Protein Shakes as Meal Replacements?

Options
Is it okay to use protein shakes as a meal replaement?

I was thinking about drinking a protein shake for breakfast, a healthy snack (something like veggies, and hummus, a healthy lunch (something like salad, with veggies, some friuts, chicken breast. etc), a healthy snack , (fruits or a whole grain) and then a protein shake for dinner. Is that something that is okay to do?

Also what is the differenece between a protein shake and a meal replacement shake?

I want to hear what you guys have to say about this!!
Thanks!

Replies

• craziecritter
    craziecritter Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Me personally wouldn't do it more than once a day if it's a protein shake. The dietitian told me to drink one in the morning. Than eat a good lunch and dinner. I have to eat 30g protein 3x a day and 10g for lunch. And every time I eat a protein I have to have a fruit. Just make sure you are getting in all of your protein, veggies and fruit. Don't starve yourself or you will go no where! I have had several protein shakes and to tell you the truth, I would rather eat the fruit, yogurt and put the whey in my 2%milk!! I guess it's a bulk thing!
  • Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    As long as your body is getting calories in the right number and the shake fits into your macros you will be okay. Most people have a problem with it because it is kind of the lazy way around. Also, going for the shakes instead of real food stuffs exposes you t the potential for micro-nutrient deficiencies which, while not as important to progress, are crucial to overall health and wellness.

As far as I understand them MR shakes tend to have more vitamins and other stuff added to them than would a couple scoops of whey isolate in water or milk.

As long as the rest of your diet is pretty healthy and diverse you should not be at much of a risk of real deficiency.

I think you'll find though that this plan is going to be tough to stick with because the shakes tend to digest quickly and will lead to less satiation.

I occasionally use a protein shake as a snack or don't always get it in right after I get home from the gym because life happens. I don't find myself feeling satisfied or even less hungry after finishing the shake despite having taken in as much as 500 calories.
  • celia4711
    celia4711 Posts: 15
    Options
    Why would you eat processed food, no matter how much protein it has, when you can eat clean, wholesome and fresh food?

Good god. Don't be lazy and treat your body with some respect!