Need help to find the right diet for PCOS

Options
To all My Fitness Pal ladies that suffer from PCOS, please help me! What kind of diet's do you follow to help with the PCOS? I am so confused and frustrated. I find that a lot of the information out there contradicts each other and I find it difficult to know what I should and shouldn't eat! I have been feeling so sluggish and stressed this past week. I exercise everyday for at least 20 minutes and I try to eat what I think is healthy, but lately I just feel so drained. Please help me!!!!!

Replies

• Jetta1492
    Jetta1492 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have read that a low glycemic diet helps with the PCOS, but I have not really tried that myself. You could google low GI and PCOS. There is tons of information about it. Also, if your diary were open, that might help you get more information. It is hard to give advice without really knowing what you are eating. If you are really sluggish, you may not be eating enough... Personally, over the past year, I have cut way down on the amount of highly processed foods that I eat and follow a low calorie diet. It has been a slow process with PCOS, but I have lost weight this way. Good luck:)
  • ClaudiaPritchett85
    Options
    Low GI is what I am trying to follow, but even with that, I have 2 books on it and they somewhat contradict each other and I am not sure which one to follow. And I'll be sure to make my diary viewable :)
    I am also trying to stay away from processed foods and going organic. I just recently started eating cereal again, Ezekiel, but now I am reading that I need to stay away from milk, even organic skim milk...
    My main problems are snacks and lunch. I need help finding snacks and easy lunches to make.
  • sophie_wr
    sophie_wr Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hello Claudia

you're supposed to have a diabetic diet....
    so yep not too much sugar etc... low GI stuff...
    how many cals do you eat daily ?

I've lost the first 20ish pounds easily just with 1500 cals/day and eating my exercise calories back, unfortunately it has become more and more difficult.... so I'll read any advices !!
  • Hollyhobby22
    Hollyhobby22 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    i have found that low sugar less white bread and more complex carbs as well as lots of veggies works for me
  • ClaudiaPritchett85
    Options
    Hi Sophie_wr,
    Sugars is what I find hard to stay under. I love fruit and usually eat a cup of strawberries with breakfast everyday and maybe an apple as a snack in the evening, but I find that even recipes from my Low GI Cookbook add to my total sugar intake quite a bit. I have a hard time finding low sugar items that I like. I'm a very picky eater. And my daily calorie intake was around 1300, but MFP has suggested only a little over 1200. But honestly most days I was around or under 1200 anyways, sometimes I'm just not hungry enough. And I do try to work out every day, but I try not to eat back the calories I burned, I thought that was the point of the calorie deficit? But I am new to this working out and eating correctly :/ Only been at it a month and a week now.

Hollyhobby22,
    I only have anything white on the weekend, and as a part of one meal, like pizza, but only once a week. Find it easier to stay eating healthy the rest of the time if I have a "free meal". And I definitely do eat complex carbs. I try to stay away from all prepared and processed foods. And as for veggies, I do like them, but only a few. Like I mentioned to Sophie_wr, I'm a very picky eater. I do like broccoli, green beans, spinach, carrots, asparagus...those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head. But I do love all fruit :)
  • kgoodman0108
    kgoodman0108 Posts: 158
    Options
    I have PCOS, and I've found that eating a low carb diet is what works for me. It is similar to a low glycemic or diabetic diet. I limit myself to around 50 carbs a day, and that is mostly coming from berries and vegetables. The biggest things to eliminate from your diet are all forms of grains. No bread, pasta, rice, etc. I also limit myself to vegetables that are lower carb, such as lettuce, spinach, celery, cucumber, green onion, broccoli and cauliflower. The only fruit I consume are berries (lower sugar and high fiber). No yogurt or milk.

Eating primarily fat and protein will help keep you full, and less likely to binge. :smile:

EDIT - While eating low carb, I also limit my calories. I try to stay under 1500 a day. So its really both a low carb and low calorie diet.
  • SpazQ
    SpazQ Posts: 104
    Options
    Lyle McDonald (bodyrecomposition.com) says that a low carb diet (between 75 and 150 grams) with higher fat has shown to be best for PCOS. This also means avoiding processed carbs which does include bread etc.

Personally, to keep thyroid levels healthy, I stagger carbs depending on my workouts.
  • Jetta1492
    Jetta1492 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi Sophie_wr,
    Sugars is what I find hard to stay under. I love fruit and usually eat a cup of strawberries with breakfast everyday and maybe an apple as a snack in the evening, but I find that even recipes from my Low GI Cookbook add to my total sugar intake quite a bit. I have a hard time finding low sugar items that I like. I'm a very picky eater. And my daily calorie intake was around 1300, but MFP has suggested only a little over 1200. But honestly most days I was around or under 1200 anyways, sometimes I'm just not hungry enough. And I do try to work out every day, but I try not to eat back the calories I burned, I thought that was the point of the calorie deficit? But I am new to this working out and eating correctly :/ Only been at it a month and a week now.

Claudia, Your diary looks great:) I would just suggest to keep doing what you are doing. It is difficult with PCOS, but eventually, if you stay consistent, you will see the results that you want:) Personally, I do not eat all of my exercise calories back. I exercise 6-7 days a week, at a moderate to intense level. I do not always record my exercise in my diary. I have found that when I eat back all of my exercise calories, I do not lose weight. I think it is because I have become so accustomed to the exercise classes (I used to be a group fitness instructor) that I do not burn the amount that it says on here...
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and lost in excess of 180 pounds. I eat high protein, high fat diet...my carbs are moderate (average is prolly 100-110 grams of carbs) Most of the weight Ive lost with lots of cardio and 1-2 resistance sessions a week. Its a bit different now im close to goal and so i am still trying to figure that out but thats what worked for most of my loss. Feel free to add me if you want to see my diary :)