Panini-style grilled chicken..no bread involved

Options
imagymrat
imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
1/2 bunch asparagus, I also made this with string beans and another with zucchini strips, both were fab! , because my daughter hates asparagus

4 oz of cheese, I used gorgonzola, cause a little goes a long way

4 skinless boneless chicken breasts

8 large fresh basil leaves

toothpicks

paprika and salt, if you choose to use it, I used Mrs. Dash.

Heat the BBQ to medium. Partially fill a frying pan with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Snap tough ends of asparagus or beans and discard. Boil until tender crisp, around 2 minutes. Drain. Dry with paper towels. Cut in half crosswise, if using the beans don't cut them.

Divide or thinly slice the cheese into 4 portions. Working with one chicken breast at a time, make a horizontal slit about 2.5 inches long and 1.5 inches deep into the thickest side of each breast. Gently open it up like a book and place 2 basil leaves ont he bottom. Top with 4 pieces of asparagus, then the cheese. Fold chicken over and fasten the edges with toothpicks. Sprinkle with paprika and salt.

To barbecue chicken, place on grill and cook, covered, 8-10 minutes per side. Or to cook on the stove use a large frying pan and set over medium heat, add chicken and cook until golden. 3 min per side. Reduce heat to med-low. cover and cook approximately another 8-10 minutes. remove toothpick....had this with grilled baby potatoes and a side salad! yummy!

Replies

• dfwtxmissy
    dfwtxmissy Posts: 102
    Options
    Okay...so not only should you write a book on the do's and don'ts of exercise and eating well, a cookbook would be awesome too.
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Okay...so not only should you write a book on the do's and don'ts of exercise and eating well, a cookbook would be awesome too.

lol..thank you! I'm always looking for easy great tasting dishes to serve to my ridiculously picky kids. This one is a favourite, I even made it bad! lol...I have a son trying to gain weight to go into the military, and we put bacon, a slice of ham and swiss cheese in his..it was so hard to not taste it...lol
  • onyxlibra7
    Options
    Bump! =)
  • Rhaeven
    Rhaeven Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    wow thanks for another great post!!! YUM, definitely going to have to try this with my kiddos!!!
  • pmaria10
    pmaria10 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cuppycake22
    Options
    Bump!
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    Tag! OMG, that sounds de-lish!!! :laugh:
    Thanks! :drinker: