am also usually dairy free, but have been experimenting the past few days with it and lets just say my stomach is not very happy.
  • Weeblessings
    Options
    Wow!! Girl what do you drink besides water? What do you cook with? We use almond milk and coconut milk as our dairy alternatives.
  • taylorxpaige
    taylorxpaige Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    The only thing I drink besides water is coffee. Luckily, my stomach is able to handle non-dairy creamers so I put that in my coffee. If I need a dairy alternative, I use Vance's Dari-Free. It is a fat-free, casien-free non-dairy milk alternative derived from potatoes. It sounds gross, but it works well. I do not eat it plain, but it tastes like the milk left over in a bowl of sugary cereal (from what I can remember). Usually though I do not cook with dairy. For butter, I use the soy free, dairy free smart balance. As for eggs, I use egg replacer when making baked goods. The worst allergy is soy by far. It's in absolutely everything, soy protein especially (salad dressings, broths, bbq sauces, breads, deli meats etc.). I can have soybean oil and soy lecithin though.
  • cals83
    cals83 Posts: 131
    Options
    I have been gluten free for a little over a year. There is a gluten free group that has some pretty good recipes come up from time to time if you are interested in joining.