Getting back on track after a major set back

Options
Hi everyone,

So recently, about 2 months ago, I started exercising and dieting a lot because during my senior year of high school, I gained so much weight from stress and late night eating due to academics, college apps, etc. I finally got my weight down. At 5'9, I weighed 55 kg (121 lbs).
A few weeks ago, after I found out how much weight I lost, I got overexcited and had a major set back. I started binge eating like crazy and I completeley let myself go :(. Within about 2-3 weeks, I gained up to 2 kg. I now weight about 57 kg (125-126 lbs)!!! I really need to get back on track. I am absolutely horrified. I know this might already be thin for many of you, but I prefer a more lean look.
Will it be easy to get back to my weight of 55 kg? I want to be 53 kg by mid-June and I'm wondering if this is possible? HOW do I get back on track? I'm so accustomed to eating so freely that going back to my strict regime of dieting and exercise almost haunts me.
But I am determined!!!!

Replies

• Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Hang in there and don't lose perspective. You're talking about an interim goal of 2kg and a total of about 4-5kg. Even on the high end you're looking at what? 11lbs?
    This is certainly not insurmountable but YES you will need to actually start paying attention to what you eat and keeping it within reason.
    You can eat a bit more if you're exercising but as you've already learned too much of anything can be bad. Exercise a little self control and keep your head on your shoulders and you'll be fine.

Just to add a little perspective for you, my weight fluctuates by about 1kg throughout the day, sometimes 2.

Just stick with it and learn from past mistakes so that you don't do it again and undo all the work you'll be putting in.
  • john0804
    john0804 Posts: 31
    Options
    4lbs is not the end of the world as the other person said your weight will fluctuate, hell I went from 207 to 210 back to 207 in a week because I over indulged. It's not a major setback, it's barely a speed bump. Good luck
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    NO ONE is going to help you achieve an unhealthy goal. You're already underweight. Get help.
  • peopletalk
    peopletalk Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    5'9 and 121? :noway:
  • amandaanderson2786
    amandaanderson2786 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    i think she may be trolling...
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Not again.. this is like your third thread tonight. :grumble:

Jump-Out-Window.gif
  • nika_bolinhos
    Options
    Oh dear,
    You are already at the very edge of a healthy weight, if you are looking for a more lean look get some strength exercise going on, but don't loose more weight. Besides, if you have more muscles it is usually easier to keep your figure without weight fluctuations. But for that you'll need to eat enough to get fuel for those muscles, otherwise it won't work. I have see you have started a few threads here rephrasing this same topic, I don't think you'll get support to get yourself sick. If you decide to move on with this at least seek professional help to make sure you are not going overboard with things in the process.
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    i think she may be trolling...

yup :-)
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Your third post...do you think we're stupid?????
    :noway:
  • 122ish
    122ish Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Girl u r already the size of a model and we all know they do unhealthy things to be that way, so if u r under eating to lose or stay that way of course u r going to constantly want to binge. And the minuite u do your body is going to hang on to all of it because it is starving. Seriously though talk to someone about this before u hurt yourself

Being too thin you are more prone to colds and flus
    You r likely to have anemia which means dizziness, shortness of breath, headaches etc
    U also are more likely to have brittle bones from lack of estrogen
    And so much more

I will stop there because I don't think anything anyone has said is getting through to u. U keep posting looking for others to agree with what u r doing and won't accept any answer other than what u want to hear
  • lovelylela415
    lovelylela415 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    thank you for this post, as it helps me see how grateful i am that i made a choice to be healthy instead of indulging any sort of eating disorder.

You won't get help until you want to get help, I just hope you don't die first from malnutrition.

Life is MUCH better as a healthy person. But there's nothing any of us can say to make it happen for you.

At this point it's more about what we don't say. Let's stop replying to her.
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    thank you for this post, as it helps me see how grateful i am that i made a choice to be healthy instead of indulging any sort of eating disorder.

You won't get help until you want to get help, I just hope you don't die first from malnutrition.

Life is MUCH better as a healthy person. But there's nothing any of us can say to make it happen for you.

actually....I dont think she is bothering to read anyway...she is trolling!!
  • lsj77
    lsj77 Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I posted this on my two other posts, but I will post it here again to address everyone who wrote back on my topic(s).

Wow, in the span of 12 hours, I don't think I've seen so much online internet activity centered around me. I want to, first of all, express my gratitude that there is an online community that is supportive and caring. On the other hand, however, I want to address some of the people posting really mean and negative things. I understand that this is a community for people trying to lose weight, people who have struggled with obesity, being overweight, etc. I think that's amazing how people can feel so comfortable with strangers via internet to talk about these kinds of things and kudos to you all.
    So, that being said, I want to address that first of all, I DO NOT have an eating disorder. I am a naturally thing girl. I'm East Asian, and genetics have been on my side to just have a higher metabolism and smaller frame. Also remember that I am only 18 years old, too! I eat a lot! If you read my other posts, I strictly emphasized that i do not want to starve! I am constantly snacking on healthy food while indulging in some heavy foods on occasion. I definitely eat a lot! I'm Korean and so I'm always eating rice, kimchi, etc... All that good stuff! Please, PLEASE do not worry.
    Secondly, I am not trying to lose drastic weight. A lot of you are saying horrific things that I could DIE. I am already 56 kg. All I'm asking to do is slim up and lose only 3 more kilos and maintain that weight to have a more slim look. We all have different perceptions of what looks good on our own bodies, thus we strive for different things
    Thirdly, I mentioned how incredible this online community can be. Like I said, it's great people can be so open and talk about their achievements and goals on this forum. I just hope you all would carry that same mentality when writing to people who tend to be on the slimmer, fit side. You can't be so quick to judge people immediately and start writing such malicious things. I appreciate your concern but in NO WAY do I have some sort of image issue.
    Lastly, I love my body, absolutely! And I am seeking to be the best possible version of myself! I eat well, train hard, and am very happy! During my senior year of high school, I was so emotionally and physically drained from such strenuous school work. I was taking such bad care of myself that once Spring came around, I was determined to make myself better again. I wanted to feel energetic, motivated, and lively. And that's what I did! And that is what I will continue to do I hope you will all come to realize my situation and support me in my continuous journey of health. If there is anything else you would like to know, ask, whatever, feel free to message me. I will be happy to address you personally there.
    Thank you all.

P.S. For the record, this is a picture of me. I want to prove to you guys that I am not on the verge of "breaking" nor am I looking like a "cancer patient"....

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/581756_10152861038345543_2054326911_n.jpg
  • tjthegreatone
    tjthegreatone Posts: 324
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I posted this on my two other posts, but I will post it here again to address everyone who wrote back on my topic(s).

Wow, in the span of 12 hours, I don't think I've seen so much online internet activity centered around me. I want to, first of all, express my gratitude that there is an online community that is supportive and caring. On the other hand, however, I want to address some of the people posting really mean and negative things. I understand that this is a community for people trying to lose weight, people who have struggled with obesity, being overweight, etc. I think that's amazing how people can feel so comfortable with strangers via internet to talk about these kinds of things and kudos to you all.
    So, that being said, I want to address that first of all, I DO NOT have an eating disorder. I am a naturally thing girl. I'm East Asian, and genetics have been on my side to just have a higher metabolism and smaller frame. Also remember that I am only 18 years old, too! I eat a lot! If you read my other posts, I strictly emphasized that i do not want to starve! I am constantly snacking on healthy food while indulging in some heavy foods on occasion. I definitely eat a lot! I'm Korean and so I'm always eating rice, kimchi, etc... All that good stuff! Please, PLEASE do not worry.
    Secondly, I am not trying to lose drastic weight. A lot of you are saying horrific things that I could DIE. I am already 56 kg. All I'm asking to do is slim up and lose only 3 more kilos and maintain that weight to have a more slim look. We all have different perceptions of what looks good on our own bodies, thus we strive for different things
    Thirdly, I mentioned how incredible this online community can be. Like I said, it's great people can be so open and talk about their achievements and goals on this forum. I just hope you all would carry that same mentality when writing to people who tend to be on the slimmer, fit side. You can't be so quick to judge people immediately and start writing such malicious things. I appreciate your concern but in NO WAY do I have some sort of image issue.
    Lastly, I love my body, absolutely! And I am seeking to be the best possible version of myself! I eat well, train hard, and am very happy! During my senior year of high school, I was so emotionally and physically drained from such strenuous school work. I was taking such bad care of myself that once Spring came around, I was determined to make myself better again. I wanted to feel energetic, motivated, and lively. And that's what I did! And that is what I will continue to do I hope you will all come to realize my situation and support me in my continuous journey of health. If there is anything else you would like to know, ask, whatever, feel free to message me. I will be happy to address you personally there.
    Thank you all.

P.S. For the record, this is a picture of me. I want to prove to you guys that I am not on the verge of "breaking" nor am I looking like a "cancer patient"....

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/581756_10152861038345543_2054326911_n.jpg
    I actually replied your other thread in good faith and now I am cross. You ARE underweight. I can tell this from looking at your photos and from the fact that you have been binge-ing - I don't need to know what your weight is. Listen to your body. The fact that you are aiming to be even thinner suggests that you're probably wandering into ED territory (if not there already - some of us have been there, done that, got the T shirt and GOT OUT before we became completely messed up).

This has zilch to do with genetics or being Korean/East Asian or whatever (at least it only has to do with that in so far as you might be under more pressure to become dangerously underweight which appears to have sadly become a desired ideal for particularly Korean women). The number of women I've come across online and in real life pulling this 'I'm Asian therefore I'm meant to look emaciated' stunt - whilst eating less than the average toddler - is baffling.

Do not seek validation for your poor choices, seek help. In fact forget everything I said about body recomposition/weights etc - work on accepting yourself now first.
  • lsj77
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Thank you all.

I actually replied your other thread in good faith and now I am cross. You ARE underweight. I can tell this from looking at your photos and from the fact that you have been binge-ing - I don't need to know what your weight is. Listen to your body. The fact that you are aiming to be even thinner suggests that you're probably wandering into ED territory (if not there already - some of us have been there, done that, got the T shirt and GOT OUT before we became completely messed up).

This has zilch to do with genetics or being Korean/East Asian or whatever (at least it only has to do with that in so far as you might be under more pressure to become dangerously underweight which appears to have sadly become a desired ideal for particularly Korean women). The number of women I've come across online and in real life pulling this 'I'm Asian therefore I'm meant to look emaciated' stunt - whilst eating less than the average toddler - is baffling.

Do not seek validation for your poor choices, seek help. In fact forget everything I said about body recomposition/weights etc - work on accepting yourself now first.

By binge, I mean short indulgences of more decadent foods like cakes and cookies. I don't mean an eating disorder where I uncontrollably eat and then try and purge. God no, it is definitely not like that.
    Looking at my photos? What photos. Yes, that photo of my stomach shows that I am slim, that is when I was at my lowest weight (North of 54 kg) and in the morning when I had a flatter stomach so my abs were peeking through. As for my other photo, I don't know how you can be so quick to judge that I am UNDERWEIGHT in a negative connotation.
    Actually, it does have something to do with genetics. Just in the same way obesity has something to do with genetics. You're right Korean women prefer to be thin. Does that make it okay to accuse me of having a problem? Would you say the American's stunt is "I'm America therefore I'm meant to look like a fat hog"? NO. So please, keep your harsh sentiments to yourself.
  • lsj77
    Options

"I just hope you don't die first from malnutrition." Are you kidding me. That is a terrible thing to say. Please read my post about my whole situation, clearing the air of what you guys might think. You are the epitome of the kind of person i am targeting in that post - judging others without knowing the context of the situation. I am far from malnutritioned and far from having an eating disorder. It's not my fault my genes have made me naturally thin.