Fellow Recent Quitters?

Options
Hello...as many of you know I have quit smoking several times and I ALWAYS give in. I'm hoping not to give in this time. I have a 7 month old daughter (wow it feels strange to say that lol) and I don't want her growing up with a mother who has horrible destructive habits such as smoking and drinking. I always smoke outside, so that really isn't an issue, as far as Taylor getting second hand smoke. That being said, I have managed to quit for 8 months b4, while pregnant with her, and I CAVED about 3 weeks after she was born. I went out, had some drinks and quickly began smoking again. I wish I had never started again, but the fact of the matter is this; I like to smoke. Soooo, where does that leave me? I want to quit for more than just my daughter, I also want to quit for me, to feel healthier and smell better. I don't like having to stop kissing my husband when he gets frisky to run in and brush my tetth b/c I get self councious about my smoker's breath *hahahaha* OK, so I am REALLY trying this time..yet again *LOL* and I was wondering if anyone else had just recently quit or wants to try to quit together? I have doen this b4 and I know how awful and it can be. I'm only into day 2 and my throat hurts and I've pretty much been a bag all day lol

Replies

• laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Hello...as many of you know I have quit smoking several times and I ALWAYS give in. I'm hoping not to give in this time. I have a 7 month old daughter (wow it feels strange to say that lol) and I don't want her growing up with a mother who has horrible destructive habits such as smoking and drinking. I always smoke outside, so that really isn't an issue, as far as Taylor getting second hand smoke. That being said, I have managed to quit for 8 months b4, while pregnant with her, and I CAVED about 3 weeks after she was born. I went out, had some drinks and quickly began smoking again. I wish I had never started again, but the fact of the matter is this; I like to smoke. Soooo, where does that leave me? I want to quit for more than just my daughter, I also want to quit for me, to feel healthier and smell better. I don't like having to stop kissing my husband when he gets frisky to run in and brush my tetth b/c I get self councious about my smoker's breath *hahahaha* OK, so I am REALLY trying this time..yet again *LOL* and I was wondering if anyone else had just recently quit or wants to try to quit together? I have doen this b4 and I know how awful and it can be. I'm only into day 2 and my throat hurts and I've pretty much been a bag all day lol
  • Mary24
    Mary24 Posts: 398
    Options
    Hi my husband and l quit smoking together in Oct it will be 2 years since I have had one here and there but never started up agian.

Good luck you can do this.:flowerforyou:
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I quit about a year and a half ago cold turkey. I'll be honest - the first 3 or 4 months were brutal, but once you pass that, you're home free!!!

My best advice - try not to be a "bag" - find things to keep yourself busy. And stay away from trigger situations - big meals, long car rides, bars, etc. when you can. Tell everyone around you of your choice so they can back you up! You'll feel sooooo good once you've quit!:flowerforyou:
  • stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    Options
    I quit about 12 years ago.

Before that I tried numerous times to quit. Some times stayed smoke free for a while and then started again. That is unfortunately very common.

You are already at day 2 !

HANG IN THERE! oNLY A FEW MORE DAYS BEFORE YOU ARE OVER THE PHYSICAL WITHDAWAL!

As to motivation after that: make a list of situations that are tempting and then try to avoid them.
  • laurenk182004
    Options
    Thanks you guys! I know I can do this, it's just a matter of willpower...and MAN does it take a HUGE amount of willpower not to go buy a pack. Congrats to you, you've all done very well!
  • laurenk182004
    Options
    Thanks stschulz, great suggestion! And WTG for 12 years!
  • aaubrey
    aaubrey Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I quit 2 months ago. I would tell myself 1000x's a day that if I could get through the first 3 days that I was over it and it was all in my head. tic tacs, red licorice and pretzel rods with me at all times. Then I did things like scrub the grout in my bathtub with a toothbrush,..It is doable. Dont drink for a long time, you cant do it most of us cant. I know I cant. Avoid big meals and long car rides like said above. But what it really comes down to is everytime your mind tricks you into just 1 more you are starting that damn clock ALL over again, You just have 30 hours to go. go to bed earl if you can lol...You can do it you just have to really be ready. that is what I was always told. That if you were ready it would be easier. OH! and avoid convenience stores...that is where we buy them:ohwell:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I don't smoke and never have but thought this might be some motivation for you--

I've been riding all over these rural roads around this area and sometimes I go by a house and can smell the cigarette smoke coming from it! Can you imagine what it must be like inside that house if you can smell it outside on the road passing by??

And also, remember the health of your child--my mom and dad both smoked and I stayed in the hospital when I was young with asthma. But they didn't know about 2nd hand smoke then. But now, there's no excuse.

You can do this! Don't let a plant have control over your life!
  • jpketz
    jpketz Posts: 73
    Options
    One craving at a time! My dad taught me that technique and it worked for me to quit a 2 pack/day habit about 20 years ago. It's basically just being mindful of the cravings and realizing while you're having one that "this craving is shorter than the last one" and "the next one will be shorter than this one". Then just ride it out until it goes away--which it always does.

Hang in there!

And if you're not in California, don't come here! The whole state is on fire and being outside is like being in a smoke-filled room.