Day 2 using myfitnesspal

Options
Hi, I am a 51 year old women who has let herself get out of control with my weight. I had lost over 50 pounds 2 years ago and it has come all back plus!! I am so disgusted with myself. My husband and i recently relocated to Bowling Green, KY and am so happy for the change of environment - but I am getting stressed because I haven't found a job yet. I know I can use this extra time on my hands to walk, and exercise, but I find myself searching for jobs online, or sitting watching afternoon tv. or making excuses to myself that I am tired, or my knees hurt or it is too hot outside. My husband has put on weight too-he says he walks enough at work and uses that as his exercise. I watched the show extreme weightloss Monday night and it made me cry-because I know how easy the weight can come on, but not so easy to take off without the motivation. I am determined after watching those two kids lose the weight to make some changes in my lifestyle and my husbands. First step is to track what I am eating. I know how to do it, I just need to be motivated. I have two beautiful grandsons that I want to be around for a long time to enjoy. I also realized that I need to lose the weight for myself, not for anyone else. So, if my husband wants to sit on his butt that doesn't mean I have to. It isn't going to be easy, because it is just him and me here. I find encouragement reading other's posts and I do wish you all the success on your journey too. :flowerforyou: :

Replies

• harvz58
    harvz58 Posts: 1
    Options
    Good on you, and good luck with your weight loss goals.

I am new to contributing here, but I can recommend using MyFittnessPal highly.

I have lost over 30 pounds in the last six months and am now pretty much just maintaining my weight, but found MFP to be extremely helpful during the first three months especially. It was during this time, I lost most of my weight (over 20 pounds in the first eight weeks).

By the way, the method I use to manage my weight has not required any more exercise than a 30 minute walk each week, and I am now a convert to reducing sugar in our diets.

Anyway, good luck, and keep referring to MFP daily. it really does help.
  • FindingTimeForMe
    FindingTimeForMe Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    April -- I was touched by your entry (felt some pain coming through your words). I am not sure where you are spiritually but I instantly thought of American Idols, Candace Glover's new song "I am Beautiful." Listen to the words and know that the Lord made you special just as you are. He wants you to work on what you can work on but love the basic YOU!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf18VXI3s5c

BTW - I too struggle with similiar things. Life is not easy and we feel like we lose control. I often have to ask myself "Am I the one allowing this to happen?"

Lifestyle changes and planning are the keys. Make a meal plan for the week and then everyday make a meal plan for the day. Plan ahead your week of exercise and resolve that your are going to do it. If you get side tracked reschedule the workout for later that day or the next day but don't get discouraged. Start to feel the addiction to exercise and how great it makes you feel.

Like you said you have to do it for you. Your spouse will begin to reap the benefits too because you will be cheery and have more energy. His decision to exercise or diet must be his. The most you can do is be a good role model.

The job will come your way. Just be patient. Send me a friend request if you want. I work in HR and would be happy to look at your resume if you want.

Stay motivated and know you are beautiful and deserve the best!!!!
  • Putcake
    Putcake Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hi April! We're glad you're here! I just joined this site last month and I'm loving it. I used another site and I really wish I had found MFP earlier because I've been so much more successful this time with weight loss.

You've already made a big step joining, so now participate. Respond to topics, enter your food/exercise, and cheer on others - it's a great feeling to convey support because you know you will get it back!