If I don't change, I'm going to die.

Options
Neshmi
Neshmi Posts: 42 Member
I've been overweight/obese most of my adult life, and I feel like if I don't change now, I'm going to die before long. I have incredibly destructive eating habits, lead a frequently sedentary lifestyle, and I'm absolutely sick of it. Here's the deal:

I currently weight just over 320 lbs, the highest I've ever weighed. In two months I'm heading abroad for a six-week research project that'll have me hiking up and down hills in the desert. I've done this before, but never at this weight, and I'm honestly worried that I won't be able to manage it this time.

I have been eating relatively well the past few days, and I've started walking every day. I'll have access to a gym starting June 1. Basically, I'm looking for some tough loving friends that'll help to keep me on track for the next few months leading up to my trip. Of course, I hope to keep things up well beyond the summer, but I'm thinking short-term first. I'll re-evaluate things when I get back from the trip.

Thanks,

Neshmi

Replies

• GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    You have to start somewhere, and you sound like you are in a good frame of mind to make changes. You just have to take things one day at a time.
  • miami112349
    miami112349 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Look into the fast diet. There's a book. It's 2 days of low-calorie fasting, 5 days of normal eating. I think it re-programs your brain, although that's just my opinion. It's helping me.
  • boarderstu
    boarderstu Posts: 31
    Options
    You have to start somewhere, and you sound like you are in a good frame of mind to make changes. You just have to take things one day at a time.

Definitely - you've got a long term goal, but try find some short-term milestones to tick off too!

Maybe start a blog and right about what you learn? Challenges? Struggles? etc....
  • boarderstu
    Options
    Look into the fast diet. There's a book. It's 2 days of low-calorie fasting, 5 days of normal eating. I think it re-programs your brain, although that's just my opinion. It's helping me.

These only work in the short-term... what happens when you come off the diet?
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Er no.

Consult your doctor if you have the option. If not, seek out your TDEE numbers and eat at a healthy 20% deficit.

MFP does this basic calculation, where you then eat back your calories burned from working out. Heart Rate Monitors (HRM) are your best bet for finding accurate numbers for yourself.

Start off slow, and slowly build. Don't do any fad diets or gimmicks. If it sounds too good to be true. It is.

If you can join a gym and do some weight lifting, that will really help.
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Having some short-term goals is a great way to get started, it helps to keep you motivated to move on to the next goal once you reached a milestone. In the beginning it is difficult, but once you get on track and make eating healthier a habit, it sticks (mostly). Best of luck.
  • boarderstu
    Options
    Er no.

Consult your doctor if you have the option. If not, seek out your TDEE numbers and eat at a healthy 20% deficit.

MFP does this basic calculation, where you then eat back your calories burned from working out. Heart Rate Monitors (HRM) are your best bet for finding accurate numbers for yourself.

Start off slow, and slowly build. Don't do any fad diets or gimmicks. If it sounds too good to be true. It is.

If you can join a gym and do some weight lifting, that will really help.

We need more opinions like this. Don't go for fad diets (The clue is in the name!). Just eat healthy, work out (Weights are great, cardio is too).

There is no magic bullet I'm afraid. Slow and Steady wins the race here.
  • SDHudgins1976
    SDHudgins1976 Posts: 140
    Options
    I know some people that have tried that fast diet and had success, even in the long diet.
    There are different approaches to this though, there's the one miami said, there's also one that has a different pattern of days, and then there's one that's hours within your day... 10-14, 8-16... eat all your calories in the shorter window, and not eating in the larger one.
    I'm about to start the 10-14 fast as soon as I go on summer break (give myself time to adjust to these eating patterns while it's the main thing that I can focus on)
    I think this "fast" would be more easily maintained once you reach maintenance, but I could be wrong!
    However, ultimately calories in<calories out is your goal, I've been doing just the recommended calories by MFP for the last 5 months and made slow progress.
  • Otter1422
    Otter1422 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I was approaching 300 at my max and was at 265 in January when I recommitted to losing weight, I am at 215 now stalled for the last month not eating right but still exercising. I plan to recommit to eating right after my vacation in two weeks as I still have another 50 pounds to lose. You can do this, feel free to add me.
  • frantim528
    frantim528 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome to My Fitness Pal (MFP). You can add me to your friends list if you want to. MFP is mostly encouragement rather than tough love because we aren't there to tell you not to eat something. What really happens is that you are logging everything you eat and you have made your diary view-able to the public or friends. That way when you go to eat something you shouldn't you may hesitate because you'll have to log it later and hopefully your friends will call you out on it later. What kind of weight loss plan do you have. Low carb/high protein, Low fat, calorie counting, etc? Don't forget to search out groups on the board with common weight loss goals or methods. The following two things are just my opinion and you do what you want with them.
    1. Please get a physical with blood work. When I started I was shocked at the blood work numbers. Then a year later I had another physical and it was great to see how everything had come back into normal range. Now that's encouragement!
    2. Check out the Overeaters Anonymous website OA.org. A lot of what you describe is not just physical but emotional. They have helped me tremendously in keeping my weight down.
    Once again welcome to MFP, I look forward to hearing how things work out.
  • fitbody360
    fitbody360 Posts: 1
    Options
    Good news is, you have a few months to prepare for your trip! If you stick to eating healthy and exercising during the next 2 months I'm sure you will lose weight before your trip. It sounds like a great goal! Good luck on your journey!
  • boarderstu
    Options
    Also - if you want some short-term goals... look into Body Fat Index

(I wrote massive rant on BMI/Slim Fast here)

http://www.sklinar.co.uk/2013/05/04/stop-worrying-about-bmi-start-focusing-on-figure-and-goals/
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Neshmi, good luck. It was realizing that I was making myself disabled that got me going a year ago and it's been amazing. Just moving more, and upping your distance a little each day, will help prepare you for your trip's activity level. Be sure while you're there to hydrate and be kind to yourself. On the food front, nothing extreme, so that you are learning how you will be able to eat for the long run not only to lose but to maintain. It's what we all know but often ignore--plenty of fruits and veggies, lean protein, and whole grains. And knowing that any time you eat something not in that group you aren't going to gain 50 pounds or submarine yourself. Sometimes plan a little food diversion and do some extra activity. If you slip, get right back up and keep moving.
  • mfleeg
    mfleeg Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of weight to lose, too! :)

I also feel as though It is hard to have such a big goal and so I have broken things down into small goals, too!
  • Neshmi
    Neshmi Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a great response. Honestly, I'm overwhelmed. I look forward to keeping in touch with all those who have friended me, and I'll keep posting my progress in this thread. Thanks again for everyone's words of encouragement.
  • raleighgoodwins
    raleighgoodwins Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    you are welcome to friend me if you like.

I have been on MFP for a while now but my motivation tends to wax and wane. I am have been on an uptick for the last month or so - logging my calories even when I go over my limit, and logging my exercise. I find that if I conscientiously log everything I put in my mouth 2 things happen. First, I am reinforced to eat healthily because I can see how many calories less healthy food have (a lot) vs. how many healthy foods, like fruits and vegetables have (not too many especially if they are not starchy vegetables). That has really motivated me to eat more fruits and vegetables because I can eat more in quantity and therefore feel more satisfied and less hungry. The second thing that has helped me is logging my exercise. When I see how many calories I can "earn" from exercise I am motivated to exercise nearly every day because then I can eat more. Depending on the exercise I do, i cannot always eat back all my calories burned. Sometimes it's just too much.

the thing that I have found difficult is to sustain my motivation. When I'm actively losing I am motivated because i see the results. But when I start to plateau I find it very difficult to keep going.

I do like the idea of breaking up the total weight loss into smaller goals. That can really help. Research has shown that goals that are too challenging or take too long to achieve are demotivating, so breaking it up into smaller, intermittent weight loss goals could help you through that.

Good Luck! You can do it! Just be patient with yourself, stick to it, and look to the MFP community for support. It's a great community and I have found a lot of support and some really good information from this site.
  • boarderstu
    Options
    Wow, what a great response. Honestly, I'm overwhelmed. I look forward to keeping in touch with all those who have friended me, and I'll keep posting my progress in this thread. Thanks again for everyone's words of encouragement.

Keep it posted on your "Comments" too - as [I don't think] we get notifications of things on the forum...

If you ever need any encouragement - come see me :P
  • keenho
    keenho Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    One day at a time my friend. Best of luck to you! The power to transform your life and body lies within you. Do this for you, for your health and for life.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Just today I read about someone who posted a loss for the last year She followed a saying that helped her..."Losing weight is 95 %
    Choices made & only 5% about food".

I have no fast ways of losing to offer.Try to see a Dr 1st,eat healthy,cut back on portions & remember the desert heat!
    [/quote]
  • mark_in_mo
    mark_in_mo Posts: 19
    Options
    You can totally do this. MFP can help. Diligence will help.
    YOU CAN DO THIS!