ISO Lentil recipe

Options
bfowler20
bfowler20 Posts: 4 Member
Hi all!
I can honestly say I have never tried lentils. It's time I did. Can anyone share a tasty recipe for me to try?
Thanks guys!!

Replies

• ecilaaa
    ecilaaa Posts: 16
    Options
    Lentils are the best, you can use them in a variety of ways! My personal fave is making a stew/chili or soup out of them. So you could just make a normal chili (cut up veggies, put in your tomatoes etc) and then just add lentils. Same for the soup, just boil a bunch of veggies with lentils and some stock, and then blend it all together :)
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I like to do them kind of Indian style... I'll usually boil them in vegetable or chicken stock after frying up some onion, garlic, and peppers. Throw in some garam masala, or just curry powder, or cumin and corriander, etc. Salt and pepper. Toward the end, I toss in some spinach (frozen is fine) and a touch of half and half. Sooooo gooooood. When I eat it for lunch it keeps me full all day!
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Ooo! I also has a friend who swears by lentil burgers. I've done black bean, but haven't tried it with lentils yet. You would cook them up, then mix them up in a bowl with some flour and grains (I use oat bran, but you could do quinoa or whatever you like), some diced veggies (I use onions and peppers. I bet carrots would be good), a dash of Worcestershire sauce, a dash of vinegar. You could add a touch of oil or cheese if you like. Sometimes I add cilantro. Whatever spices you like. An egg helps hold it together, but you can leave that out if you're vegan. Then I put them on a cookie sheet and bake them on around 325 for an hour or so. I flip them once. So good!
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/lentil-cakes-patties/detail.aspx

I have made these for years. I serve with a slice of American cheese, lettuce tomato and ketchup on a bun. Nowadays, I do a lighter version and use corn flakes instead of grape nuts, reduce breadcrumbs to 1/4 cup, use egg substitute sometimes, and only 1/2 of the onion soup mix. I serve on a light bun that's 80 calories. I still do a whole slice of cheese though :)