why do i gain so much so quick

Options
Becca21
Becca21 Posts: 361 Member
Hiya
so on sunday i was 197lbs did a 10k race and had one chippy yesterday and now today im up to 201lbs
when ever i dont drink as much water as i normally do or if i eat just 1 take away i gain weight.

why is this.

Replies

• bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I think it's probably that you are prone to water retention. If you had salt on your chippy (mmm salivating now), the carbs and high salt are probably to blame. I am guessing that if you drank loads and reduced carbs for a day, it would come back off the next day.
  • Sieden76
    Sieden76 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I think it is water retention too. I do not think that you should limit carb intake though. Lots of fruits and veggies do a body good. Stay away from salt for a few days and drink lots and lots of water and you should be fine.
  • MACnificence
    MACnificence Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Yes 100% water weight don't fret about it , if I have soy sauce I could be up 2 Ibs the next day just keep drinking water and it will drop again within the next few days !! Don't worry it's not a fat gain you need 3500 calories over your maintainance to gain 1Ib
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Maybe the sodium from the fish and chips has made you retain more water then usual. You should even back out during the week. To Gain 1LB OF FAT you need to eat 3500 calories over your daily calorie amount (excluding eating back exercise calories, these do not count) so when you see a few lb gain over night its usually just water. Nice job on your 10k BTW xxx
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me this week. I normally only weigh myself on a Wednesday morning, but I had a sneaky weigh-in on Monday (after a 5 mile run on Sunday) and was pleased to note that I'd lost 2lbs. Then I had a day off work on Tuesday so went for a pub lunch with my fiancé and treated myself to some chips (within my calorie allowance :-) and by Wednesday I'd put that 2lb back on :-( It's annoying, but I have to keep remembering that this diet is a life-long change - a little fluctuation now and then is normal, as long as the overall trend isn't upwards, we should be fine :-)
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Hiya
    so on sunday i was 197lbs did a 10k race and had one chippy yesterday and now today im up to 201lbs
    when ever i dont drink as much water as i normally do or if i eat just 1 take away i gain weight.

why is this.

I gain weight when I go way over on sodium too. Usually I try not to go way over near weigh in days but early in the week I will leave room for it.
  • angrybirdfunny
    Options
    Then, go for workouts again. Lol.