Confused by proteins.

Options
Hello!

I've been weight lifting for several years. I'm also rather overweight so I want to lose weight. Now when I look around on the internet, alot of people claim that 1 g proten / kg bodyweight is needed for the body not to burn muscle.

The site adviced me to eat around 70 grams of protein / day (which is far under my bodyweight at currently 125 kg).
Am I supposed to eat more protein or just follow what the site reccomends?

Best regards.

Replies

• mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I am no expert by any stretch but I am a female, only 5lbs from my goal now and I almost 150 gr of protein a day because I strength train, with that much protein I also drink a gallon of water a day to flush the system for absorption. This was based on advice from my fitness/strength training friends who work with excellent trainers/nutritionists.

The protein levels set by MFP is FAR too low IMO.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I think MFP has their protein goals set rather low. I try to aim for at least 1 gram per pound of lean body mass. I have roughly 93 pounds of LBM (I don't know my exact bf%, but it's somewhere around 27%). I make try to never go under 80 grams of protein a day, but I'm really aiming for somewhere in the mid-90s.
  • LoudmouthLee
    LoudmouthLee Posts: 358
    Options
    I'm currently 5'9, 195 pounds (which makes me at around 90 kg). I try to eat between 140g-175g of protein a day (560-700 calories out of a 2000-2500 calorie day). I'm generally 45% carb, 30% protein and 25% fat.

Your mileage may vary, but that's what I do (I lift 3 days a week, and do cardio 6 days a week)
  • subotai2
    subotai2 Posts: 9
    Options
    Ok, so I need way more protein then. I weightlift about 3 times per week, will start doing more cardio after my exams. Will around 100 g of protein per day be enough? I have no idea what my bodyfat % is but there is no way I have 127 kg of lean body mass (then I wouldnt need weight loss in the first place).
  • Sandigesha
    Sandigesha Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Normally for a 90 kg person 200g of protein is a minimum. As you are bigger, try eating 250g.
  • subotai2
    Options
    Wow. 250 grams of protein sounds so much. I cant have 100 kg of lean bodymass, then I wouldnt be this fat.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you don't know your bf% aim for 0.8 grams of protein per lb of body weight which would be 1.75 grams per KG, so at 127KG's that would be 222 grams minimum, which will help retain muscle as you lose weight.
  • Tarikisan
    Tarikisan Posts: 2
    Options
    0.6g to 0.82g of protein per pound of body weight, as a minimum
    0.4g of fat per pound of body weight as a minimum
    the rest on carbs, protein and fat as you please.
  • subotai2
    Options
    Ok so that makes it about 0.4 x 279 = 111,6 and 0.6*279 = 167,4. It's still alot but probobly more realistic than 250 g.