Why Am I Not Losing?

Options

Replies

• rachelleigh4988
    rachelleigh4988 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Change your exercise routine. Body can adapt to routines if done long enough. Also consider HIIT training formats.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I found some HIIT training routines by doing a google search. Am I understanding them correctly in that they burn about as many calories as does a longer cardio workout? How would I log that in MFP? Thanks!
  • totalsham
    totalsham Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    ambicion6 - OMG, sugar is definitely my weakness! Good idea on switching to the stevia. I will try that. Any suggestions on protein rich foods besides meat? Also, I had wondered about the caloric intake goals, but I decided to stick with what MFP put me at. I may try upping it soon if cleaning up some things in my diet doesn't help.

the non-sugar replacements get converted into sugars in the body. best to go black if you want results.

As for the protein, I make a giant pot 2 times a week of vegan split pea soup, no salt, just carrots, onions and garlic. a serving of 1.5 cups of split pea soup has a ton of fiber (12g) and protein (11g). 1.5 to 3 cups a day helps in fiber/protein dept.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    yeah, if the last time you were <120 was 18, you're going to have a hard time get there again. sorry. your body changed in 7 years.

if you really want to drop the body fat percentage, i suggest doing a lot more strength training. trust me, it works. you seem partial to the work out videos though. any chance to hit the gym and start pick up some barbells and dumbbells?

I know, you may be right!

Unfortunately, joining a gym isn't really an option for me right now. But maybe I can increase my strength training at home with additional pushups, squats, etc and some more work with my hand weights.

This is kinda me - I'm trying to get to where I was 9 years ago - I know I'm not 19 anymore, that's why I have a range of 120-125. Only 6 more pounds til I get to 125. I also need to tone up, no gym membership either. I do Yoga to help with that.

High Protein though I use eggs, fish, and chicken, if you don't do much red meat. Seafood too!
  • rachelleigh4988
    Options
    yeah, if the last time you were <120 was 18, you're going to have a hard time get there again. sorry. your body changed in 7 years.

if you really want to drop the body fat percentage, i suggest doing a lot more strength training. trust me, it works. you seem partial to the work out videos though. any chance to hit the gym and start pick up some barbells and dumbbells?

Unfortunately, joining a gym isn't really an option for me right now. But maybe I can increase my strength training at home with additional pushups, squats, etc and some more work with my hand weights.

This is kinda me - I'm trying to get to where I was 9 years ago - I know I'm not 19 anymore, that's why I have a range of 120-125. Only 6 more pounds til I get to 125. I also need to tone up, no gym membership either. I do Yoga to help with that.

High Protein though I use eggs, fish, and chicken, if you don't do much red meat. Seafood too!

I may have to try yoga again. It's been a while since I tried it out. It was one of those things that several people told me I would love, but when I tried it and didn't like it, I was a bit let down.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Have you measurements changed? Could you be losing inches but not pounds due to swapping fat for muscle? Drink lots and lots of water too...maybe you are retaining fluid.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    People who say 5'6 and 115 is sickly.. Seriously?

That's a reasonable weight IMO, most girls on campus are around there.
  • Sp4artaf1t
    Sp4artaf1t Posts: 1
    Options
    Try to get help from IIFYM.COM website they have an amazing calculator. Stop following MFP diet and start following proper macro-nutrient track diet. Probably you starve yourself not getting enough food is not normal to loose initially only 5lb in 4 weeks. Anyways another good way to educate yourself search youtube for biolaynes vidolog and especially videlog number 9,12,15 and 16. It ll be very helpful to many of you.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

ballerina school??
  • FATJAKE5
    FATJAKE5 Posts: 162
    Options
    Ok everyone I need some advice.

I'm hitting a plateau in my weight loss journey. I am 5 ft 6 inches tall and I started out at 130lbs. I lost 5 lbs in the first 4-5 weeks that I was following my diet and exercise plan with MFT. Since then, I've been fluctuating between 124 and 125 for the past 3-4 weeks.

I'm getting so frustrated! I haven't changed anything with my eating or work out habits. I'm still working out 6 days a week doing Zumba, Tae Bo, and a couple of different Jillian Michaels' DVDs. My caloric goal is still the same, 1200 calories per day. (I do eat back nearly all my exercise calories)

I'm really not sure what to do at this point, it seems like 3-4 weeks is too long to be stalled out. Anyone have a similar experience or have any recommendations? I want so badly to get back down to 115.

Weight ;loss is 70-80% diet. So look there for your answer first. For the last 7 days, you averaged over 2800mg sodium/day.
  • mkyle1988
    mkyle1988 Posts: 19
    Options
    You look great. Don't get discouraged!! Like everyone else has said so far....your body is simply hitting a plateau in with your workout being primarily cardio based. Try incorporating some light weightlifting. Mix it up a litlle bit. Good luck!!

Be strong. Believe.
  • janinealfke
    janinealfke Posts: 93
    Options
    When we hit plateau's it's so annoying...it usually means we need to change things up...Increase your calories for a couple of days, because your body gets used to what you are doing, and it holds onto the fat cells for dear life...Also increase your water intake if you can. Water helps to metabolize our meals and helps us lose weight more effectively...and increase exercise as well....you have to fool your body into thinking it's going to get more food long term...so it will let go of the fat cells. Read that in a book years ago. I wish you well!!!
  • rachelleigh4988
    Options
    Try to get help from IIFYM.COM website they have an amazing calculator. Stop following MFP diet and start following proper macro-nutrient track diet. Probably you starve yourself not getting enough food is not normal to loose initially only 5lb in 4 weeks. Anyways another good way to educate yourself search youtube for biolaynes vidolog and especially videlog number 9,12,15 and 16. It ll be very helpful to many of you.

Wow that website has some high TDEE goals! It's also a bit intimidating with the recommendation that you eat exactly the amount of macro's recommended. ("In order to accomplish your physique changing goals, you should eat the exact amount of fat, carbs and protein listed in the IIFYM Macro Calculator.") I'm not sure if I can do that. Did it work well for you?
  • lauraleighsm
    lauraleighsm Posts: 167
    Options

ballerina school??

HAHAHAHA!

Maybe it's bc I'm 38 now, but these posts disturb me! I hope my nieces don't obsess about their perfectly healthy bodies like the OP. Get some weights, lift, and be proud of your body!
  • rachelleigh4988
    Options

ballerina school??

HAHAHAHA!

Maybe it's bc I'm 38 now, but these posts disturb me! I hope my nieces don't obsess about their perfectly healthy bodies like the OP. Get some weights, lift, and be proud of your body!

We're all just on here to be better versions of ourselves. For some people that may be 115 lbs for others it's 140 lbs. please don't judge others because their goals are different than yours.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

if the gym isn't an option, i would look into something like this.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

In my opinion, at your height and weight you are at now, i would try to step back from the "i must weigh a certain number" and work on body composition. back off the cardio a bit because that is killing your LBM. You want to preserve that.
  • mmmahre
    mmmahre Posts: 8
    Options
    You're not losing weight because you're 5'6 and 125 lbs. Your body is telling you "Enough with the dieting already."

You're weight is good - just start toning with weights. Toning will make all the difference.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I'm getting so frustrated! I haven't changed anything with my eating or work out habits. I'm still working out 6 days a week doing Zumba, Tae Bo, and a couple of different Jillian Michaels' DVDs. My caloric goal is still the same, 1200 calories per day. (I do eat back nearly all my exercise calories)

1200 calories per day - problem... yes... EAT MORE!

TDEE
  • haliebest
    haliebest Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Just by looking at the last week or so of your diary, it looks like you go way over on sugar every day. When I hit plateaus, I pay very close attention to my sodium and sugar intake. Try reducing the amount of sugar and see if this helps
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    bumping for some great websites!
  • SpazQ
    SpazQ Posts: 104
    Options
    I find it hard to believe that 1200 calories is enough for you at 5'6 and 125.

TDEE!

Cortisol.