just a coincidence?

Options
Hmm the month of March I gave up wine and I lost 10 lbs. In the 2 months since I've gone back to wine, I've gained 3 lbs.

Just a coincidence? I think not.

No wine for a month for me.

Anyone want to join me in this marathon?

Replies

• PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I'd give up my right arm before I gave up wine. :angry:

How much weight do you think I'd lose if I gave up my right arm?
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I gave it (and all alcohol) for Lent back in the winter. I have since returned to drinking it and have not put on any weight. I don't drink as much as I used to though and between drinks, I always have a glass of water so I tend to drink A LOT less.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Hmm the month of March I gave up wine and I lost 10 lbs. In the 2 months since I've gone back to wine, I've gained 3 lbs.

By this logic all the folks who don't drink at all should be skinny.

Maybe whats happening is that you aren't properly counting the calories in the wine or not properly counting calories at all. I would focus on counting calories better and logging everything with the right portion size.

Good luck
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I'd give up my right arm before I gave up wine. :angry:

How much weight do you think I'd lose if I gave up my right arm?

Well I dunno, how much does your arm weigh? :laugh:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

By this logic all the folks who don't drink at all should be skinny.

Maybe whats happening is that you aren't properly counting the calories in the wine or not properly counting calories at all. I would focus on counting calories better and logging everything with the right portion size.

Good luck

This.

Just log the calories and make it fit if you want to keep it. That said, I don't drink often because I like to use the calories for delicious chocolate instead.
  • katmariew
    katmariew Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Alcohol has a lot more calories than people think. When I found out that my shot of vodka was nearly 200 calories, I freaked. So I took a 90 minute walk before going out with friends just so I could have ONE drink. Wine is worse in some cases because of all of that sugar, and you get a larger volume of wine.

Just track it in MFP and treat it like any other food :)
  • sarantonio
    sarantonio Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    How big was your shot of vodka? because mine is 78 (76.. cant remember)
  • maruby95
    maruby95 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I find the bigger problem with wine (and any other alcohol) is not necessarily the calories in the wine, but the lack of self-control that comes with the glass of wine. A glass or 2 of wine is followed by a few cookies, chocolate, a few handfuls of nuts or some cheese. The alcohol totally "loosens my grip" in terms of food choices.

Still drink it though :).
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I find the bigger problem with wine (and any other alcohol) is not necessarily the calories in the wine, but the lack of self-control that comes with the glass of wine. A glass or 2 of wine is followed by a few cookies, chocolate, a few handfuls of nuts or some cheese. The alcohol totally "loosens my grip" in terms of food choices.

Still drink it though :).

I had this problem! We'd go to the pub and if I didn't grab a packet of crisps while there, I'd come home and eat something here and it usually wasn't healthy!
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I was drinking a glass a night and keeping under my calorie limit and was not seeing any weight loss, so my sister recommended that I give it up for a month. I did and I still didn't lose, so hey I am back to drinking a few glasses a week and I haven't gained or lost. So no, I can't join you. It keeps me sane when I am super grumpy from not eating enough. :drinker:
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    If you find difficult to stop at just one glass, perhaps you shouldn't drink at all.

I make room for it in my calorie allowance, measure out 5 oz, and enjoy it heartily. Often with steak. My body fat is well under control.
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    Everyone has their own choice to make regarding alcohol. Me...heck no. I eat bacon, I drink beer, I drink whiskey. Just account for it.
  • SpazQ
    SpazQ Posts: 104
    Options
    I do not deprive myself of red wine. Or vodka. I drink vodka with club soda and lemon/lime slices. I don't drink every day even though I would like to. LOL.

Lyle McDonald mentioned either on his website or in one of his books that :

women who drink tend to be thinner because they drink instead of eat.
    men who drink tend to be heavier because they drink on top of what they eat

and if you know Lyle, he doesn't just throw stuff like this out there.
  • sammycat1
    sammycat1 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Good replies everyone thanks. I don't drink every night and I can leave it during the week. I usually have half bottle on a friday night, and sometimes a full bottle on saturday night. I know a full bottle has about 750 calories!

I can't just have one measured glass it would have to be 2 or 3 so may just experiment and count it in and see if I have a loss nest week.

I'm unable to exercise at the moment because of an injury, so counting becomes all the more important.