Is it a myth?

tschaff04
tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member
That your stomach shrinks when you start eating smaller portions? Like if I eat mostly healthy, but have a big dinner and possibly big lunch, will my stomach be bigger(need more to satisfy hunger) than if I ate smaller meals, even possibly more frequently?

I heard this is true and it struck me as a hmmm...moment. I don't know. Is this true?

Replies

• MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    I adjusted to a lower calorie intake by consistently eating that way for several weeks. The cravings diminished.

However, I doubt this is because my stomach is smaller. I can still eat waaaay too much, but chose not to.
  • MrBillson
    MrBillson Posts: 5
    No, your stomach does not change size to accommodate the amount of food you put into it. Just as your lungs do not shrink if you take shorter breaths.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    I don't think it will shrink beyond a certain point, but if it's been stretched from a habit of excessive overeating, it will probably shrink mostly back to its more natural state. It won't happen with just one big meal or one little meal, though.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    No, your stomach does not change size to accommodate the amount of food you put into it. Just as your lungs do not shrink if you take shorter breaths.
    that's a very bad comparison as the stomach is totally different physiologically to lungs. Stomachs can stretch as is shown by those who have the size reduced by surgery and then by overeating manage to stretch them back to accommodate larger amounts of food. If your stomach has stretched greater than normal it may reduce slightly over time of your eating smaller portions. However it's not going to greatly reduce in size. It's more of a case of starting to listen to the messages that you are full than your stomach shrinking
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    I don't know if it actually physically shrinks, but you definitely do get used to eating smaller portions and feel fuller with less over time.