Bariatric surgery or lose weight without it?

Options
gracekelli
gracekelli Posts: 26 Member
I started on the path to getting bariatric surgery accidentally...I had a friend who asked me to accompany her to an information session. The whole time I kept thinking "If you eat the way these people do, you would lose weight WITHOUT the surgery." I've continued in the process, seen the surgeon, been evaluated, had abdominal ultrasound, upper GI, psych consult, labs, x rays, EGD, EKG...and the surgery has been approved. I barely made the BMI requirement but my insurance has approved the gastric sleeve. The thing is, I don't really want to do it.
So, I have buddied up with a work friend and decided I will eat the way the bariatric diet people do...without having 75% of my stomach removed.

Replies

• brittanygibson1426
    brittanygibson1426 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that is having her surgery on June 11th and I said the same thing! the surgery is a quick fix and she would lose weight if she followed the plan anyways! Doesnt seem worth it to me to be sick more times than not after eating something! I completley agree with you im not going to let her get skinny and me still be fat but im doing it the natural way!
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    You don't even have to go to those extremes! Just eat at a moderate calorie deficit and the weight will come off. And in a more pleasant and healthy way than eating tiny amounts (making an assumption here, you may not be!) :bigsmile:

Either way, congratulations on giving weight loss a go without the surgery! I think a lot of people don't realise it is only a tool to help you and not a magic cure! :flowerforyou:
  • jeb623
    jeb623 Posts: 1
    Options
    Bariatric surgery comes with big risks; it's one of the riskiest operations going. Both my older sister and my aunt had the surgery, and successfully lost weight without any dire consequences; my sister regained almost all of her weight.. Alarmingly, though, my sister's current doctor can find no evidence, not even scar tissue, that she ever had gastric bypass surgery - he thought her medical charts were wrong! It seems that her stomach had essentially "come undone" and healed itself. It could very well have ended her life. That's one of the biggest problems I see with it. I know two people who have died from complications very similar to my sister's.
    Another problem I see with a surgical fix is that there's only one way to gain weight (outside of a few rare genetic conditions), and that is to consume more than you use. Unless you can identify the reasons you chose to do that, and know that you are in control of those things, how would you know you wouldn't put yourself at risk following surgery by eating more than you should, or buy eating in a way that creates malnourishment? If I'm not feeling up to making the right nutritional choices, it's just as easy to fill up on ice cream as on cauliflower.
    I'm 47, 5'4' and stay between 250-260 pounds. I'm also recently diagnosed with type II diabetes which runs in my family. My aunht and my sister both share that bloodline, and neither of them have developed diabetes. Diabetes is the only thing which would make me consider surgery. For as yet undetermined reasons, gastric bypass seems to "heal" diabetes. Scientists aren't sure whether it's a rebalance of gut microbes following the surgery, or if it's related to the extreme diet followed after surgery. Except for diabetes, my health is good, and I've always been physically active.
    Yeah, there's probably something in my metabolism or genes that makes it easier for me to gain weight than it is for some others, but the reason for my weight is my behavior. Unless I had comorbidities which threatened my life, I can't see considering surgery - to me it almost feels like cheating. I want to be proud of myself for making the right choices and doing what's best for me, I think I NEED that, and I think surgery would take that away.
    Just my opinion, but I think you're on the right track. There's a Japanese doctor who has had some success (very small study, only 11 people) controlling diabetes and wieght loss with an extreme crash diet which lowers fatty deposits in the liver and pancreas. I think that's where I'm going as soon as I can find a doctor willing to supervise me. I'm not foolhardy, and diabetes makes extreme dietary changes a little riskier.
    Best of luck!
  • shawnamajor1
    shawnamajor1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I had gone through all the tests and approvals for a Gastric Bypass, I even had a surgery date, but I opted out for a few reasons so now I'm on the same path, trying to lose the weight without the surgery. Good luck on your journey!
  • gracekelli
    Options
    I agree. I don't actually have any of the co-morbidities...although I do use a C-Pap at night. I work in the hospital where the bariatric surgeons operate and the patients stay after the procedure. It's a regular community hospital. I see all of the patients who come back in with uncontrolled nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, pouch leaks, gastric and esophogeal ulcers...etc. We have had two patients that had bariatric surgery in Mexico expire. The gastric bypass (roux n y) seems to have more negatives than the gastric sleeve, but I still think I can do it without the surgery. At least I hope I can. My thyroid is perenially screwed up and it seems like I never lose any weight, but I am going to keep at it and hope for the best. If I had diabetes, I might be more apt to go through with the surgery....but I don't. So...I'm listening to my little voice inside telling me that the surgery is not what is right for me.
  • medicvaldez
    medicvaldez Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I had the lap band and failed it because i learned to eat through it...i also have 10 friends that have had bypass, sleeve, lap band etc that have all failed it...now...i F***ing regret EVER doing it...I feel like a bigger failure knowing I had this "quick fix" and I still screwed it up...heres my point...if you have the feeling that you don't want to do it then DONT!!! What the hell are you thinking?? your gut is telling you not to do it..i wish I had listened to myself when i felt the doubt but you know what...I get it now, the reason i felt that way was because now I stopped lying to myself and faced reality...I HAVE NEVER ACTUALLY TRIED TO LOSE THE WEIGHT ON MY OWN!!! sure I "tried everything", but did i really? The answer is no, i let myself give up and eat crap again, quit the gym 90 times, and called a really cute outfit and matching towel a work-out because walking into the gym ment I worked the hell out of myself.
    truth is, eating right and kicking my *kitten* at the gym to the point where i'm sore for three days after feels like more of a success to me now because i'm doing it right...even though I have 69 lbs to go!!! I'm proud that I can honestly say my lap-band has been deflated and feels like I never had it put in and I lost my first MFP pound this week....I've been working on it forever but when i started using MFP to track myself, I had no idea i was actually about to learn the best lessons of my life.
  • medicvaldez
    medicvaldez Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    @Jeb...I'm diabetic, got myself off of insulin with diet and excercise...PLEASE research Bitter Melon, cinnamon, Banaba leaf, and Colius forskholin.....combined, they honestly changed my diabetic life.
  • gurlygirlrcr80
    gurlygirlrcr80 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Had gastric bypass, best decision I ever made. I look and feel better than I have since I was in my early 20's. I have had no complications and I bust my butt every day working out and focus on eating right. It is a tool to help u lose weight. Is hiring a personal trainer cheating? Is hiring a nutritionist cheating? Is working out in the gym 2 hours a day 5 - 6 times a week the easy way out? If so then call me a lazy cheater. The surgery helps u not feel hungry and make better decisions and focus on ur health. 50% of the people with weight loss surgery are successful and that's in comparison to 20% of those who lose weight without surgery. (This is from my surgeons paperwork he gave me). So it's all in what u make it but it is hard work and it's not a quick fix or magic. Be prepared to work just as hard as u would without it. If u aren't willing to do the work then don't waste ur time.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: I have had the sleeve and am doing FABULOUS. I see a therapist and am working through my food issues so that this surgery will be a lifelong success.

That being said, if you have reservations about it and feel you can do it on your own, then for sure that's what you should do.

HOWEVER, when you talk about "eating like you had the surgery", gee, don't you think people who have had to resort to surgery have tried that and failed? 90% of people who have had WLS have tried everything under the sun and are having surgery in a last ditch effort to save their own lives. Not very many people have 75-85% of their stomach removed on a whim. Nobody in their right mind has their guts rearranged and risks malabsorptive (sp?) issues, which are very unpleasant.

I applaud people who can do it without surgery, I do, but please don't think people who have had surgery haven't tried it all.
  • gracekelli
    Options
    I am so happy for the folks that have bariatric surgery and don't have complications. I don't think surgery is a "quick fix" at all. I see what people go through...to say nothing of the heroic people I have met in the classes and support groups.
    That being said I have also seen SO many people who were either not ready or are too unbalanced to have this surgery be cleared by psych for surgery. It's true nobody in their "right mind" would opt for this procedure without serious consideration, but let me tell you, I see people who are not in their right mind having bariatric procedures. I haven't ruled out the sleeve...I just want to see what will happen trying it on my own. Plus, I'm not gonna lie...I need at least a half cup of coffee most mornings and at least one diet dr pepper a day. I quit smoking over a year ago...I should be able to quit eating crap too.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow Arizonan :flowerforyou:
    Set your mind to it, stick within your calorie (etc) range and weigh, measure & log everything.
    It IS doable to lose the weight on your own.
  • Phriezia123
    Phriezia123 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic, type II. Was diagnosed about 5 years ago. Was controlling it with medication, but now I am on insulin 4 times a day and STILL have high glucose levels. Could you give me more details about the herbs you described as changing your diabetic life? I am SOOO scared. I have been on MFP for 2 months....gained 4 pounds. I am overwhelmed with counting carbs, calories, glucose levels and insulin injections. Any insight you have would be greatly appreciated. I am 5'2" and weigh 245.
  • losingit413
    losingit413 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My husbands friend just had the gastric sleeve. He ended up having major complications. He got a major infection and also had part of the suture where they removed part of the stomach rupture. He had to have at least 2 extra surgeries. He has been out of work for four months and will be out at least 3 more. I think diet and exercise is the way to go. Also, because our insurance wouldn't cover his surgery and it was an elective surgery they won't pay for any of the medical care for the complications.
  • carolemorden9
    carolemorden9 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    @Jeb...I'm diabetic, got myself off of insulin with diet and excercise...PLEASE research Bitter Melon, cinnamon, Banaba leaf, and Colius forskholin.....combined, they honestly changed my diabetic life.

I also have type 2 diabetes, and I'm well on my way to getting off insulin with losing weight, diet, and exercise. You don't need to go to extreme surgical measures to get diabetes under control or into "remission". You just have to work at it. Took me quite a few years to figure this one out.
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Def Listen to the 'voice inside you'!! Before mfp i was 234#'s (at 5'4") and i almost went for gastric sleeve or band..
    but didnt.. I joined mfp and lost 41 pounds in 4mo! a friend of mine (same height as me) and weighed 280 got gastric sleeve AND band.. and lost wt SLOWER then me... and is still at only 40 #'s wt loss (same as me/non surgical) and her dang stomach is CUT IN HALF WITH A BAND around IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! :indifferent:
    and she had NO INSURANCE and spent 14 grand on this surgery!! yes.. cash..
    and she is just like :grumble: you lost faster then me.. where im at basically NON surgery.. im like yep!
    and I workout all the time and she never does.. super lazy and didnt change her eating.. besides maybe less.. but now she tells me 9mo after surgery that she can eat a whole hour grazing if she wants.. and she hasnt lost wt in months..!
    and this is GASTRIC SLEEVE AND BAND...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Biggest issues I've seen with people who go the surgery route is that the actual issue of why they over eat usually isn't solved. It's not uncommon for a person who addictively eats to change that addiction to something else. Alcohol, gambling, etc.
    I say try to address the issue of why one is overeating. Is it emotional? Mental?
    Good luck.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • carolemorden9
    carolemorden9 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic, type II. Was diagnosed about 5 years ago. Was controlling it with medication, but now I am on insulin 4 times a day and STILL have high glucose levels. Could you give me more details about the herbs you described as changing your diabetic life? I am SOOO scared. I have been on MFP for 2 months....gained 4 pounds. I am overwhelmed with counting carbs, calories, glucose levels and insulin injections. Any insight you have would be greatly appreciated. I am 5'2" and weigh 245.

Check out the "Type 2 Diabetes Support Group". It's awesome! Lots of people there to help answer questions.
  • gracekelli
    Options
    holy cow...that poor girl. I see people all the time who "eat thru" their restriction. Then they really feel like failures. I am really trying to do this right...to be honest I never really committed to lose weight before. So...now I'm committed...and thankful for the support. Thank you!
  • janebshaw
    janebshaw Posts: 168
    Options
    Please don't have the surgery! I know people that did, and they had digestive problems and other complications from the surgery for the rest of their lives!
  • dreambodin2011
    dreambodin2011 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I met a woman who had hypnotherapy to BELIEVE she had had the surger.... and she lost oodles of weight.

I've also met a bunch of women who've had the surgery and have said "if you don't fix what's going on in the head first, you ain't fixing anything". Many of those women put the weight back on again....one had her operation reversed (unsure what she had done exactly).

I think you are a wise woman. Go the healthy diet!!