How easy is it for an already slim girl to lose weight?

Options
So I'm 5'9 and 56 kg. (123 pounds) I want to get down to 53 kg by end of June. Is this possible?
How can I go about this? I feel like I've hit this plateau and I just fluctuate between 55-56 kg. I reeeally want to push through and lose the remaining fat around my butt and thighs for the summer!
I hear it's harder for already slim girls to lose even more weight? I just don't want to starve :( I feel like no matter how hard I work out, I'm still at this plateau...

Replies

• katmariew
    katmariew Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't want to lose any more weight. It's fighting against you. You are striving for an anorexic BMI, in case you didn't realise this.

1) it is possible -- but ill advised
    2) you shouldn't go about this - starving would do it, but then I'd suggest professional help from a doctor
    3) it's hard for slim girls to lose more weight because they have no business losing more weight!

Please be kind to yourself...
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Don't lose anymore weight. If you are unhappy with your body, reshape it through weight lifting and eat at maintenance.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    You are already underweight and now you are trying to be severely underweight? You need to see a doctor about that for at least one referral. If you keep going the way you are going you will have an eating disorder if you don't already have one. What you are doing can lead to a lot of problems, including death.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't want to lose any more weight. It's fighting against you. You are striving for an anorexic BMI, in case you didn't realise this.

1) it is possible -- but ill advised
    2) you shouldn't go about this - starving would do it, but then I'd suggest professional help from a doctor
    3) it's hard for slim girls to lose more weight because they have no business losing more weight!

Please be kind to yourself...

this
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Apparently didn't like the answers from her first thread and is now fishing for opinions to help justify want she thinks she should do.:frown:

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Apparently didn't like the answers from her first thread and is now fishing for opinions to help justify want she thinks she should do.:frown:

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I wouldn't like it either if someone told me I was killing myself. But, I was. Only I was going the other way.
  • katmariew
    katmariew Posts: 87 Member
    Options
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    You may not like this advice, but please consider it. You're already at a great, slim weight. In order to avoid health issues AND tone up your body consider weight lifting. It's literally the fountain of youth. Instead of losing weight you could focus on shifting body composition. The way that people lean up at a healthy weight is to lose fat while (very important) gaining muscle with heavy lifting and yes, eating above maintenance calories. So not only do these people get sleek definition everywhere but they get to eat more to preserve their figures. Muscle weighs more than fat but takes up only a third of the space, and as a woman you are very unlikely to get bulky at all. Although your weight will likely go up as you lift, you will look leaner all over and avoid many of the health issues such as weakness, fatigue, and plateaus that occur when people start to go below a healthy weight.
  • celia4711
    celia4711 Posts: 15
    Options
    Yes.
    If you keep your head screwed on tight and your plate full of clean foods.
    No starving involved. So what if you forgo that cookie, or that icecream. Its called self-control.

And really? Anorexic isnt a BMI. Its a mental state.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Don't lose anymore weight. If you are unhappy with your body, reshape it through weight lifting and eat at maintenance.

This x 100. start weight lifting to change your physique
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Strength training will get you the results you want. And you can eat more. ... Isn't that awesome?
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    No starving involved. So what if you forgo that cookie, or that icecream. Its called self-control.

Just an FYI to anyone that DOES read this.
    BMI IS a consideration for a diagnosis of Anorexia Nervosa.
    Anorexia (shortening it) is considered if the individual can not maintain weight out of 85% of what is expected (and if a girl has missed a succession of period cycles). This is usually done by BMI.

yes it is a mental state...but weight is definitely considered. I'm not saying op is anywhere near that, but weight is something you should consider.
  • shuckerlove
    shuckerlove Posts: 19
    Options
    If you get any lighter you will literally be considered anorexic and unhealthy. Have you even googled what the healthy weight is for a woman your age and height? It is extremely unhealthy to starve your body and to be under that target weight range. I can guarantee that you are seeing something that isn't there. You may just need to tighten up in those areas. Try doing the 30 day squat challenge or set up a body-weight training program for yourself. BUT you need to EAT to gain muscle to tighten those areas. DO NOT starve yourself!! You should be determined to be healthier NOT skinnier. Use myfitnesspal and set it to maintain weight but do some strength training along with cardio. Why women do not do weight training is beyond me... we are not physically built to gain muscle like men without extreme training and supplements. Do not worry about losing more weight or being bulky from weight training. Join yoga, heck join pilates! Do anything but cut calories and EAT WOMEN EAT. Healthy is beautiful. Strong is the new skinny. Good luck, you will do great!!! <3
  • KnowHowFitness
    Options
    its ok to want to make a change.. but something to think about: you can weigh 130 pounds and look more lean than you already are.. just try it once
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Yes.

I'm gonna scream the next time a person suggests 'clean' foods. Unless you're growing/raising your own food, your food has gone through SOME form of processing. That's life in our century. FOOD IS NOT THE ENEMY. Excess is.

She is clearly at a healthy weight. What she really needs is toning up, as per the suggestions prior to this. Eat MORE lifting, gain muscle and you'll most likely achieve the look you're looking for.

On a side note though: work on your self image. What has you wanting to be so ultra thin? I'm sure you're beautiful and have no reason to feel this way.
  • shuckerlove
    Options
    I truly hope that reading all of these wonderful comments will make you realize that we are all right and trying to help!! I rarely write on this forum, but I felt compelled to tell you that you are going to make yourself very sick and unhealthy.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    If you get any lighter you will literally be considered anorexic and unhealthy. Have you even googled what the healthy weight is for a woman your age and height? It is extremely unhealthy to starve your body and to be under that target weight range. I can guarantee that you are seeing something that isn't there. You may just need to tighten up in those areas. Try doing the 30 day squat challenge or set up a body-weight training program for yourself. BUT you need to EAT to gain muscle to tighten those areas. DO NOT starve yourself!! You should be determined to be healthier NOT skinnier. Use myfitnesspal and set it to maintain weight but do some strength training along with cardio. Why women do not do weight training is beyond me... we are not physically built to gain muscle like men without extreme training and supplements. Do not worry about losing more weight or being bulky from weight training. Join yoga, heck join pilates! Do anything but cut calories and EAT WOMEN EAT. Healthy is beautiful. Strong is the new skinny. Good luck, you will do great!!! <3

COULD NOT agree more!
  • shuckerlove
    Options
    I was about to write the same to yourself! haha I love everyone for being so helpful here.
  • shuckerlove
    Options

COULD NOT agree more!

I was about to write the same to yourself! haha I love everyone for being so helpful here.
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    So I'm 5'9 and 56 kg. (123 pounds) I want to get down to 53 kg by end of June. Is this possible?
    How can I go about this? I feel like I've hit this plateau and I just fluctuate between 55-56 kg. I reeeally want to push through and lose the remaining fat around my butt and thighs for the summer!
    I hear it's harder for already slim girls to lose even more weight? I just don't want to starve :( I feel like no matter how hard I work out, I'm still at this plateau...

123 pounds is really little babe especially at 5"9. I am 69 @ 6ft and that is considered just average. It sounds like you carry most of your weight on the lower haldf of your body yes? Therefore I would suggest weight training, more protein and reduce the cardio.

Hope this helps :)