Low sodium foods

Options
JDBLY11
JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
Hi, I have a major problem with going over on sodium, even when I eat relatively healthy at home. I understand going over when I eat out, but not when I eat pretty well at home.

Even a can of beans, tuna fish, or my protein powder have a lot of sodium. ( I will have to change the kind I get for this reason.) Just these three things adds up to about 2100 grams of sodium. My light ranch salad dressing has a lot of sodium too.

How do those of you who eat low sodium do it? It would be nice to see your food journals to get some ideas.

Replies

• Lylie1985
    Lylie1985 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    my diary is open. It can be hard keeping under on sodium but I try and pre-plan my day and adjust bits here and there as I need too :)
  • BrittanyMegan88
    BrittanyMegan88 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I avoid eating canned foods as much as possible & that helps tons with keeping down the sodium levels. Also switching the tyypes of spices and stuff that you cook with helps too. A lot of seasonings seem to have added salt & if you look for ones that don't it can make a pretty big difference. Most condiments and crackers seem to have a lot of sodium too so I reduced the portion sizes of condiments that I use now by about 75% and I eat a lot less crackers. Also, if you like to add salt to stuff vinegar seems to be a pretty good replacement..
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys. I actually don't usually add a lot of salt to foods. It seems to be already in the foods I eat. I will try to stay away from canned foods in the future and try to find condiments with less sodium. I love herbs too and like to use them.
  • NunoPiresCosta
    Options
    Even a can of beans, tuna fish, or my protein powder have a lot of sodium. ( I will have to change the kind I get for this reason.) Just these three things adds up to about 2100 grams of sodium.

Thanks.... I needed to find sodium sources and you gave me some ideas :-)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1003846-need-5x-more-sodium

See my diary for low sodium, if that's what you need.
    I have been on a <500 a day so I need to balance it upwards.
  • jolt28
    jolt28 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I found some great no salt added canned veggies and beans at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. And StarKist makes pouches of lower sodium tuna. I had a hard time with the sodium at first too - still do sometimes lol. No frozen meals for me, rarely eat anything from a restaurant - even grilled chicken salads have a ton of sodium. Cook lots of grilled chicken and homemade food on Sundays to have all week :)